Skip to main content

Just to update everybody, here's what we're working on for solutions to these issues:

Retrofits
Microphones: An output level shifter (aka impedance transformer) to prevent distortion

Headphones & Master: Higher voltage power supply adapter for higher output. Testing in progress.

New Production
Microphones: reducing preamp gain and using gain knob as actual gain control to eliminate distortion and improve sound quality

Headphones: Increased power supply and increased gain. Roughly 6dB improvement

Master: Increased power supply and increased gain. Roughly 12dB improvement on booth, master RCA, and master balanced circuit

I can't speak officially for how support will handle these issues, but what I can say is we are definitely working on sourcing both a microphone impedance transformer for resolving the microphone distortion issue.

I'll just do my best to keep you informed and let you all know we take your feedback seriously!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great stuff but the main question is simply one and actually unanswered:
When Issues will be fixed, our new issues-affected-VMS4 will be replaced, will be upgraded, or simply we'll have to pay to obtain a fixed VMS4?

An answer will be appreciated and this is the answer that ALL VMS4 owners are waiting for.
Looks like they dont plan to replace existing units....instead "retrofit" them with the adapters.

emarx....i still have 2 weeks to return my unit, I know i am probably askin tough question but any idea how long it MIGHT take for the "NEW PRODUCTION"...best guess if possible. Thanks !!!
Last edited by Former Member
Hey all,

As I said above I'm doing my best to keep you all informed on what we are doing, but I can't speak officially for how support will handle these issues because I'm not authorized to do so. If there are specific dates i.e. for new manufacturing I will make sure our support staff gets this info as soon as possible.

I already have a working sample of changes that will be used in new production which our main office is currently evaluating.

If you have any technical questions or concerns about this I'm happy to discuss here.
I have been working with the unit sine the AC show. I have found that I am now starting to have problems with the unit. I am wondering if I should wait or call in. I am to the point where I can't use the VMS for a gig. I have reverted back to my old setup. Any advice is welcomed. I am no knocking the unit I just want it to work. If this was only a cheap product I would not care and chalk it up as a lesson learned but this was some cash. I like the unit and can't wait till the bugs are worked out.
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Freshfluke:
there will be an official announcement about the microphone issue soon.

Awesome and @elliot I assume that these will be provided free of charge for current owners???

and how soon is now? Im doing a big gig in 2 weeks saturday and would love it all working as it should!!
i got these about 2 days ago from ernie but i had a problem with my actual mixer. so i returned it yesterday to them and got a new one and put these on and it helped it out alot. now im just waiting to see if we get a new ac adapter for the power output soon

