Skip to main content

I open this new post because I see a continuing struggle between users and technicians, the idea of this post is to find among all real solutions and stop making absurd data between them

the first case that said, the problem of EQ, the low level of power and the distortion in the low line.

comment: +4 db on the VU of the Xone is the double sound than VMS4 +4, and theXone dont have no distortion with EQ

Solution?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think (despite phone-helplines may be encouraged) this is an issue where the moderators, employees, representatives of American Audio on the forum need to jump in and provide everyone with some clear, issue solving pointers/solutions, or explain why there is so much distortion going on. Is it just about the quality of the soundcard/interface in the VMS4? wirings? bad design? whatever it is, instead of every other person complaining about it, some official input would be highly appreciated.
Of course, Xone that you speak of w.a.r.z is a bigger rig and has the capability for louder sound, but distortion should not be there on the VMS4.
quote:
Originally posted by Souf:
I think (despite phone-helplines may be encouraged) this is an issue where the moderators, employees, representatives of American Audio on the forum need to jump in and provide everyone with some clear, issue solving pointers/solutions, or explain why there is so much distortion going on. Is it just about the quality of the soundcard/interface in the VMS4? wirings? bad design? whatever it is, instead of every other person complaining about it, some official input would be highly appreciated.
Of course, Xone that you speak of w.a.r.z is a bigger rig and has the capability for louder sound, but distortion should not be there on the VMS4.

please here nothing but solutions, if you want complaints, create another post, THNXS!
OK thanks W.A.R.Z. you deserve a clear response.

I've checked the code on the VMS4. This is what the VU meter is indicating for the master:

below 0dB: no distortion
at 0dB: just at the threshold of distortion
above 0dB: some distortion depending on how far the LEDs go into the red.

Apologies I got this wrong in a previous post assuming you could go above 0dB without distortion.

So to minimize distortion, you should set both PFL levels and master levels as close as possible to 0dB without going over. Actually the Cue signal has much more headroom, but for practical purposes you should still set the correct level or you may end up distorting very heavily on the master even if you set it in the middle.

As far as the sound volume being low, the VMS4 is 5V powered rather than +/-15V powered so it isn't possible to increase the levels any more than where they already are. The Xone has a much higher power supply. So for extra sound, please increase the gain in the power amplifier hooked up to the output of the VMS4.

One other thing is you will get 2x as much output from the balanced outputs as the master. So you can use these to get a higher signal level as well as for decreasing ground hum and crosstalk.
quote:
Originally posted by emarx:
OK thanks W.A.R.Z. you deserve a clear response.

I've checked the code on the VMS4. This is what the VU meter is indicating for the master:

Apologies I got this wrong in a previous post assuming you could go above 0dB without distortion.

So to minimize distortion, you should set both PFL levels and master levels as close as possible to 0dB without going over. Actually the Cue signal has much more headroom, but for practical purposes you should still set the correct level or you may end up distorting very heavily on the master even if you set it in the middle.

As far as the sound volume being low, the VMS4 is 5V powered rather than +/-15V powered so it isn't possible to increase the levels any more than where they already are. The Xone has a much higher power supply. So for extra sound, please increase the gain in the power amplifier hooked up to the output of the VMS4.

One other thing is you will get 2x as much output from the balanced outputs as the master. So you can use these to get a higher signal level as well as for decreasing ground hum and crosstalk.

MANY THNX EMARX!
new question,,what is the configuration of audio ,,for 4 chanels mixing and internal mode in traktor? (OUTs configuration setup in traktor im refer,, and mode 4out or 8 out in the vms4?)im trying to set setup for internal mode in traktor,,, the sound is more good but.......i need the channels only send midi and chosee one ouput to master and another to preview tracks for use internal mode on traktor,,,but only channels of midilogs sends audio to out,, so i cant mix with 4 decks,,who is the master output and monitor output(7/8-9/10-11/12-13/14-15/16????
Last edited by Former Member
quote:

Ok, so the manual - which also states to peak at +4dB is also wrong???

I've been using the VMS4 at +4dB without issue but the output is still lower than a DJM-600 which is the other mixer in the club.

The manual also states that the RCA outputs of the VMS4 are too high to be plugged in to a channel of another mixer. However this weekend I had to slave off of a 15k PA system so my only option was to go in to a channel of a DJM-800.

Even with the DMJ channel gain set to max and the VMS4 peaking at +7 the output was lower than the 1210's and CDJ-1000's whose channel gains on the DJM were at 50%.

Now the pioneer web site states that the CDJ-1000 Mk3's output level is "Analog Audio Output Level (1kHz, 0dB)" and this will flood the channel VU on a DJM-800 at anything above 50%.

If the RCA outputs are, as the manual states, too high to slave offof another mixer then I would expect atleast the same as a CDJ or higher.

Cheers,

Roy
quote:
Originally posted by Corneloues:
quote:

Ok, so the manual - which also states to peak at +4dB is also wrong???

I've been using the VMS4 at +4dB without issue but the output is still lower than a DJM-600 which is the other mixer in the club.

The manual also states that the RCA outputs of the VMS4 are too high to be plugged in to a channel of another mixer. However this weekend I had to slave off of a 15k PA system so my only option was to go in to a channel of a DJM-800.

Even with the DMJ channel gain set to max and the VMS4 peaking at +7 the output was lower than the 1210's and CDJ-1000's whose channel gains on the DJM were at 50%.

Now the pioneer web site states that the CDJ-1000 Mk3's output level is "Analog Audio Output Level (1kHz, 0dB)" and this will flood the channel VU on a DJM-800 at anything above 50%.

If the RCA outputs are, as the manual states, too high to slave offof another mixer then I would expect atleast the same as a CDJ or higher.

Cheers,

Roy

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!TECHNICIANS SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.