Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Many moving head intels use a shutter to block the light, while the bulb itself stays on.

Honestly, it does have to do with preserving bulb life. Some types of bulbs don't dim well, or don't like being taken up and down and just flat out prefer being on for long periods of time. So, turning it on and off would actually decrease bulb life.

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear.
That would not be a wise thing to do. It's not a smart idea to put a DMX fixture to get its power from a dimmer/switching/relay/power pack.

Sure. It can be done. It just should NOT be done.

If you're planning on permanently hanging it, you might want to consider using a switch or breaker system to power off the fixtures when not in use.

You might want to consider fully spec'ing out your fixtures before purchasing. Some are more intended to be used in clubs(such as permanent mounting) and have features more conducive to that environment. Not saying such fixtures are limited to that environment, just something to think about.

Remember, if you damage your light through putting it on a switching pack, that voids your warranty.

Kill the power. It's the right thing to do. Or get fixture that works how you want to do.
what chris is saying is that if u continuously cut power to the dmx chips and such t will ruin them. it damages the motors. trust us. those are not par cans nor anre they simple on and off non dmx lights those are DMX lights and it is never a good idea to plug DMX lights in to a power switch relay or dimmer pack at all. you need a DMX controller. sincerely,
I think I've been misunderstood... I have a DMX controller. I use the DMX Duo to control the lights and the myDMX to create the scenes/shows. What I am looking for is an end of the night solution. Instead of some unintelligent person cutting the power using breakers, potentially cutting the wrong breakers. If I plug the lights into switch packs, and have a really simple, PUSH THIS BUTTON IDIOT button for them to cut power to the lights, how would that be anymore damaging than cutting the power at the breaker?
Not exactly, if you really want to get technical about it.

Even at full off(DMX value of 0), a DMX pack(any flavor) is going to put out a tiny bit of voltage. In time, the fixture will build up enough voltage and discharge. This discharge is merely the fixture using up the electricity in it, and that will also mean the bulb may flash, which is what's going to be the biggest issue. But that's not all. Some of my DMX fixtures reset on a power cycle, and maybe yours will do. This micro-voltate will in turn damage your motors as well. That in turn will possible cause gear damage. Maybe your gobo wheel will become dislodged and screw the rest of your optics?

Seriously, that could all happen. The most likely thing to happen is the bulb will bite the big one. Your motors could burn out but that would take much more time, and since you're not running them like a maniac putting 4 times the power into them, you probably won't smell them burning out.

Install a power strip to power it off, or yank the cable. Most of the restaurants I end up doing weddings at do their lights off a bank of light switches. It's fine to power the fixture on during club hours and then power it off at close. That's OK. It's the bringing it up and down stuff for dimming that those bulb dislikes.

I put a simple strobe on a relay pack and the darn thing would keep going off from time to time. I had to install a night light on the other plug on the dimmer pack channel to absorb up and use up the electricity so it wouldn't be available for the strobe. The night light bulb would use anything that was available, so there was nothing for the little strobe to absorb. I think it's the ADJ Big Shot or the smaller version. It's dinky.

Sorry for the scare tactics. I've seen the best and almost the worst in the world of professional. I am presenting a near worse case scenario. The chances of a major catastrophic failure causing the fixture to massively short out and burn your building to the ground is also there, but chances are something else will fry out first and totally render your fixture incapable of passing electricity.
That was the answer I was looking for.

I did not know about the voltage it was putting out. Now that make sense. We have actually had a dimmer pack (being run in dimmer mode catch fire).

My idea was to use the FX channels on the DMX Duo to actually turn on the lights/pack. But I don't want to have stored power start f'ing with the lights
Just a note about "End of night ideas":

DMX Blackout means "All values to ZERO for all channels", which means that the lights are not going to be shooting out any light. This doesn't apply to bulbs being "off". Most high end and also high-power fixtures have the bulb on all day long. Doing a show, lights were up by 10AM(focus was another issue), so those big 5K color changing movers were on since 10AM until showtime at 8PM and show over at 10:30, but weren't powered off until 11PM, which then finally turned the bulb off.

And I completely forgot about DMX chips, but there is a resistor inline I'm sure that would choke off juice to the chipset in super low power situations. If not, hope it's an easy to change EProm!
Moving a breaker panel is too much work and too expensive. Installing a lighting switch shoul be done by a licensed electrician and you will need to pull a permit for that work to be done.

Closing should have a documented "routine". Depends how complicated you want this to be or need it to be depending on your situation. Light switches are easier than going back and flipping breakers off. But flipping breakers off is cheaper than installing switches.

Put a sticker pointing to the breakers that cover the lights and mark it "turn these off if you value your job, signed, the Management".

I understand wanting to dumb it down. But I also understand that if you expect your employees to be braindead, they will be. It may be annoying to have them flip some breakers, but it sure is annoying dishing out a full paycheck to someone who leaves their brain at home for their shift too.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.