im looking for a record with a lot of mechanical,futuristic,dark noise type samples to scratch with any suggestions?
Original Post
Just an idea, but it really depends on how well it works.

I've been "relatively" impressed with "scratchable" CD players. They weren't ADJ units, but that's not my point. With these units, you could "scratch" CD's, which unlike with records, is rather "harmless" to both the disc and playing head(stylus).

Talking to true battle DJ's, and I can see their point, "scratching" a CD is NOT the same as "scratching" a real vinyl disc. And I won't argue that point. I deal with the same type of scenarios in analog vs. digital consoles, analog vs digital recording, and heck, even LED lights vs traditional bulb technology.

IF "scratching" a CD provides results comparable for at least evaluation purposes, maybe the idea might be to make your own industrial sounds and then "scratch" it yourself. If that gives you acceptable results, maybe it might be time to upgrade/downgrade/something-grade to having your own vinyl discs cut. If you go this route, I would stronly suggest you take your CD with your material to go to vinyl to a mastering house that has the gear to properly cut a record. The disciplines for making a properly done record are vastly different tahn the mentality seen today in today's mixdowns and mastering oriented for CD release. A lot of the practices are NOT compatible because believe it or not, you can bounce the stylus out of a groove if you put too much bass in there. This is a problem you can address with EQ on your input channels on your mixer when playing it back, which should suffice. I know there are some guys are getting their own records made. However, with the entire record production process being rather costly and labor intensive(the nickel and silver playing, the laquer masters, the transfers, QC and then finally pressing), it's not exactly cheap, especially for small runs.

As an audio engineer and not a DJ, I can't really say what sounds good scratched or not.It could be that the sound you least expect could be giving you the results you want. I've got more of an open mind in regards to this. However, my experience with vinyl is to trasnfer it cleanly from the disc into ProTools for archival and restoration/enhancement to put onto CD while preserving the original sond as much as possible.

I've been contemplating getting a DJ-type 2CD player set-up that can do scratching and FX, but since that's not my primary business, I have opted instead to get other gear. I would say try the CD-based scratching and if that works for you, go burn your own CD-RW discs if those are compatible, go test it out and then notate what works and what doesn't. Compile those up and then you can burn your own CD's for "scratching". Remember, you can put up to 99 tracks on a CD, so you don't necessarily need the whole song, just enough to work with.

Enjoy. Worse case scenario, if you need a battle record, see if the pressing house can put a blade in between a set of pucks and "don't trim the excess". In the event of actual DJ war, you have an actual DJ weapon!
This topic was started a long time ago, so i know that the original poster probably wont read this, but for future wonderers.

go to your local thrift shops and get all types of records, you will find that different types of records produce different sounds.
childrens records such as sesame street is perfect! samples everywhere on those records, and great scrathing materials.
sound effect records are really good as well. I have many of these records that have sounds of the city, animal sounds, and just about anything you can think of.

for those who want to scrth on cd...
you can find these sounds easier with cd, I had three cds with about 100 sounds on them each (space sounds).

here is a tip! but keep this a secret, dont let this out guys!
for all those who use programs (serato, vdj, torq, etc.), sample a reaaaally short piece of whatever you want to scratch to such as fresh (just an example). lets say you sample the esh part, its gonna repeat over and over, now you dont even have to ue back and forth, you just have to cut with the fader. this is great if you want to lear how to crab, this way you can just focus on your crossfader.
try this and let me know if it works for you or whatever the outcome! Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.