Skip to main content

I know these are new to the market, but so far my use of twice at to different locations have been nothing but positive. Anyone else with any feed back on these great table top players?

I can't wait to reduce my CD collections to MP3, I'm thinking for every 4 cd put on 1 in MP3 format, any suggestion with that vs. the player's abilities?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, but as I have made it well known, I'm an anti-MP3 advocate. But I'm also NOT a DJ either. I'm a professional sound enigneer.

Don't insult your clients by offering them a reduced quality experience for your selfish convenience.

If you want to cut back on media, convert your CD's to 16-bit 44.1 PCM WAV files and lug them around on a hard drive or memory sticks with NO LOSS in quality but easier access. Or, convert to DVD with a simple menu system and "label cards". You should be able to get almost a 4:1 ratio with no quality loss.

I'm old school. I may be stubborn but I refuse to give my clients "LESS" so I can be convenienced. MP3 is not an acceptable format at any rate. I refuse to work on a project from initial concept through tracking, mixdown, mastering and mass production and then onto touring. Why make an effort to knock the quality down at any step along the way?

I'm going to be making myself some "long play" audio-oriented DVD's soon, just in case I need longer background music. Sort of a set and forget at low volume thing. In my case, it's all about the band.
Thanks for your input but one would argue the different in sound quality at 320 bit rate as distinquished from CD quality.On the other hand, for critical listening on a HiFi, I feel that 256Kbps is the best bitrate to use, because it sounds significantly better than 192Kbps. Since I couldn't hear any improvement at all when going to up to 320Kbps, I don't recommend going this high for the simple reason that the file sizes are significantly larger.
Copyright © 2001,2005 Sam C. Lin
Last edited by Former Member
Hi Ive purchased 2x radius 1000 about month ago.
And to be honest im a bit disappointed. Ive spent already many hours mixing and the more im practicin the more bugs im findin.Dont mean me wrong its a good stuff, especially when u take into account price of it, but my previous experience is couple of years with pioneers cdj800 where everything is simple and extremly intuitive.I cannot say that bout radius..So many useless time wasting funcions.To fast forward the track u need to keep holdin fast forward button and the longer you hold it the faster forward it goes. So if you want to check what is goin on in 30th and 60th and maybe 90th second of the track in less then 10 seconds - forget about it.Its so easy on cdj800..Scratch has a bit plastic sound, but overall jog wheel in therms of scratchin works perfect.I did basic test - turned jog wheel 360 degrees 20 times and the same anticlockwise - i came back to exactly the same time of track.Effects sounds good, but unfortunetly their parameters arent saved after swithin off device,so dont forget to set them up again before new mix Wink Im goin to buy mixer with effector in the nearest feature. Loops - to adjust the end of the loop you need to focus only on deck for at least 20 seconds before you will be satisfied with struggelin with the results - unacceptable when your audience is listening tracks form both decks. It reads audio and mp3 cd, both cdr and cdrw.I havent checked yet if it reads multisession discs.Loading time about 10s for cd audio and a small bit longer for mp3s.No problem with vbr coded mp3s-reads rewinds exactly the same as audio cds. On the first night i spent 6h continuously mixing-no overheating, no issues.So if the most important argument for you is mp3 - go for radius.As a bedroom player - absolutely fantastic stuff.To use them live - every second is precious and u waste too many of them to use most of the options, and you will stay with basic mixing.Hopefully there will be software upgrades which will change functionality of that deck. My final note 7/10.
forgot about one thing.It lists mp3s startin with capital letters first and those which begins with small letter are kicked at the end of the list Wink
(A-Z then a-z).It is important when you have printed tracklist with numbers of tracks, so u can put the cd into player and while it reads content you can select number of the track which will be the same as on your list created in windows application.
Regards
Well I'm on my third week with them, and I perform at a 350 to 400 persons club, on Friday nights, I must be at that basic mixing you were talking about, I have not had any problems what so ever. I'm even loving the advance track feature when you only have that one disk with two hit songs on it and you want to play back to back. I'm not seeing any issue at all with my two decks as of yet. only effects I have time for really is the flanger and ocassional echoe other than that scratch effect sounds pretty good to me. Ps before you ask or was wondering I've been doing this since 1987 on the professional level, been though some gear, from numarks, technics, to Americandj, velocity, dcd1000 and now Radius 1000.
