Skip to main content

There's been a DCD-Pro400 in the DJ booth at one of my clubs for YEARS. They're workhorses, to be sure. The only reason we're FINALLY pulling the thing out is because we need the rack space for a unit that does DVD's, CDG's, etc., now that the club features a video dancefloor and we've added karaoke to our weekly lineup.

When you say "basic", do you really mean "inexpensive" or "featureless"? Don't buy any equipment for yourself until you've tried it out, like the feel of it and you've confirmed that it has the features you want/need, going forward. Does it pitch up/down as far as you'd like it to? Will it play the CDs you burn on your computer? Do they make the cords which connect the transport unit and the remote control long enough for your set-up? Does it cue and start responsively; how is the torque on the controls? Do you like it or will you have to "re-train" yourself to work with the equipment you're considering? Also make certain the display is capable of giving you the data/metrics you expect and work best with.

Saving yourself $30-$50 may seem important right now, but don't compromise by sacrificing features and functionalities you've come to depend upon or deserve.

djSF

P.S. While I was typing this, the club's former DJ just happened to phone me. I asked him how he would rate the American DJ DCD-Pro400. "I loved it. Never had any problems with it." He said. Then he asked me to find out how much the owner would sell it to him for.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.