Skip to main content

I recently purchased these players with the notion that I could purchase an external usb drive which are currently up to 2 TB, on the market now, when I purchased two 1 TB drives only to find out that these player will not work with these drives they only work with FAT and FAT32 drives and disk, which currently has limits to 32 GB so I purchased 2 32 GB USB flash drives and 2 32 GB SDHC that combination gives me 128 GB of storage, I have been subscribing to ERG music for the purpose of obtaining clean edited music that is another story. from ERG Urban number 65 to 148 total 14 GB all the music I have collected over the years since 1987 came to 15 GB for my Old School collection 10 GB for remixed tracks such as FunkyMix for a total of 39 GB, I as a remix club / mobile DJ I have a need to have two copies of each song in order to play back to back yet another story, but I have plenty of room to grow in the future, with out the need to purchase external software program. I would recommend this option to Mobile DJs and Club DJs who are not quiet ready to go with external DJ programs this is the answer, big thumbs up to American DJs. This is a simple review for DJs who want to research prior to buying. A neat feature was the link via usb, this actually allow you to get a copy of what is on the oposite players SDHC or USB card and clone it for playing in player B, via USB cable to the USB input on player B. Down side to that is the USB card must be Removed so you will lose 32 GB or 64 GB depending on configuration. I hope in the future American DJ will allow a firmware update to allow for NTFS formatted drives to be use with these players but for now, I am a happy camper. By the end of last night I had maybe 4 disk to put back in to their cases vs last week when I used Disk only I had about 20 to search for their proper places.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Now, one issue you bring up is the necessity to double up. No question about that. Does the service you subscribe to allow you to copy the music or are you paying for a second license? I won't argue the NEED for 2 copies(sometimes you need to mix and scratch off the same material, nothing new). But, licensing is critical.

It is doubtful that NTFS will be supported in the future because while the dominant format, its not a default format. Mac is using HFS, HFS+ and HFS Journalled. I forget which ISO revision UNIX and LINUX is using, but everyone wants to read and write to fat and fat32. Everyone else is in the same boat. The reason is that if you support one format, then you risk alienating another user base. Western Digital sort of gets around this with their WD TV Media Player(version 1) which supports up to 2 USB connected media at the same time, which can be basically any media that can plug into the USB port. Hard drives, thumb drives, memory cards(with adaptor), pretty much anything as long as it is a SINGLE physical volume. I have a multi-USB card reader, it won't work with that, nor will it work with a USB hub. Ideally, it needs a single partitioned drive. It reads Mac and PC drives, plays back video, audio(MP3 and 16-bit 44.1K audio files and more). Considering the unit retails for $100, that's CHEAP compared to what you pay for your Radius 3000's.

So, what you want to have them do(and they SHOULD DO) is possible, but it's not likely anytime soon for any vendor. This market is SLOW to change in those regards.

Prices of thumb drives and storage cards is dropping. I think in a year, out of necessity, cards 32GIG and under will need to drop anywhere from 35% to 40% off their current prices if NOT more. it makes no sense to make small capacity hard drives anymore because for the same mone they can make a large capacity drive, adn they'll both fail just as easily(I have had over 20 drives fail in the past year, with 2 recent failures and 2 ready to fail, it's been a real PITA).

One of the issues is that too bad you can't "flash" the firmware to upgrade features: burn a special CD-R or load the firmware onto a USB stick and then do a special key sequence.

How long do you think you can live with 32-gig sticks? Based on your compressed collection, this isn't an issue for you.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.