Skip to main content

I'm looking to make a purchase on a set of DJ Scan 250 HPs, but I would like to know two things. Any information is appreciated!

1) The 250 HP manual indicates the fixture is capable of the "gobo shake" effect. However, it is not listed as a feature on the main product page, nor does it appear to be shown in the demonstration video. Do these fixtures really implement the gobo shake effect?

2) Could I replace the gobo wheel and color wheel of the HPs with the color and gobo wheels from the Fusion Scan 250?

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi SaturnA, here are some answers!!! I have 2 of these lights!

1. Yes, these fixtures do have gobo shake but based on my experience the gobo's kinda blend together and it is real jumpy which may not be what your looking for.

2. I don't know. If they are the right size then yes but i have only opened my lights once so im not sure.

hope this helps!

jthtiger
Hi jthtiger,

Thanks for replying!

So perhaps I am seeing the "gobo shake" in the video.. I thought what I was seeing was just the gobo wheel scrolling to a different gobo as part of the program and not "shaking".

You being an owner, I would be curious what you think about the lights.. If you would buy them again, if they have been reliable, if you are impressed with the effect they provide.
I'm not aware of any ADJ scanners in that price range, or even close, with replaceable gobos.

It would be nice if replaceable gobos were a standard on all fixtures since arbitrary gobos are not always particularly enjoyable. While standard on moving heads, they seem only to exist in the upper echelon of scanners.
If a basic design was implemented to allow switchable gobos or gobo wheels on certain low-end scanners, ADJ could conceivably stand to profit from accessory sales. Sell additional gobo wheels or color wheels for $30 or $40 and they continue to profit after fixtures purchases. Furthermore the customer gets more choices and uses out of a fixture. How about a Halloween wheel, a Christmas wheel, a disco wheel.. Etc. With a little research design, a standardized ADJ gobo wheel design that spanned several kinds of fixtures would open up broad new uses for customers and new opportunities for increased profits from ADJ.

Ah, to dream.
Honestly, I would not recommend the lights. It is more of a personal preference though. The stepper motors on the lights are not very smooth. As far as reliability, they haven't been good for me. I just got them back from being repaired, they broke a couple of days after I got them. The color wheel slipped out of alignment on one and the fan went out on the other. HOWEVER, I used them CONSTANTLY, I was like a kid in a candy store. I would use them all night so. . .
so come up with your own opinion!
Would I buy them again? No.

jthtiger
Stay away from the DJ Scan!!! If you plan on future expansion and using a DMX controller, they are horrible lights due to their choppy pan/tilt motors. Yes they are cheap, but why not save up and buy some higher quality lights so you don't end up having to buy again down the road.

What do you plan on using these for?
Thanks for all the info. It sounds like the DJ Scans are not worth the bother. There doesn't seem to be anything else from American DJ in that general price bracket as far as scanners go.

Light Dude - I want two scanners to install into the top of two stage set pieces on the front of the stage. I also want them to be under $200. I also want them to be a model that will be around a while because in a few months I will probably pick up two more of whatever I decide on for a complete set of four. I prefer ADJ for a myriad of reasons, but it looks like I might have to go to another company on this particular application. The smooth movements are important. The DJ Scan HPs were so cheap at $130 a pop that I thought it might be worth it, but it's become clear they would just be a hassle and a disappointment. The Chauvet Intimidator 2.0's for $180, that's a good price/feature point. But then, Chauvet is asking for trouble and their customer service has become shameful. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point, but thanks to everyone's input, and scouting around for reviews and such, I've certainly found out what I won't be buying.
SaturnA, where do you buy your lights, because the lowest price I could find for a DJ Scan 250 HP was $200.00. Please tell me where! WAIT! I don't think you can post dealers here! E-mail me then jthtiger2010 "AT" yahoo.com (separated due to spamming!)

I think the Chauvet Intimidator 2.0's should work, but im not 100% sure!

jthtiger
I don't expect High End or Martin performance for less than $200, no, but there are options. Who knows maybe I won't get any scanners at all and will go a different direction. But when not even employees of a company can recommend a product, as in the case of the 250 HP's, I'm going to heed that advice.

It's a real shame ADJ cancelled the Performance Scan 250. I don't know why that got dumped and the HP's and Deluxe Scan remains.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.