Skip to main content

I have four DJ Scan 250 EX scanners. I really like all of the features on this low priced fixture.

However, it seems as though the light has to scroll though the gobo's and/or colors before it arrives at the programmed scene.

Is this normal? Or is a programming error?

Thanks, in advance, for the advice.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I program all of my intells with (typically) an Operator Pro. I also have a Show Designer 2, but haven't had time to learn it yet.

So, to clarify. I have a scene programmed in to the Operator Pro. When I hit the scene button, the lights cycle/scroll through each color and gobo until they arrive at the color/gobo that I programmed. ...then everything is fine. But why do they have to scroll while the light is "on"? Why don't they scroll first, then turn light on?

Is this a characteristic of this low priced fixture or a problem with my programming?

Thanks
This is also normal for this light fixture. It will scroll through the color/gobo wheel when changing scenes until it reaches the assigned position. You might be able to work around this by programming a black scene prior to each scene. For example; scene 1 will be a blackout scene and have all positions of scene 2, but with no lamp output. This way when scene 2 is triggered it will pretty much just open the shutter and automatically be on the assigned color/gobo.

Make sense?
Yes, Sergio. That makes sense - not really - but I understand your point. I know it's probably cheaper to do it this way, but why would a light be made to function this way? It's really distracting and amatuer looking, don't you think?

I was hoping that this was a programming error - it seems that creating a black scene in between would be a waste of time.

Are there other scanners that I should be looking at that don't do this?
Easyrider wassup? This would not be a programming error, cause actually the spinning of the color wheel and gobo wheels together or seperate are actually very popular effects i use em and i like em. i also use black or "prep" scenes as i like to call it. in fact prep or black scenes are used industry wide for lighitng. i bet you if you went to a concert and after the end of the first song it goes black and u look at the truss you see lights moving back to a certain position, that would be a black or prep scene. and no ALL moving lights do this unless you buy a DL from high end. That is a projector so there would be no need to scroll a wheel. Sincerely,
Ah, so - said young grasshopper. LOL!

Well, maybe I need to brush up on my programming skills. I actually haven't really practiced or learned much. ...had a bunch of lights, set up some scenes and play the same chases/scenes each show.

Prep scene.

Some of the hardest issues have an easy answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:
Easyrider wassup? This would not be a programming error, cause actually the spinning of the color wheel and gobo wheels together or seperate are actually very popular effects i use em and i like em. i also use black or "prep" scenes as i like to call it. in fact prep or black scenes are used industry wide for lighitng. i bet you if you went to a concert and after the end of the first song it goes black and u look at the truss you see lights moving back to a certain position, that would be a black or prep scene. and no ALL moving lights do this unless you buy a DL from high end. That is a projector so there would be no need to scroll a wheel. Sincerely,
Thanks. I'm sure I can't/don't want to afford that feature on a club circuit budget.

I used to have some of the older DJ Scan 250's with the silver/gray casing. I don't recall them cycling through the gobos/colors (using same board). That's why I thought it was a programming error.

I really like the DJ Scans - output is comparable at that price point, but I LOVE the shields over the mirror for transport. That is such an important feature for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:
Also easy rider a feature you may want to look at is called vector mode. its where it will not open the shutter until either the pan and tilt motors have stopped moving or until all the wheels have stopped moving. I don't believe this is a feature on your lights.
Sincerely,
Well also look at it from your audience perspective. they are on a dance floor doing there thing to the music, they are not going to take the time to notice and possibly complain about a few gobos being visible for a second or two now will they? if anything program your fades in a shorter interval that way the fixture will jump through the wheel to get to the programmed gobo or use gobos that are one or two away from the desired gobo. i'm sure you can assign fades per channel on the SD2 you have, i would really start learning that board as it has MANY more features for programming versus an dmx op. one last thing, You get what you pay for and with ADJ that is usually more than other companies feature wise that is. Sincerely,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.