Skip to main content

Hey all. I just bought 2 DJ Scan 250EX's and the FC-400 foot controller package. I spent all day trying to figure out what's going on. I'm very new to lighting, especially DMX protocol.

So, did I buy the wrong equipment? I want to utilize the full capacity of the scanners, but I think the foot controller is only made for par cans. Is this true?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:
hey! welcome to the forums. yes you did buy the wrong equipment. the FC 400 is only a 4 channel foot controller. which is mainly good for 4 pars cans but NOT intels. for the scanners i would recommend a DMX operator 192. sincerely,

Thanks, James. Damn.

There are other foot controllers out there that do control intel lighting, right? (I don't want to post anything not American DJ). I really need foot control for this project.
Foot controllers are not typically used to control much other than scene calls and perhaps dimmers. Basically, an intentional limitation imposed due to lack of control surface. But, by all means, take your shoes and socks off on stage and get a durable DMX Operator 192! It's not intended to be a food controller, but some well coordinated toes could do the job?

OK, maybe I shouldn't type so soon after having a big bowl of Frosted Flakes.

Maybe what you really need is a DMX Operator 192, and if your foot controller can issue MIDI note signals(and controller data apparently), you could use a MIDI foot controller and trigger scenes on the DMX Operator 192. Might be a decent work around.

I agree with Jingles: wrong controller for the job. Next time, work with a different sales guy at the local music store, or camp out on here and blast away with questions.
Thanks for the help, all!

What I'm trying to run are programed scenes that I can select with a moment's notice when the music changes. I want to pre-program all the movements and changes and just select what program to use and when.

I understand with a normal controller I will have more options, but I can't make use of those options. I'm a one man show and my left foot is the only appendage I have free once and a while.

It' funny that you suggested taking off my shoes and controlling the lights that way, because I already play with no shoes on to control my other effects! Good call, though! Thanks again.
If you have another MIDI foot controller that you can set in banks of 8, you can go up and down the banks and trigger the scenes you want.

As far as the taking of your shoes, hey, I'm all for unconventional approaches. Yeah, that one-man band thing can suck because you only have so many appendages. BUT, if you're using a MIDI sequencer on stage, why not burn a MIDI channel to trigger a DMX Operator 192 to do scenes synced to your music. This works IF the sequencer is capable of sending MIDI events to external units. I'm referring to workstation-type keyboards, mainly since I'm not sure if those, or which ones, will send MIDI information for an internally-running sequence.

Then again, you could go the Zaphob Beeblebrox route and have a third arm installed. Maybe that's why he's got that extra head...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.