Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is there a particular reason why you're choosing to use 6 channel mode over 7 channel mode? I just really don't see any tangible advantage of using 6 channel mode over 7 channel mode? Personally, I like having a dedicated dimming channel.

Of course, it should be rather obvious I'm advocating 7 channel mode. But, check the latest downloads of profiles to see if a 6 channel one has been added.
Chris & Jingles,

I am asking because the show that Jingles built for me a year ago was set up with the regular P64 6 channel profile. I have the P64 PRO lights. It works, but does not allow access to all the features of the pro. I was hoping to just swap out the reg P64 6 channel profile for the pro 6 channel profile and not have to completely redo some of the kick ass scenes Jingles created. Chris, I agree, I would perfer 7 channels but I would have to throw away those programs and I don't want to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ric
I'm a bit confused.

What is the P64 Pro? An off-brand light?

Or do you mean the 64 LED Pro, like what I have 8 of?

If I understand MyDMX properly, if you remove a fixture, you REMOVE EVERYTHING that went with that fixture. You also can't "upgrade", you've got to add in the proper lights with the proper profile. To me, it sounds like a failure to really plan ahead.

You, like others of us, are trying to avoid the obvious route of having to do lots of work. Sad to say, you're going to need to do some work. What channels are you using? This might not be easy.

You can still save your existing show, just make a new universe for your 7-channel profile configuration.

Sad to say, you can't have it both ways. MyDMX isn't designed with that soft of functionality. Also, one thing I had to consider is that just adding a channel means nothing, because it's how that fixture works in specific channel modes, and it's not an interpretatin thing. The software is just looking at values per channel.

I doubt high end consoles would do this either.

Time to break out pencil and paper and start documenting. I wish I had another answer, but I don't. Unless you could convert the DMX information to MIDI data, save that to a sequencer, but even so, you'd still have to manipulate and interpret, and you're not going to get results easily.

Crack open some Red Bull, you're in for some long nights.
Jingles is advocating you re-add the fixtures to the same channel and see. DO THIS on a copy. Save AS before doing this.

In my experience, once you remove a fixture, the data behind those channels is gone. This wasn't all that long ago I was screwing around with that sort of thing to pointlessly see about moving fixtures around. I say pointless because I didn't think it out very well so my plans didn't work out. MY failure, not MyDMX failure.

May your luck be different.
Jingles,

I have done that and they are close but there are some differences. The set up you did for me a year ago had the reg 64 LED not the PRO version. I found out by creating new scences and not being able to use some of the features of the PRO which got me wondering what the problem was. I then looked thru the new ADJ profiles hoping I would find a 6 channel version but did not see it.

Ric
OK so i just looked at the 6 channel traits for the both no pro par 64 led and par 64 led PRO, and both 6 channel traits are exactly the same. The difference is the 7 channel mode. which is just a 0-100% dimmer on the 7th channel for the pro's. Which is why i had you use the p64 led reg profile cause you said you had the lights in 6 channel mode cause they are exactly the same.
Sincerely,
The reason for the splitter is that the MyDMX dongle is putting out a weaker signal. I haven't had any issues with this, as I've regularly run my 200-foot cable to 10-12 fixtures with no problems. I installed the OptBranch/4 into my rig to not only boost the signal to standard signal strength levels, but to also protect my lighting investment.

Really, now that I have 1, I'd like another 1. This way I can do a split at FOH to go to spots(2 runs) and to some foot lights and anything else nearby, and a run to the stage. The stage run would be split into front and back trusses, foot lights and then anything off-stage. Or, in one isntance: split to left, split to right, split to fill lights.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.