Skip to main content

Let me say my exposure to lighting has ranged from bottom of the barrel toy store stuff to top of the line fixtures on tours and brough by for-hire companies, so while I may not have seen it all, I have seen the range.

Why I am choosing American DJ? As a purchaser/end user, it was the first brand I came across. Convenient, isn't it? They made what I wanted and needed at what seemed to be a decent price. When you're just jumping in, you can't really determine what is and isn't a good price. When it's your money, then you can evaluate and decide for yourself.

Most of my fixtures have been ADJ. 32 Par38's right there would prove that, but I have plenty of others.

A couple of years ago, I needed more. I wanted color changers and moving heads. I went elsewhere. What have I experienced? Well, both are the same brand that isn't ADJ. I bought 4 color changers and 2 moving head units. The moving head units seem flaky. Excessive color wheel, gobo wheel and shutter movement. Even the movement is not exactly the greatest. The color changers? They seem to break bulbs in transport. Heck, half of them had bulbs broken in shipping to me, and the other half broke during transport to a gig.

What did this fixtures give me over the ADJ ones? Maybe more colors on the color wheel, maybe an extra gobo. Maybe a few extra dollars in my pocket at the end of the day.

Am I pleased? Sort of. They work. They get the job done.

Now, I realize many items are OEM'ed by the same company, probably in China. The bulk of the assembly and manufacturing is done there. Seems the final work is done probably elsewhere, even at corporate. This is where the chipsets, color wheels and gobo wheels get stuffed in.

Not to get really snooty, but I have some dimmer packs also by that other company, and tearing the back panel off those and my ADJ models, they are IDENTICAL.(yes, they are) But let's look at some other factors: While the other brand hasn't been used(no need to), despite careful transport, the softer metal has bent. An easy repair, but annoying. ADJ is using a harder metal and hasn't bent.

Comparing like for like, it seems sometimes even if the other one appears to have a few more bells and whistles at a lower cost, they seem to save that money somewhere, know what I mean?

Here's my thoughts: I'm sticking with ADJ. Why? Seems to have the quality I need for now. Tech support is good. Repairs are good. And if I have an issue, 1 phone call takes care of it.

Yes, price can be a factor. What do those intangibles end up costing? Is what you save really worth it? I do this for a business. I have to make business decisions. There's more to things than the bottom line price. I'm getting overall a better value for my ADJ lights.

And that's why I'm sticking with ADJ.

Need proof? Just bought 8 64B LED Pro's and MyDMX and 4 LTS-2 stand systems. That's within the last 2 weeks.

I need to get some scanners soon. I need to get some more moving heads soon. It's nice when I can save time not looking at loads of other sites. That saves me time, and hence money. Business.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chris excellent post. Let me say that I am a greenhorn at lighting compared to most of you. Recently I decided to undertake the task or relighting the entire nightclub I run. I searched for weeks on the "right" lights. I borrowed lights from other local clubs to test them out, play with their functions, etc.

About 3 weeks ago came the time to actually begin the ordering process. My sound engineer told me I was retarded for going ADJ. I told him, yes while there are better, more suited lightings for the application, we are working on a budget here. He proposed I go with all Martin Lighting. I did not take his advice. Below is what I bought.

4 AccuSpot 300 (I am ordering 4 more when I get more $$$)
4 Fusion Scan 250EX (cool light, thanx for the bulbs Ernie)
6 P64 LED (by far the best light for the $$$)

On order
4 Accuspot 300
8 Performance Scan
4 P64 LED

All in all with DMX cables, power cords, and clamps, my total was less than $8000.

Now had I listened to my sound engineer. I would have spent closer to $16000 for the Martin Lighting. Now I wouldn't ever dare say Martin Lighting isn't worth it. However, for 1/2 the $$$, I can buy all the ADJ stuff 2x. So as long as the ADJ is 1/2 as good, then I feel ADJ is the right choice.

So far the customer support and these forums have blown me away with willingness to help.

On a side note, Chris is right, nearly every light is made of the SAME components. It's just the final assembly thats different. That being said, you can buy the cheapest stuff, as long as you take care of it, do proper maintenance, don't abuse it, it should last for a long while.
Last edited by Former Member
Granted, you do get what you pay for. But I too am an audio engineer(primarily). Lights are a necessary evil I had to add to remain competitive wiht my lame competion. I'm trying to complete with the local heavies, but I don't have corporate dollars to make that happen.

Sure, you could go all Martins. Great brand, great lights. BUT, you're running a club. What's going on? Nothing as far as movement is concerned. You're not setting, striking and transporting your lights frequently. Why spent a ton? Makes no sense.

Now, if your club is the local night-spot and it's raking in big bucks, then if you see the need, then upgrade and go Elation or Martin.

Me personally, I have to support many many brands of equipment, not just in audio, but in data comm. What my data comm clients like is "one call gets them taken care of" when they call me. While that's not possible for my live sound production company, the fewer numbers, the better.

Chauvet angered me with poor support. Their lower prices with more colors on the color wheel or more gobos left me very cold. I'd rather pay the $20 extra going with ADJ. Why? I can talk to a human live or via electronic means. I rarely need it, but hey, ADJ is standing behind their products. I can't say Chauvet is. They want to blame me for my problems with THEIR lights.
Folks,

I too have to give kudo's to ADJ for their customer support. I had some problems getting in touch with them initially but thru this forum I got great points of contact and all my concerns were quickly addressed and taken care of! I have no other experience with any of the other manufacturers except Elation who has been Johnny on the spot also.

Ric

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.