Skip to main content

I bought a ps2 about 2 months ago and like it very much, but now I see that the new cdi 500 is out. I'm new to the dj world, so please excuse this if it's a stupid question. Is it ok to use 2 different units with a mixer, or do you have to use the same cd players when your using them together? Also, how does the cdi 500 compare to the denon dn-s5000 and the ******* 1000mk2?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's something I'd like to know as well. I've got a pair of the PS2's and a pair of the 1000 MKII's as well (scratch is better on the 1000's sorry guys) but I'd love to know how the CDI 500's sound (as far as scratch).

Oh, to answer the one question:
No, you don't have to have the same two cd players
Not much has changed from the PS2>>>CDI's. The biggest 2 changes (besides layout of course) are the beat synced EFX, and the tray drawer instead of slot, to help keep the production costs lower (to afford the new beat synced EFX) Wink . And in my opinion the scratch on the PS2 sounds if not warmer at least the same as the CDJ's, but I like and prefer the larger jog on the CDJ's for control. For everyone it's now a matter of personal tastes since their are 5 major manufacturers with great scratching decks, so on that front I always advise to try them all, and see what your ergonomic, cost, and feature preferences are, and decide from there....

It's a great time to be a DJ huh?
The PS2, CDIs, Pios 1000mk2s and Dens are all similar in scratching ability, all are solid, responsive and accurate performers. I did found that the D e n o n 5000 wasn't as nice to use as the others, in fact I though the spinning-gimmick jog wheel felt rather flimsy and toy-like to use.

At Entech this year I was fortunate enough to have a go on the Nuuma-rks new CDX1 - this baby is going to raise the bar in terms of vinyl-like scratch feel and features(mmmmmmm 12" real vinyl platter...drool!!!). I sincerely hope manufacturers embrace this style of deck design because I seriously want one.

ROQ out.
DJ Roq,

What about the Te***ics digital TT? Have you played with one of those yet? (yummy feel, true vinyl feel) Razzer And as for the scratch on the PS2 vs. Pio's mkII there is a difference in the scratch, the pio sounds more like and old Tech 1200 TT. But that's mho. Thanks for the input on the diffs with the CDI vs. PS2 tho. After hearing that example I'm glad to have my PS2's... Big Grin
DJ Rage..

Everything i am about to tell you is through personal experience with the CDI-500.

The CDI has more features then the PS2, and the feel of the jog wheel is much better on the CDI then the PS2. When it comes to scratching i have to agree with Stevie Ray.. ( much warmer feel ). But like i have said in the past it is always best to test out the product yourself. Your own personal experience is always better then anybody's 2 cents worth.

Honestly i would pick the CDI's over the PS2's simply because it's much better to navigate. The CDI is extremly user friendly. All the buttons on the CDI were designed to give the DJ a more comfortable navegational feel through the unit then the PS2.

The visual indicator on the new CDI-500 is an extreme plus on the unit that gives DJ's the ability to read the music like a clock. The indicatore follows the motion of your hand, with it's one to one ratio. This feature is not on the PS2.

CDI also has auto BPM counters, and TAP BPM. The Effects on the CDI also Sync up with the BPM's. This is great to have the effects sync up with the music your playing. The tap BPM is also great to customize how fast you what your effects to go with the music. This feature is not on the PS2.

When it comes to customizing the effects the CDI gives you that ability as well. Just like on the PS2 the CDI gives the DJ the abiility to customize the effects with it's parameter time, and parameter ratio. This will let you peak any effect you turn on and customize the sound.

Also something that not alot of people in this forum know about is that the CDI-500 give you the ability to perform the "Pre Sampling Senquence". This give you the ability to set 4 different type of loops on the unit and have them play back in the order you wish Automaticly. ( I will talk more about this later ). This feature is not on the PS2.

The CDI is a half times bigger then the PS2, and it's even lighter. Much better for mobile use, or club use.

If you have any questions regarding what i have said, or about the unit please ask away. I'll be here to help.
Rage, I own and used both PS2 and CDJ1000s, the scratching is the same i.e. accuracy, sound and performance. The only difference is the size in jog wheels. Besides the sound of the scratching has nothing to do with the brand or model you are using, it has to do with the person using it.

I haven't seen or used the new Tecchnics in person yet although I've heard a lot of negative feedback by people who have. The general comment is that it falls way behind the competition in a lot of aspects. Good luck in your decision.

ROQ out.
My PS2's are 2 years old and I still love them! I have tried every cd turntable out there and some may have one feature that I like, but overall they can't beat my PS2's. I did try the new Technics 1200 cd player and wasn't really impressed. Why did they put controls in the middle of the wheel? I know why, so you can hit a button and skip to another song when you where trying to spin the wheel back while beat juggling. Come on Technics, get rid of the middle buttons. Put them somewhere else.

P.S.
The PS2's look better than the CDI's Roll Eyes
To RDQ:

The DN's have a learning curve, which I prefer because my friends who are dj's now leave my players alone out of fear, but it is very feature rich... I also know of no other players (dn-9000 does but i mean cd tt type) that play 2 tracks off the same cd at the same time.

I am looking into a the CDI 500's for a buddy of mine because he likes American Audio. (he has the PSX's now)and is looking to move up. So from what I understand it is very similar to the PS2 but with more features, that is very cool, I must relay this to him...
quote:
Originally posted by jayo5000:
[qb]I also know of no other players (dn-9000 does but i mean cd tt type) that play 2 tracks off the same cd at the same time.[/qb]
Well the ProScracth series has something called Effect mix, although a little cruder. I have used it successfully to go between tracks myself.
quote:
Originally posted by jayo5000:
[qb] To RDQ:

The DN's have a learning curve, which I prefer because my friends who are dj's now leave my players alone out of fear, but it is very feature rich... I also know of no other players (dn-9000 does but i mean cd tt type) that play 2 tracks off the same cd at the same time.

