Skip to main content

Just discovered these fixtures on the site, and WOW, they seem like an incredible solution. I'm currently spec-ing a new rig, and am certainly intrigued by these fixtures.

It says similar output to a 250W Halogen. This would seem perfect for club/bar installations and band use. I like this for a variety of reasons: The output is the same as a regular incandescent (or as it is advertised), it's small/portable, it only weighs a bit over 5 lbs, color wheel/dimmer/strobe, and ultra-low power consumption, and an extremely reasonable price tag!

I look at it this way too: they would be low maintenance, since there is no incandescent lamp to burn out!

So, my next question would be to see if anyone out there has used them or seen them and if so, what do you think??

PS - Also, is there a user manual available yet??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't used these particular fixtures yet, but chauvet has a similar line. The MiN series. I own the MiNSpot and I love it! The only problem is they used a RGB LED to do color mixing, where as ADJ, those smart fellows, used a color wheel. All colors have the same output. The MiNSpot also has some annoying problems, but I'm sure ADJ was smart enough to fix these! They always have been! So that's my opinion! Without buying one, I would say they are GREAT!

jthtiger
Eh, the Chauvet line is a bit different. They don't have an LED color changer that acts like an incandescent color changer. To me, ADJ has the edge with offering a scanner, moving head, and color changer in the same line.

One of the big things I look at when examining a fixture is to see how the output 'looks'. With many LED fixtures, they 'look' like LED fixtures, with lots of small points of multicolored lights that produce the overall output. It can be kind of a garbled and unappealing look when mixing (especially to a crowd).

I think traditional LED fixtures are great for washing walls and other places where the fixture itself isn't really seen. To me, regular LED fixtures (in color-mixing scenarios, not just all blue, red, green) are just not as appealing to look at. I'm not saying that those fixtures are not useful or are a bad idea, rather I'm just looking at the whole scenario of usages.

With the X-Colors, when you look at the fixture, you see the exact color coming out of the lens that matches the beam and the surface that it illuminates. Hence, the benefit of a single source (20W LED) and a color wheel.

What really excites me is that these things will probably become more powerful and less expensive than they currently are, making higher-end lighting available at such a better price point in the future.

Imagine what a 30, 40, 50+ watt LED source could do in a fixture...Obviously the technology is still developing, but for something like the X-Color to debut under $400, just imagine what time will bring us: More powerful fixtures with brighter output and lower price tags.

Simply amazing...
I'm a bit miffed at Chauvet for a few reasons.

Now, I'm all for color wheels. While the Chauvet fixture may have RGB mixing, and I'd have to see their attempt before I condemn it, I'm perfectly fine with using a color wheel solution. My color schemes are a little simplistic, so having a limited amount of colors to choose from is not really a problem for me.

If I end up with a single coherent beam in a moving head that has gobos, I don't care how they do it.

I view moving head fixtures different than wash lights for reasons mentioned. Washes tend to "wash the stage" and provide a color, rather than moviers tend to be a "featured" light where the audience is seeing the output directly in many instances unless a lighting design uses movers as a replacement for wash lights. And they have wash-moving heads as well.

Use your eyes, know what you want to use it for.

Personally, with the stuff coming out, I think I need to see things more now. I'll check out the online videos and if they don't answer my questions, I may have to see the light.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.