Skip to main content

Is there a 150W bulb I can put in my Ultras?? I know that sounds strange - usually everyone wants brighter lights - but I am using my Ultras as spot lights at times and, especially when used near field, the 250W bulbs are just too bright in the eyes. (The mechanical dimmer in the Ultras is fine for fade-in, fade-out but doesn't work well for continued dim - it distorts the beam shape.)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think a different wattage would screw with the electronics/ power ballast. A medium orange filter would actually bring the color temperature of the Ultra closer to theatrical standard.

Also, human sight is relative, if you dont want the spot light to be blinding bring up some general stage light (a medium blue should work well), people's irises (including the performer's) will close a little more and the spot should look better. You can also try to position the light is such a way that the performer isn't staring directly at it (30-45 deg above works well).
Thanks J. You know your stuff. Maybe I'll give the gel a shot. My Ultras are already at a 45 and bringing up ambient (pars) would lose the look I'm after at times. The 250W power doesn't bother me but some of my band mate are complaining a bit. (I tell them, just as you don't look at the sun when you're outside, don't look at the lights when you're playing!!!!!)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.