Skip to main content

I am putting together a new 8 light show... all ADJ (Profile Panels, Revo Bursts, Revo 4, Hyper Gem, Jelly Dome and a Laser). I will expand on that soon...

I am a mobile DJ doing mostly weddings and run the lights in sound-active mode most of the time... I have 2 UC3's but was thinking of getting a UC3-Wireless to run the rest... maybe even getting a second UC3-Wireless down the road...

I know nothing about DMX but wonder if getting the new Elation DMX Operator-192 would be a better idea?... since I run them in sound mode most of the time, would DMX be the way to go?... would running them in sound-active mode with a DMX board mean I would have to use the DMX mic? If so, is that a good thing or bad thing???

Let me also say that I don't want to run a software program at this time... Any input would be appreciated... I really don't know what to do...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In my very limited experience with DMX Controllers & software, I wouldn't suggest a DMX-192 for light control on recorded music, for the simple reason of ease of use, and the generally good syncronization between recorded music & the built in mics of ADJ lights.

That being said, in theory you could "customize" your lights by using a 192. For wedding type stuff, it would be to time consuming for an end result that may not surpass what the sound activation mode already accomplishes.

DMX software is nice. If you get into this, you can program your entire show, and in y opinion, have more creative control. Again, this takes time, I am always trying out different DMX software for Macintosh. I dont think ADJ makes any software for Mac yet.
If I don't use a DMX Controller, how will I controll each light?... A UC3 Wireless controls only 4 (or 4 sets of lights) at a time... I'll have 8 lights and would need 6 UC3's... or 2 UC3 wireless units... will the UC3 Wireless remotes conflict with each other?... I really only want to use the lights in sound active mode and want something simple...
Sound active mode always runs off of the internal mic on each fixture. So if you went DMX for control, you would not need a 'DMX Mic'.

With the number of lights you are getting to, I would agree it is time to step up to a DMX controller. However, before you do that, make sure each of your lights can be turned onto sound active mode via DMX. Some fixtures can't. If they can't, you will need to set them in sound active mode and get a DMX switch to turn them on and off via a DMX controller. I wouldn't go to the Rodio for advice either if you know what I mean and are from my area.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.