Skip to main content

Gentlemen,
I want to experiment with my LED pars using their own sound-to-light function. They work great at low volumes, but the louder the music gets the faster they change colour. At gig volumes they would just flicker uselessly, mainly in white. I saw a band doing exactly this recently and man, did they waste some money to get a flickering white light effect!
Has anyone ever found the circuit schematic or done a mod to the circuit board to slug this response? (I tried putting blu-tac over the sensor - no change!) If I knew what the circuit was I'm sure there'll be a simple mod of changing a resistor value or something.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hey, while it is not exactly recommended to go in and change things as it voids your warranty should ur led ever need repair but have u tried adjusting the sensitivity knob to low? um i have not see na schematic on the pc board so i dunno im sure you could get a hold of tech support and ask for one but you never know. peace! jingles.
I bought these second hand, so there's no warranty. Unfortunately they don't have a sensitivity knob - only one for 'speed' which controls their pre-programmed change pattern and has no effect when they're switched to 'music'. What I'll do if I got the schematic is replace the relevant resistor with a pot, to make a sensitivity control.
Cheers,
Craig
You could simply program scenes in a DMX controller that has sound response and then make a chase sequence. Since you'd have more control over the timing of changes, you can gain the control back that you want from those LED Par64's.

That would be more of a smart thing to do. But hey, if you feel adventurous with a soldering iron, you'd be best using a pot to take care of it. You shouldn't need a resistor if the pot is done properly inline with the circuit. You might want a PCB or other board of sorts to more easily run leads to and help facilitate mounting, but if the pot is big enough, that might not even be a proble. However, color matching might be touchy unless in master/slave mode.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.