Skip to main content

I read all the post, FAQs and Wiki but need to be straighthened out. Right now I have Revo I, III and a Sunray all DMX with several other units comming including I'll be ordering moving heads such as the ACCU Spots and Reflex Led Dmxs. I am controlling them a Stage Setter 8 with 2 dimmer paks. I run my 2 lines from the control board out yo the left and right trees to the dimmer dmx inputs then out to the fixtures. I addressed the dimmer paks 9 (left) and 13 (right). I left all fixtures in address 1. They respond to my commands on thier channels. However this creates a mess if I want to bring up 2 fixtures simutaneous. How can I talk to the different fixtures without them sharing the same channels...What or how would I talk to them on my board if I gave them different addresses simutaneously?
By the Way I really do appreciate these forums, Jingles and Chris's help. And Chris I took a peek at you site and talk about weight..I feel your pain man.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can't see what this looks like and I can't download the manual right now, so I have to go with the Elation site description for a Scene Setter 8, which is a 16-DMX channel surface.

With what yu have and what you having coming, this is simply not the right console. I'm gonna punk out and go with my standby solution: the DMX Operator 192. Note: ADJ, when I get another big check I'll go buy one to replace my DMX Operator! Promise!

You're getting into DMX fixtures, which is cool, but the State Setter 8 appears to be more oented around Par Cans and maybe 1 intel. Without a manual and pictures I can't really dig deep.

Accessing more than 1 fixture is not an issue. You seem to have the concept od addressing. Controlling more than 1 fixture is easy. But you do have to wisely plan out your addressing to correspond properly to to the scanner buttons. Scanner doesn't really pertain to scanner fixtures only, but rather logical banks for 16 channels each.

So, let's say you want to bring up more than 1 fixture and different addressing? Well, it's a bit wonky not in programming mode, because you lose some control. But it's still good. You get used to it. I would say don't assign non-identical fixtures the same. OK to not match, but only match exact like-like units.

The rest gets too technical and wordy, but I get the impression you've got some basics dont ad don't need the hand holding on everything.

Bottom line is you've got the wrong console for where you want to go. Don't put your DMX fixures on dimmer packs.

Maybe MyDMX might be better? Maybe a surface with more faders? Try to plan ahead a few steps. Buy a bit more than you think you need, you'll never regret it since it will last longer.
First Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm returning to being a DJ after a 27 year streach in the military and am playing catch up. As soon as I read your guy's reply it confirmed what I had sort of feared in the back of my mind. From what I see the Op 192 appears like a good entry system for me. Looks like it's now on my list. BTW Wiki is too wordy... the mailman story for DMX works better. I know I'll need more pro help but I'll read first, practice, curse, repeat then come begging for help. Thanks guys.

Pete

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.