Skip to main content

Hi

I bought 4 x X-Scans in January 2009. They are the original, not the plus models.

Since then I have had 3 replacements for the same issue.

The first time, the LED turned itself off during a gig, everything else on the unit was still functioning. I set it up the next day at home, it booted up, but the LED didn't come on, however after giving it a hard tap it came on. I took it to my retailer who could recreate the issue, but was given an exchange unit.

The second time, the same occured, during a gig, the LED went out, but the unit carried on functioning. I set up the next day at home, however I couldn't get it to come back on with a tap this time. This unit was also replaced by the retailer and sent back to ADJ.

Last night a gig, the same has happened again, actually to the replacement unit I was given from the first time. It will be going back to the retailer on Monday for an exchange.

Is this a common fault on the X-scan or have I just been unlucky?

My warranty will expire soon, so will not be getting replacements. can't afford to pay out £249 for a new unit 3 times a year. Also if I replace one of my 4 units with the new plus model it will make the other 3 look dim.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cheers.

At the moment I'm a little dissapointed that ADJ are claiming 40k hours for these fixtures and after reading another thread have seen others are getting similar issues, it appears they do 400-500 hours then die.

Maybe this is something that has been resolved with the new plus model. But still I paid good money for these lights, I chose them over Martin scanners because of the 40k hours rating, as its more cost effective that changing bulbs all the time. Yes I understand ware and tear, but they are not abused, they are packed well in the van in original packaginf during transport, i'd be expecting a good 3-4 years service from them, and I've had 3 die, 1 after 3 months, 1 about 2 months later, and the other last night (this was actually the replacement for the first one, so has done 3 months less service than the others).

I live in the UK, so obviously I have to deal with my local retailer, If the new plus model is a fix for a known fault that ADJ have picked up on, are they going to compensate owners of the original x scans with the improved model? I can't afford to spend £1000 each year on scanners.

I'm guessing the replacement LED is probably as much as a new scanner.

Would I also be right in thinking the DJ scan is the halogen equivelent of the X scan, maybe I'm better off with these?
Stardustkaraoke
There hasn't been many issues on these lights. The XScan Plus has an updated LED in it which is a lower wattage but with a brighter output which will keep the light output last a lot longer. You can contact our Europe headquarters and they might be able to help you out with trying to get those lights taken care of for you. Their email address is serviceatamericandj.eu
Can you confirm wether the issue is;

1. a design fault with x scan / move mk1

2. an issue with the LED used in the pre-plus models

3. a bad batch

I need to make decisions, is upgrading to the plus model going to resolve the issue? is getting replacements from a different batch going to resolve this issue? would I be better off with an halogen scanner eg the dj scan 250 ex?

You say there hasn't been that many issues, but searching this forum I see someone who had pair of scans and pair of moves which all failed premature, the LEDs were replaced and failed again. Some one else who has 19 units and 17 have failed.

An expert in the UK here tells me that the LED is been driven to its very max which causes extreme premature failure.
Just thought i'd add to this thread - My Xscans have also had this problem. I have 4 Xscans and 2 units failed within weeks of each other. (purchased sept 2008, and have had a fair bit of use)

They are in the process of being fixed, but after reading this thread I don't feel too confident about the remaining scans, I suppose it won't be too long until the LED's fail on these too. Frowner
Got the reply "Please return the units to your dealer for repair" shortly and simply. Nothing about a exchange or after warranty breakage.

Write second email, still no answer one week already. It is so hard to give a answer?

If you don't exchange x-scan model on new x-scan plus model, then what about the after warranty repair if the lamp again burns down at 400 - 500 hours? I will be forced to buy new scanners?
This has been a recognised problem with the first version of the X-Move and why they were replaced with the Plus. I was about to buy 6 of these until I was made aware of the issues. Luckily for me, the Plus versions were just about to be released and I bought 6. I have had no problems with them whatsoever.
However, I do think a company the size of ADJ shouldn't be thinkimg twice about replacing the faulty units with the improved Plus versions.
I have the orig x-scan with the same prob. LED went out just like everyone else. My local dealer wants $182 to fix it and it will probably go out again. Are there any other options for us poor people stuck with the version 1? It's a known issue. When is enough, enough? I switched over to all LED specifically so this wouldn't happen.

DJ Fritz
I had this issue with all of my X-Scans, as the LED units failed I had them replaced free of charge but slowly one by one they all failed again so I replaced the scans with scanners from another company.

I have 4 X-Scans sitting in my garage which will be scrapped or sold for parts one day when I can be bothered.. I really liked the X-Scans but lost confidence in their reliability.
Another one of my refurbished lights is no longer lighting up, and I'm now out of warranty. Has anyone come up with a DIY fix for this and a source for parts?

Thanks,

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by jasbo71:
I had this issue with all of my X-Scans, as the LED units failed I had them replaced free of charge but slowly one by one they all failed again so I replaced the scans with scanners from another company.

I have 4 X-Scans sitting in my garage which will be scrapped or sold for parts one day when I can be bothered.. I really liked the X-Scans but lost confidence in their reliability.
I have 8 of the X scan Plus units in my venue and they have been subjected to all manner of manner of misuse! They get left on for days on end, bashed my promoters, Dj's and people hitting them whilst dancing. They get clogged by smoke, the fogger and dust and other rubbish. However they have never stopped working, infact they work better than lights three times their price.

The only thing we do is clean the outside of the unit, the lense on the top and the mirror and then the gobo's will come back as sharp as ever. If you do get a smashed mirror, just use the mirror out of a ladies compact case. We buy them from the local chemist for £1.99 and they make a great fix.

The only common fault we have had with all of them is that the adjustable lense casing cracks and the lense will fall out. We think the plastic goes brittle with age and the C spring inside plastic ring top forces the plastic open and makes it crack. Other than that we had have no problem. The other minor problem is that one of the fittings always panned the opposite direction to all the others but this was a bad DMX lead.

One good thing with these lights are that if your computer fails the lights take over and will work in auto mode.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.