nice to see a company steping up to the problems instead of just giving excuses
Are we going to get 2 imedance matchers? After all there are 2 mic channels. Also, the problem with the imedance matchers is that they are usually about 10cm long and that would mean having to take it out of the flightcase, even though the flightcases out there for the VMS4 are designed so that the unit can be used inside the case.I have only ever seen these in (xlr input) to (6.3mm mono jack) so we will lose the balanced signal when connecting to the mic channel. Also the problem with the master output could be solved with a 2 channel active D.I.box if the new adapter tests fail. Been looking on the net for a 4 channel active D.I box, with gain and attenuation, and could only find a Behringer DI4000, unrortunately it is a rackmount unit.
After a disastrous first gig due to immense microphone distortion, I used an impedance matcher with my VMS4 for a second gig last weekend. (FYI, I use a Shure SM58 wireless mic system.) While the distortion was significantly reduced, it was definitely still there. I am still not satisfied that the impedance matcher is a bona fide solution to the microphone distortion problem. Has anyone else used the impedance matcher yet? Your thoughts?
By the way, I built a custom case for my VMS4 with a removable panel in the rear. I am fortunate to have that removable panel, otherwise the impedance matcher would not plug in without removing the VMS4 from the case (Pupenhausen)
i think that the top priority of the AA technicians should be the low level of the master volume and generally the quality of the sound.
i played on a club with a very descend sound system and i had to boost the amplifiers so that i can get the volume i wanted for the night and have no distortion from the vms4.
this affects all the vms owners!
quote:
Originally posted by Dave@playitup!:
After a disastrous first gig due to immense microphone distortion, I used an impedance matcher with my VMS4 for a second gig last weekend. (FYI, I use a Shure SM58 wireless mic system.) While the distortion was significantly reduced, it was definitely still there. I am still not satisfied that the impedance matcher is a bona fide solution to the microphone distortion problem. Has anyone else used the impedance matcher yet? Your thoughts?
By the way, I built a custom case for my VMS4 with a removable panel in the rear. I am fortunate to have that removable panel, otherwise the impedance matcher would not plug in without removing the VMS4 from the case (Pupenhausen)
I had a flight case company so I am lucky enough to be able to build myself one to fit the impedance matchers, but unfortunately not everybody has these skills. Have you tried lowering the gain inside the actual mic. If u don't already know there is a -10 db gain switch inside the mic. You have to unscrew the head and it is in the top of the hand held part. This should fix your distortion problem and you might not even need to use the impedance matcher at all. I am a pro sound engineer, and I often see bands using radio mics with distortion as they have loud singers but dont realise that playing with the 'hidden' gain inside a radio mic is just as important as using the gain on the receiver or mixer.
I also had a fault were if anything was unplugged on the same mains feed as my VSM4, it would crash and need to be rebooted, not good in front of a crowd of 2000 dancing clubbers. Anyway I have given up on my SECOND VMS4 (the first was poorly built and had mic pots that grinded against the case and a grinding ch3 fader)and it has now been returned to the shop for some new gear that works out of the box with no 'retrofits'. Glad I am now rid of the VMS4 forever!
there are many SM58 wireless systems, depending on what wireless system you are using your output levels and impedance varies. IE in the Shure ULX receiver with the XLR out the signal -17dBu @ mic level but at only 22ohms of impedance. while on the PGX it is -19dBu @ mic level with 22Ohms. I have personally tested the VMS4 with the ULXS receiver and an SM58 if your audio levels RED LEd comes on when you speak in an normal voice adjust the mic gain adjustment on the transmitter (handheld or lavelier) and lowering my volume on the receiver output to about 50% so i can have headroom on the gains of the VMS4. there is also an attenuation switch for LOUD speakers or if you want to sing death metal.The Eq is also there to help you set your tone or cut off unwanted frequencies, not intended to boost your output level. Use the EQ in accommodation to you mic frequency response curve.
quote:
Originally posted by Pupenhausen:
I also had a fault were if anything was unplugged on the same mains feed as my VSM4, it would crash and need to be rebooted, not good in front of a crowd of 2000 dancing clubbers. Anyway I have given up on my SECOND VMS4 (the first was poorly built and had mic pots that grinded against the case and a grinding ch3 fader)and it has now been returned to the shop for some new gear that works out of the box with no 'retrofits'. Glad I am now rid of the VMS4 forever!

How did you have everything wired to make the VMS4 reset when something was unplugged?
It didn't reset itself, I had to reboot it manually after the unit crashed. I found this fault by accident when packing down my radio mic. I had disconnected the xlr from the VMS4, turned the receiver off from the front, then removed the power adapter. That is when the VMS4 crashes and stopped playing music in VDJ 7 PRO. The buttons become unresponsive and I then have to reboot VDJ and the VMS4. I know it wasn't VDJ which crashed as I am able to select a different soundcard in the config menu and continue playing music. I only have to reboot VDJ to gain function with the VMS4 again
quote:
It didn't reset itself, I had to reboot it manually after the unit crashed. I found this fault by accident when packing down my radio mic. I had disconnected the xlr from the VMS4, turned the receiver off from the front, then removed the power adapter. That is when the VMS4 crashes and stopped playing music in VDJ 7 PRO. The buttons become unresponsive and I then have to reboot VDJ and the VMS4. I know it wasn't VDJ which crashed as I am able to select a different soundcard in the config menu and continue playing music. I only have to reboot VDJ to gain function with the VMS4 again

