Skip to main content

I'm looking at the MyDMX GO to complement my Soundcraft Ui audio mixers and upgrade from $100 lighting controllers and their limitations. I use Netgear dual-band routers for a reliable WiFi connection, with the mixer (essentially a single-purpose computer with inputs and outputs) hardwired to a router switch port via Ethernet cable. I use the 5ghz band for the mixers, but the 2.4ghz network runs simultaneously. I see that the MyDMX GO uses a usb-c port for power, but I don't see an Ethernet port.

What I would like to do is connect the MyDMX GO to the router and use the 2.4 network to provide a robust WiFi connection between the MyDMX GO and the tablet I will use to control the lights. The UI mixers have a built-in WiFi hotspot that is really shaky technology and has trouble staying connected, a WiFi connection option that can access an existing network, and the hardwired Ethernet option that I use. The trick for a stable connection is to use the Ethernet option and disable the hotspot and WiFi options, giving the mixer a static IP address to avoid DHCP issues.

I've read that some MyDMX GO users have issues staying connected to the onboard router that sound a lot like the connectivity issues that the UI mixers had with their onboard routers. My thinking is to continue using the 5ghz network for the mixer and use the 2.4 network to run the MyDMX GO. The router and mixer are right next to each other, and it would be easy to put the MyDMX GO there too, then connect to the lighting fixtures with the wireless link I've been using successfully for a while now.

In other words, the router would connect with a tablet wirelessly for control, hardwired via Ethernet to the MyDMX GO, and wirelessly again from the MyDMX GO to the fixtures. It would be really elegant to have a single router handle both networks.

Sounds feasible in theory, but the MyDMX GO only has the one USB port and needs that for power? I'm starting to read up on power over Ethernet and USB-to-Ethernet adapters, and I wonder if some combination of dongles would make it work. I wish ADJ would add either a second USB port, an Ethernet port, or a jack for a wall wart power supply to free up the port for external connectivity.

Anyone tried this before? Thanks!

Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.