Skip to main content

I have a BCF2000 to control MYDMX, and it sends MIDI messages to the software, but it doesn't receive feedback from it, in order to activate the motorized faders. So, whem I need to use it, the starting value is different from the actual one in the scene, wich causes awful jumps.

Is there a way to control the "Back" (<|) and "Forward" (|>Wink functions in User Mode? I'm using MYDMX to operate in a Musical Theatre Play, and would like very much to have a "GO" trigger to change the scenes (right now, I have 80 scenes in a 1 hour play).

Thank You very much!!!

Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Your best bet is as follows for the situation here:

If you're just using 80 scenes, just organize them in order. Name them their Cue names and then have your light op move through them in order as called. It should work fine. It's not that difficult.

I have an almost 2 hour show with over 240 scenes, however due to the complexity of it, I had to switch to Compu Show, which was a better fit. We're using computer-based video and timecode and time accurate sync is KEY to the whole production. It's a grind from start to finish.

Another show I worked on that just wrapped(the licensing got revoked), it had maybe 45-50 scenes, excluding blackouts and I had to control DMX controlled(dim/color) follow spots on the fly, which wasn't bad, just wasn't ideal. Honestly for this second show, MyDMX may have been the better fit. Had I chosen to do the show in MyDMX, I would have numbered the scenes with the cue names, but we did it similar to the previous show using Compu Show.

MyDMX is very basic in how it implements MIDI. I'd like to see a more robust MIDI implementation. However, even so, adding feedback control for motorized knobs and faders is much more work. It requires more work on the back end of the software, as well as profiles for the controllers. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying the odds of it being done are a lot smaller.

People using software for show control are usually going to need a more full featured product such as Compu Show or Compu Live. However, if you're only doing simple stuff, then MyDMX would be a better fit. But don't let my terms like "simple" turn you off, as you can do some AMAZING things with MyDMX.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
The method that you suggest is really what I'm doing. I have all the scenes in order and named properly (what helps me even with the details like line cues from text and music). As this is a musical play, I can't use accurate time, but if I could, it would be perfect. So, I need to trigger de forward button |>, to go to the next scene, and the only way to do it is the mouse... Frowner
Sometimes, in the middle of a scene, I need to adjust some fixtures like moving heads that are programmed for a spot, and the actors aren't placed as they should, and there's when the MIDI feedback is needed, in order to do minor adjustments without those terrible jumps, caused by the value difference between what's programmed and the actual position of the faders.
Anyway, I'm really happy with the software. It's simple, versatile and not to "heavy" on the system. "We can't have it all", can we?! Wink

Best regards
You don't have to "next" it along, you can just click the next scene.

Here's what we did for a live show production where timing isn't so tight using Compu Show:

First, you have to understand Compu Show, Easy Show, MTC and the timeline. But short of that:

We made a file in Sony Vegas, which contained markers and "cards" for cues and jumping around. We made ALL the scenes LONG(like, the 45 minute show became a 3 hour file). Certain things are timed, like song stuff, and like this explosion scene, but they are all designed to also be able to run long for whatever reason. The Vegas session contains sound cues, audio and other stuff.

I generate the AVI from Vegas, import that into Easy Show, use the cards to line up new scenes, let Vegas run the show via MTC and I can bounce forward or backwards.

But either way, you got options. MyDMX is a fantastic product. If anything, it builds a good foundation for upgrading to Compu Show later on. Trust me, it's worth the time and effort and investment. Don't go cheap, but the SD+ interface!! You won't regret it. Your wallet might but the first time a show goes off flawlessly, you'll never turn back.

I mostly use MyDMX for band stuff now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.