So your Saying that unplugging the XLR on the VMS4, Turning of the Receiver on your MIC caused the VMS4 to become unresponsive? Any one else have this problem when they unplug their MIC. Pupenhausen what type of computer are you using? sounds to me that your computer and the VMS4 loss communication so it could loose audio and or MIDI. Make sure you are using a driver supporting USB(look for the USB icon) if you loose communication between the computer and VMS4. Check your sound setting hit apply, then make sure the VMS4 is your MIDI controller. (VDJ scan for controls, traktor Select the VMS4 dont use all ports)
quote:
Originally posted by Ihearyou(American Audio):
quote:

So your Saying that unplugging the XLR on the VMS4, Turning of the Receiver on your MIC caused the VMS4 to become unresponsive? Any one else have this problem when they unplug their MIC. Pupenhausen what type of computer are you using? sounds to me that your computer and the VMS4 loss communication so it could loose audio and or MIDI. Make sure you are using a driver supporting USB(look for the USB icon) if you loose communication between the computer and VMS4. Check your sound setting hit apply, then make sure the VMS4 is your MIDI controller. (VDJ scan for controls, traktor Select the VMS4 dont use all ports)
Nope. I said that after doing all of the above, it happens when I then unplug the PSU of the radio mic. It happens when any PSU from any type of equipment is unplugged on the same mains feed as the VMS4 (conventional OR anti surge mains outlets)The VMS4 must be sensitive to the voltage spike. It 100% isnt a faulty cable. I'm using an ultra high spec Alienware laptop with Windows 7. I am an A/V electronics service engineer/ sound engineer so I have a good idea how to eliminate what is and what isn't causing a fault, it's not drivers or or any other software causing the fault.
Alienware, nice machines lots of RAM built for gaming. Ok lets Trouble shoot this is your PC AMD or Intel?

If you have an AMD machine your computer can be putting the USB device to sleep this is BIOS related see if Alienware has a "AMD USB filter driver" this resolves the device IRQ priority.

If your using an intel check that you are using the latest BIOS and set your computer performance if you have your system so that windows pick whats best for visuals select best performance.
I have had my VMS4 for a few days now. everything is great( totally stable platform so far) except for the out-put level and mic. channels. The impedance matcher on the mic. helps but both problems seem to be much better with my DBX driverack in the system boosting levels to unity gain from channel strip to amp inputs.
I know that doesn't help most of you but it is a fix of sorts.
Going to sell my VMS4 and get the Xone 4D. Should have known that AA can't solve those problems. I'm really disappointet. Anybody tried to connect turntables? When i play a track on my 1210 Mk2 trough the analog inputs, the play and cue leds start dimming. So there is definitly a problem on the power source, seems to be really weak to drive such a unit. The low output gains are one point why this console is no PRO hardware. Okay for homemixing, but nothing for professionals. I don't want to put my DJM800 between amps and vms4 everytime i use the unit. But everything else ends up in low level or distortion.

BTW, left channel on the 1. analog input is not working from first day i have the unit. Thats about "quality".
quote:
Originally posted by dbassix:
Anybody tried to connect turntables?

uhm, yes? dont see your problem over here.

quote:
BTW, left channel on the 1. analog input is not working from first day i have the unit.

well, that's something you can easily work out with the support. have you been in contact with them?
quote:
Originally posted by hardwiredentertainment:
there was info up about an 'impedance matcher' for microphones. i emailed AA 3 times and have had NO REPLY!

I contacted AA ages ago, sent them all the relevant paper work (proof of purchase etc) and still heard or received nothing!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.