Skip to main content

Hello All user I noticed a couple of post in regards to the VMS4's Mic's being distorted. If this happens to you please let us know what Mic you where using. Here are some few things to help you out with this.
1.Start with your EQ @ 12 oclock.
2. Never boost any EQ band all the way.
3. It is better to trim you bass this will reduce your probability of Feedback.(Feedback is not distortion)
4. Keep you MIC out of your output range Speaker range, monitors, even headphones can cause feedback if your gain is opened enough (Try @ your own risk)
5. If you are using wireless mic's set them to MIC output. The Mic inputs are for mic levels only.
6. if you experience cracking when you move there might be a problem with you mic cable, Try a different cable.
7. The Mics on the VMS4 do not have auto talk over so to adjust or balance your levels either bring up the gain on the Mic or lower the fader on the channel playing do not push them both.

Hope this helps
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Ihearyou(American Audio):
Hello All user I noticed a couple of post in regards to the VMS4's Mic's being distorted. If this happens to you please let us know what Mic you where using. Here are some few things to help you out with this.
1.Start with your EQ @ 12 oclock.
2. Never boost any EQ band all the way.
3. It is better to trim you bass this will reduce your probability of Feedback.(Feedback is not distortion)
4. Keep you MIC out of your output range Speaker range, monitors, even headphones can cause feedback if your gain is opened enough (Try @ your own risk)
5. If you are using wireless mic's set them to MIC output. The Mic inputs are for mic levels only.
6. if you experience cracking when you move there might be a problem with you mic cable, Try a different cable.
7. The Mics on the VMS4 do not have auto talk over so to adjust or balance your levels either bring up the gain on the Mic or lower the fader on the channel playing do not push them both.

Hope this helps

thanx leo, i was using a wireless shure sm58, i did in fact have my headphones on, and i did in fact have a big ass 12" behringer powered speaker a few inches from me during my stream...DOH!!!
Thanks Leo, A very good post if its lessons on how to use a mic people need and may help some of the people out ..But I guess most of the Working DJ'S are well aware of how to use a mic as they like myself have been gigin for many a year ,thats not the problem with the Vms4's Mic channels bad sound is the problem not even what mike your using I have tried 4 of mine from the cheapest to the best shure mic I have.The gas thing is they all sound bad through this unit .
I don't mean to be funny but I do hope this is not your FIX for this problem Frowner
@thewicked: The issue really is not whether or not you know how to use a Mic, but getting it adjusted right on the VMS4. I've talked to Leo about this and we've tested the VMS4 with a huge variety of corded and wireless microphones on the market.

Many other mixers/controllers don't even have the full EQ of the VMS4 but rather 2 band EQ, just tone control, or sometimes no tone control at all. Add to this the VMS4 runs off of computer 5V while most mixers are running +/- 15V which will have a significant impact on how you need to adjust the sound levels to make everything sound clean.

I would make 2 additional recommendations:

8. Test the mic sound by cueing the master in the headphones. If it sounds crisp in the headphones and doesn't sound good coming from the speakers, this clearly indicates that the mic sound problem is somewhere else in the sound system or due to feedback.

9. Eliminate ground loops wherever possible. Power amplifiers are typically grounded and many new laptops are coming with grounded plugs. In the case where both are grounded, disconnecting the ground on the laptop makes the sound light years cleaner.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.