[/qb]
Outstanding player, but realize you are comparing an $899 player vs. a $399 player. NOBODY else on the market offers alpha track, that's just how it is, and you have to salute them for that, but you are talking about a solid unit, that's half the cost and is very comparable in performance.
Greetings to all the cool djs out there..

Actually I'm new to this forum, but i've read all of your responses. I'm a user of American Audio products here in the Philippines and I like it very much... I have my ProDJ2, my PSX, and my new model the PRO SCRATCH 2 - PS2. Eversince I've gone into to world of dj mixing, this very product (American Dj/American Audio) have impress me a lot bringing me to this new world of technology. It's like bringing your inner most desire when it comes Dj mixing.

One of the dj said that it's not on the brand but its on the person using it, even though you have the most expensive player and you don't know how to operate it it's useless man...

American Audio, inspite of all the issues, guys i salute you... You're great keep up the good work, and more power..

By the way i'm just a regular user of this product and i'm not getting any money out here, but it's my pleasure to give such positive comments to the staff of american audio products.

I'm also a big fan of DJ SKILZ here in the Philippines... For DJ SKILZ men thanks for being such a good example man...

DJ Denz...
DJ SKILZ,

Thanks a lot.. Ok if there's any problem or issues i will be hearing about audio gears i'll try to keep in touch, but now as a beginner i'm enjoying playing with my PS2 it's a cool player man.

"PRO SCRATCH 2 REALLY ROCKS!!!" But of course in everything I do, I put discipline on it, more power guys...

I just wonder where can I download the CD tracks that DJ World Wide Web is been using on the demo film included on the tapes? I have a relative on California, I'm here in the Philippines, and my father is in California, he is the one who made the order of the PS2, If it's possible can I give the address of my father on California and i really wanted a copy of those tracks becoz i'm gonna use it during my practice. I believe practice makes perfect...

If there is a site available for download, pls. kindly inform me. Ok so much for my message..

From the Philippines,

DJ Denz
Jayo... Nobody here can give you any honest answer between the PS2, or CDI. CDI just came out not to long ago, and have not been in the market long enough for anybody to give you an honest opinion. Everybody here is going to tell you to go with the PS2 because they are very familiar with it, and are comfortable with it's performance.

I in the other hand have used both, and performed with both units, and i've been using the CDI 500 since December of last year, and i can tell you that the CDI is very worth the change over the PS2, or PSX. It's a great little unit that has more features then the PS2, and you won't be dissapointed down the road with it.
Thanks for the reply Skilz... I hope our local vender gets one in so my friend can try it out... He is not computer literate at all so he has a hard time getting info about this stuff, but after talking to him, he said to say "Thank You" for your information... Smiler

I think he is going to end up choosing the CDI...
Exelent points everyone! After what Skillz had said I might have to find somewhere to lay my hands on a pair of the CDI's. Beat synced effects is a nice tool to have and just for that I now have to check these things out Eeker Also since they have a 1 to 1 ratio that might be a help in my scratching where the PS2's you tend to pull back further on a wobble to keep it in the same area. Once again really good points from everyone. Oh BTW, I was spiking the thread with the tech 1200 CD thing. Wanted to see what others thought about them before I added my 1 1/2 cents. Razzer
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Clipuptags:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by Dj sTyLz:
[qb] Wassup guys im new to this so can you guys tell me how in the world you guys get to try so many cd players? [/qb]
I live in a world filled with dj equipment. . . . [/qb]
I have a friend who lives in a world filled with DJ equipment... Big Grin
BTW, have the 500's come in yet? I have to buy...i mean try... those. Wink

Living fairly close to a DJ shop helps. There's always new gear coming in, demo nights, etc. However, even if it's like an hour drive, I would still want to try things out 'hands on' before I purchased.
quote:
Originally posted by Billabong:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Clipuptags:
[qb]
quote:
Originally posted by Dj sTyLz:
[qb] Wassup guys im new to this so can you guys tell me how in the world you guys get to try so many cd players? [/qb]
I live in a world filled with dj equipment. . . . [/qb]
I have a friend who lives in a world filled with DJ equipment... Big Grin
BTW, have the 500's come in yet? I have to buy...i mean try... those. Wink

Living fairly close to a DJ shop helps. There's always new gear coming in, demo nights, etc. However, even if it's like an hour drive, I would still want to try things out 'hands on' before I purchased. [/qb]
Si Senor, as for that other thing, let me know what day, I myself probably won't be able to handle it, but I have some decent guys around me Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by myke:
[qb] !!!!!!!!!DCD 1000's are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah [/qb]
I must be missing something? I don't see how that's funny. . . .anyhow, you practice on whatever you are comfortable practicing with. Does it have to be the exact setup you will find in clubs, or that you use doing mobile events, NO. The more tools and resources that you use to learn on, the more easily you will adapt to new cd players, different mixers and learn the little nuances of each individual piece. There's no law that says you have to work ONLY on such and such cd player etc. . .
ok first of all it wasnt a hahah laugh...it was a sorta haha its mine!!get it!!
anyway secondily i was jus asking a general question..dont need all the technicalities!!
some cd players are better than others..its a fact!!true, different people like different players but i was asking a general question...i think u took everything i said in the wrong way!!oh well...
peace!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.