Skip to main content

okay.....i blew one of the woofers in my subwoofer cabinets and ive got a replacement speaker that can handle more power than the original blown one but the replacement woofer has lower db than the original one by 6.....what would be the difference??.... will the cabinet handle more power but not be as loud or somthing??.....anyone with answers??

fobster.....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by dj fobster:
[qb]ive got a replacement speaker that can handle more power than the original blown one but the replacement woofer has lower db than the original one by 6.....what would be the difference??.... [/qb]
The differences would be....
*The materials of the cone.
*The actual surface size of the cone (2 18" woofers can acually have 2 different cone surface measurements.)
*The stiffeness of the cone & materials.
*The maximum excursion of the woofer

I'm sure I'm missing a couple things. Where did you get the db ratings? Different woofers, in different cabinets, will give you different db output.
hhhhmmm....i think i'll just stick the replacement woofer in and sell both cabs....save up and get some better subs...so, the more db's(and watts) the louder right??.....hhhmm....i'll keep that in mind.....but wait Confused Confused ....that just brings more questions.....so if i get a 500w sub that is say 100db's would it be as loud or even louder than say a 700w sub that is 90db's???....both fully powered to what they can handle??.....hhmmm Confused Confused ....ahh...i'll just try to buy the "LOUDER" subs...but yeah....thanx for the help though
please for gods sake don't just go out and buy speakers with the best specs. yes specs are nice, but listen to them 1st, even if you have to drive 4 or 5 hours its always worth it

you are correct that the 500w sub would be 'louder' in spl's i think it is something like every 3 or 6 db, you need twice the wattage.

Dj stevie is right on. Stick with pro stuff that has a proven track record
Remember, the DB scale is logarythmic, so 6 db is twice as loud as 3, but 9 is twice as loud as 6!

Remember, your a DJ, and sound is everthing, listen to them first!

P.s. Don't get more than one sub unless your trying to fill a huge room. Low frequencies are non-directional, and don't need to be duplicated for a stereo image.
thanx for all the help guys.....i think i've found the subs i want to get.....they sound real nice and im sure they can handle a school gym with ease.....but as for the old ones, well, i sold them for an aight price, the guy who bought them only wanted to use the boxes so he wasnt too concerned about the blown woofer. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

oh and that thing about Low frequencies being non-directional, and don't need to be duplicated for a stereo image...i never knew that Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

thanx alot for the help Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.