Skip to main content

Hi:

This is my first post on this forum and would like to thank in advance for the support.

I recently bought a DP-2 midi controller which works flawlessly with Virtual DJ 7. It is a great piece of hardware and do highly recommend this unit to anyone in the need of an excellent DJ midi controller.

On the other hand, I also bought the SDJ-2 player which is also a very nice product. I am currently using it as a "backup" system in case my laptop crashes, but here are a couple of issues that I would like to be solved:

1. The music coming from the SD Cards (16 GB Class 6 ADATA SDHC Cards) has constant audio glitches... They are always present on all tracks, but seem to appear randomly during the lenght of the song. In other words, if I play the same track again without "unloading" it from the deck, the annoying sound imperfections remain in specific points during the song; if I "reload" the song, thess glitches change their position on the track, but are still present.

2. I bought a 16 GB Kingston USB Flash Drive, but haven't been able to get the SDJ-2 to recognize it. I have tried using FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, HFS+ (Mac) formats, but no luck yet. I have also tried "drag and drop" songs directly to the flash drive as well as using folders with songs on them (just like I have on the SD Cards) but nothing.

Thanks again for your kind suggestions, and have a nice week everybody.

Alex.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello there, I invite you to read this post of mine :
http://forums.americandj.com/e...91099573/m/461100167

I had the same problem than you, but I realized that it depends on the SDHC card brand you take for some odd reason I can't explain! So far I tested a few brands, I had no problem with Transcend, TDE Systems and No Name (some shit made in Hong Kong bought on Ebay). However, the songs tend to skip and/or have loud audio glitches that sounds like your speaker wants to explode with Kodak. Try a few brands and stick with the same as much as possible if it does the job.

As stated in my post, don't use USB devices, if you use that, go with any other model from any other brand. My opinion.

Hope this helps!
Hey DJ Martin! Thanks a lot for the input. It is very useful for all of us who are American Audio fans!

I had already read your brilliant review and couldn't agree more with everything you say on it. However, I'd like to ask you something that is not clear enough for me. When you say that brands like Transcend have worked fine with your SDJ-2, do you actually mean that on those SDHC cards "the songs DO NOT tend to skip and/or have loud audio glitches that sounds like your speaker wants to explode with Kodak"? Or are you saying that they do work but have this issues also, whereas with other brands the unit doesn't work at all?

On the other hand, I'd like to share to the community that I have organized my folders by # and A-Z, each containing songs that start with the corresponding letter or number and I have not had any problem finding my tunes really really fast. I am currently using my iPod Classic on the USB port and have copied from my laptop to the iPod's HD the # and A-Z folders. It works flawlessly! It is a shame I haven't figured out how to make my 16GB USB Flash Drive get recognized by the SDJ-2 though.

Thanks for the feedback and hope to hear soon from you mate!

Alex.
I had no problems meaning no problems at all. I thrown tons of parties and the sound was just great. I'm trying to stick to Transcend and TDE Systems because I know they work fine, but you know... I run after rebates, so when there was this huge Kodak clearance at 10$ for 8GB, I jumped on it, but now regret it! LOL!
My dear friend "Martin The Sky":

I bought a couple of 16 GB Class 10 Transcend SDHC Cards and...

THE UNIT WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to share this to all the American Audio fans or users around the globe who are considering to get this equipment: DO NOT HESITATE IN GETTING YOURSELVES THIS AWESOME AND TOTALLY RELIABLE UNIT! I still can't believe how great this baby works. It is absolutely a MUST to have on your gear as a D.J.!

After getting it to work, I just had to get myself another one and am more than convinced that American Audio rocks and rocks and rocks!!!!

Cheers mate! ...and thanks for the advice. My D.J. pals (5) have already ordered theirs after messing around with this jewel...!
IMPORTANT UPDATE...

I bought a couple of 32 GB... YES 32 GB Class 10 Transcend SDHC Cards and...

THE UNIT WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to share this to all the American Audio fans or users around the globe who are still considering to get this now hard-to-get equipment: DO NOT HESITATE IN GETTING YOURSELVES THIS AWESOME AND TOTALLY RELIABLE UNIT! I still can't believe how great this baby works. It is absolutely a MUST to have specially as a back up system on your gear as a D.J.!

Cheers!
D.J. Castol

P.S.: Check it out here!:

http://es-es.facebook.com/phot...78480&type=3&theater
Hey dear American Audio fellow mates!

Just to keep you updated... My SDJ-2s have been rocking and rolling still flawlessly for a while now, Yeaaaah! Wink

Nonetheless, I recently found a not so new unit (2008?) apparently sold in the UK which is almost an exact copy of this baby. The brand name is JB Systems and the model is MSD-900:

http://www.djresource.eu/Gearb.../JB-Systems-MSD-900/

However, the main difference between our awesome model and the UK one is that the SDJ-2 has a Mic Input whereas the MSD-900 has another USB input and not any Mic input at all. I read the manual for the MSD-900 and besides some other minor differences between the two of them, a very very nice feature on the JB Systems model is that you can adjust the Pitch Bend Parameter on the Setup Menu. I wish this feature was available on the SDJ-2 because we can only seem to bend "increasingly" with a not so useful 100% range. So with this somehow limited option, the bending feature becomes almost inconvenient.

I re-checked the user manual on the SDJ-2 and on page 33 (Specifications) it clearly says:

Pitch Bend: +/- 4%, +/- 8%, +/- 16%, (+/- 100% with Jog Wheel).

If anyone knows how to modify this parameter (percentage) on the Pitch Bend I would very gladly be willing to learn it!

Thanks for any response to this thread, specially to "Martin The Sky" or any American Audio official crew member!

Cheers, D.J. Castol Cool
hello american audio. can you or anybody here help me confirm the SDJ2 compatibility of SDHC cards brands like Imation, TDK or Fujitsu? Aside from Transcend which is a compatible brand, could you please name other brands? I have been using Kingston 8gb class 4/6 which is rather slow in reading, and PQI too. thanks
quote:
Originally posted by arman:
hello american audio. can you or anybody here help me confirm the SDJ2 compatibility of SDHC cards brands like Imation, TDK or Fujitsu? Aside from Transcend which is a compatible brand, could you please name other brands? I have been using Kingston 8gb class 4/6 which is rather slow in reading, and PQI too. thanks

We recommend that you use a Hi-speed SD card whether its normal or High Capacity. I would not use nothing less than a 6, and for larger card like a 32Gb a class 10.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.