Awesome, Its good to talk with someone with massive experience, Im definetly less experienced, but thank u for joining the conversation.As youve spoted advance track feature (taken from denon 1000 as far as i know)is awesome but only if you play tracks that croud will react automaticly.I like to mess within my mix as much as its possible.At the moment im focused on house music so mix has long crossfades.Its a pain in the arse when I dont really know the track that im playin and have to have quick review what is goin on in each part of the track, where are break downs where the bass line ends and so on.I know that nothing is better then turntables in that situation, but vinyls are so heavy, and mp3s so light Wink.About the efects, have you tried to add effects manualy?I found filter effect very usefull to cut the frequencies instead of killin them with equaliser.for example when the tracks are beatmatched im settin time for filter t=0 and dry=128 for old track and im addin more and more filter effect until dry=0 or 255 - it will gone and the new track at the same time from 255 or 0 to 128 effect-smoth nice crossfade. Generally i like effects to be setted up in "neutral" positions and adjust their deepthness manually.Unfortunately all my saved neutral positions are lost after reseting device :/ You see now why im not happy with thad solution.Scratch sounds good with big moves, but try to have a gentle moves like 5 degrees maybe-you will definetly notice.Loops imagine yourself situation that two beatmached tracks are on the speakers and one of them is endin rapidly, so you want to extend it with a loop, you canot trust smartloops, it failed so many times (unless your intention is to create very broken beat mixSmiler ok, human hand istn perfect as well so of your loop is a bit to short or too long the audience will notice that after second repetition tracks arent beatmatched anymore..well to adjust the end, end make the perfect lenght of the loop you have to press reloop and hold for about two seconds again human isnt perfect and you can hit a button and start the loop over not exactly in time-broken beat guaranteed, besides two seconds with 128bpm is a bit more than 4 beats so if you have 4beat loop you can forget about corrections over first two repetitions, its long enough to break a beat dramaticly..But i might be not flexible enough for that gear and keep my habits from the other one..
Can you write a bit bout the music you play, and how you mix it?
How do you say,
Well being in El Paso Texas in order to survive in this game as I tell so many of my competives, you must be willing to play it all if you are serious about your business, and most are not, so I do well when I put myself to the grind. I play everything but specialize in R & B music, and on that notes when it comes to Techno, Trans and House music, you really want to mix at the breaks or lows in the music. The loop will work best at the intro of those type of music (where there is nothing but the 808 or drum beats playing). Blending is the best form of mixing again for this type of music, along with the use of acapella tracks.(words only).
good example would be Finally by CC Penistal forgive me if misspelled, and Lindel Townsend NU NU. Effects, flanger at 4/4 will work best but use sporatically, somehow I think everything should be spelled with double Ls, so forgive me my mind spell faster than my fingers. stay away from echos, also play with phase at 4/4 but again do not permantly leave on. when you practice enough skid will also work and for your difficult mixes where it's just not going to happen, try back spending. To be great the key is to know your music, don't play the most popular song until the end of your set, no matter how much you want to or the clients want to hear it, a good delay tactic is to tell them you don't have that song, and then when they let their guard down you hit them with that song. I hope this helps be well. On a last note, I don't get into the munipulating the music using the effects, they are nice to have, but the bottom line is, in order to be the best you must be able to read your crowd, play like music in sets, fast with fast medium with medium and of course slow with slow. If you do this you will master the art of mixing and you will notice your clients will reward you with repeat business and referrals. Oops did I get off track, ok, anyone else want to chime in.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.