Skip to main content

I have 8 DJ Scan 250hp's that I line up in a straight line behind the band. After leveling all the lights both horizontally, vertically and front to back, some of the beams do not angle the same with identical X Y coordinates. Is there any type of "user" calibration I can perform or is this normal?

I also find I have to realign several scenes after setting up for a new show, even though the setup is identical. Also, every once in a while one of the lights gets a mind of it's own and changes colors or goes out-of-line. Once that happens I have to unplug the light to reset it. It's frustrating in a live band performance to have issues like this. I've been told it's because the DJ Scan line better suited for DJ's (hence the name) where accurate scenes are not usually an issue and that I need to upgrade to Elation or another high end brand.

Any thoughts or help?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, with regards to your weird issues. Are you using DMX cables and also what are you using for a controller?

As for realignment after each setup, this is common. There is no exact way to setup 100% the same each time. A few fractions of a inch can be huge depending on target, angle, and throw distance. Also, the with a change in venue comes other changes, like trim height, stage size, etc. For shows I tour with, I have to update my positions at each location.

The DJ Scan is only 8 bit pan and tilt. If you need more accuracy, look for a fixture with 16 bit pan and tilt. This increase the accuracy exponentially. AMDJ has 16 bit pan and tilt fixtures. I would recommend going to Elation if you needed more features, output, and a more road worthy fixture. You are going to pay for all that however vs AMDJ. So it seems like AMDJ is fine for your needs, you simply need to find a better AMDJ fixture. With the 16 bit though, expect to pay more money.
Thanks for the reply.

I currently use MyDmx and before that, an Elation Operator Pro.

I understand these are starter lights, and I understand the 8 bit pan and tilt, but I guess I expected each fixture to move the same so that if I set the exact pan or tilt address on different fixtures, they would react the same.

Thanks for the info.
They should react the same within a reasonable margin of deviation. They won't be dead-on, but they should be close.

Best you could do to try to ensure better success would be to mark your clamps and fixtures and trussing and other stuff to try to line things up the same each and every time.

I stack my movers on my speaker stack, and that works fine, and as I'm at the same venue quite a bit, my rig is fairly consistent, enough where I'm fortunate to NOT have to adjust stuff.

In the case of touring, Serra Ava is right that he would likely need to adjust stuff from venue to venue. Trusses not hung the exact same height, angles of mounting slightly off... Nothing major but could be if not dealt with.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.