Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by jfg1:
[qb] Does anyone know if there will be a firmware upadete to allow the MCD-810 to play the newer MP3 formats like AAC, WMA, Vorbis etc?
I love the unit but you loose quality everytime you have to convert one format to another. [/qb]
Sorry, just need to point this out:

AAC, WMA, Ogg, ect, are not MP3 formats. MPEG Audio layer 3 is a specific type of file. AAC, the Advanced Audio Codec is the codec used to make MP4 files. WMA is a proprietary compressed format created by MS. Ogg is another format that is mostly open source.

Just wanted to point this out. I do agree that it would be good to have the ability to use these formats with the MCD-810 or any AA product.
[/QUOTE]Sorry, just need to point this out:

AAC, WMA, Ogg, ect, are not MP3 formats. MPEG Audio layer 3 is a specific type of file. AAC, the Advanced Audio Codec is the codec used to make MP4 files. WMA is a proprietary compressed format created by MS. Ogg is another format that is mostly open source.

Just wanted to point this out. I do agree that it would be good to have the ability to use these formats with the MCD-810 or any AA product. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I understand the technical terminology of the original MP3 codec. But MP3 is now used as a generic term for condensed music files like "Coke" or "Pampers". When I bought the unit it says it plays all MP3 files which was a little misleading based on the new MP3 terminology. Look on an online site and a "Ipod" is sold as an MP3 device although it doesn't play MP3s only AAC files.
Not to argue but I was asking a legitimate question.
Please give examples where "MP3" means "all compressed music files". Everytime I looked up "MP3" on the Internet, I got the same result. "MP3 Player" may be a generic name, but "MP3 file" is not.

Apple iPods can play MP3 files.

So, if you ask for a "Coke" at a resturaunt, and they bring out a Diet Pepsi with Lemon, you're ok with that? Wink
quote:
[qb] Not to argue but I was asking a legitimate question. [/qb]
Yeah, i know, and i'm curious to know the answer, too. It's just that MP3 file is very specific. By "All Mp3 Files" they probably mean VBR, LAME, ect. using different compression methods.
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Insomaniac:
[qb]
quote:
[qb] Not to argue but I was asking a legitimate question. [/qb]
Yeah, i know, and i'm curious to know the answer, too. It's just that MP3 file is very specific. By "All Mp3 Files" they probably mean VBR, LAME, ect. using different compression methods. [/qb]
No problem at all with your comment.
I just have quite a few AAC and WMA files to work with. Right now we are hooking up a computer to the mixer to access them. Works well for those special requests. It's just that there are not too many online (legit) services that offer the newer popular songs in MP3 format.Currnetly using yahoo's new service. Hell of a lot cheaper than the rest but only wma format.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.