Skip to main content

I thought I read somewhere on here that the signal strength that mydmx isn't that strong and depending on the length of cable run you may need a signal splitter/booster.

Does anyone have a recommended cable length that you could go by, to determine if you may need one or not. Or any advice to this?

Being a mobile DJ, my cable runs are not that long, but just wanna make sure a plitter is something that I wouldn't need or may need in the future.

Allen
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keep in mind that number of fixtures on the line also have an effect. DMX is limited to 32 devices per universe. Some fixtures will also suck more strength then others will as well. I have never used a dongle based control system before, so I can't give estimates as to when signal drop out may become an issue with number of fixtures. However, I can comment that there are a few Chauvet fixtures that don't play too nicely/play at all with other fixtures/non Chauvet controllers.
See here for an example of some Chauvet product not working correctly. Scorpion LG-60 not responding at all and Colorstrips that flicker intermittently.

There are a few more of their products that have issues like this. They either want to be first in line, last in line, or on a line without anything else but themselves. They also have some weird signal issues like the flickering described above. Yet for some reason, their product works just fine on their controllers.

DMX was invented to get away from propitiatory nonsense. Chauvet seems to be bringing it back...
I have successfully run MyDMX through 200-feet of DMX cabling before it hit the first fixture and it's worked just fine for 8 64 LED Pros. But I've since learned some things and my overall designs have some requirements that requierd I buy the OptiBranch/4 DMX splitter. It has to do with where my lights go, where I am and other stuff like that. Since I'm not a DJ and don't run my rig from the stage and since my lighting configuration can be quite spread out, a single-run mentality doesn't work for me.

For the money and if you have a significant lighting investment, you should look into an Optibranch/4 or another similar Elation product(the name eludes me). This unit will protect you from possible damage to your equipment due to feedback on te signal cable due to stuff being powered on/off. It also will boost your signal strength. These are features I wanted. But, I also needed the splitter since I run spots behind me. Using the splitter saves me gobs of tme in wiring.

One of the things SerraAva brings up is unfortunately a way of life. In this case, he is talking about DMX and Chauvet trying to square up the wheel. DMX was in fact made to get away from proprietary signalling protocols. The same concept is used for other protocols, such as MIDI, MADI, ethersound and many other professional protocols. Cisco, the data networking giant, LOVES to come up with new proprietary things, and then impose them upon the industry(often with success). Sure, NEW stuff requires new things. I'm sure DMX is not a dead protocol, but I'm sure its not heavily evolving at this point either.

Just one more reason for me to continue to stick with the ADJ brand.
The products Chris is describing can be found here. The one is the DMX Branch/4 and the other is the Opto Branch 4. They are both the same unit. One simply takes 1 rack space, the other 2 if you want to mount them in a rack.

I personally have a few DMX Branch/4s for a couple of years now and still going strong. I like them more because the rack ears can be taken off vs the Opto Branch. I pretty much always have them stand alone and never rack mounted. Though this might change if I get a DMX rack made up with a DP2000 or DP8000 in it.
I think depending on the exact nature of how the wiring must be run, both have their strongpoints.

For me, the OptoBranch 4 works best. It's in the rack, its hard to lose a rack(not that I've ever tried), and since I am a one-man production, it's ideal. I can sen 2 runs to the back(or up, or back and up) to two spot towers/positions, while still sending a run to the stage and then having an open send if I should ever need it. But, once on stage, the DMX Branch/4 would be a better fit for me because A: I don't have rack space for another OptoBranch 4 and B: The rugged box can be placed somewhere out of the way and then I can have a split to the front truss, rear truss and the footlights, and still leaving me a send open should I need it. Or, if I'm running MyDMX stageside like I did on my SacAnime event, I could have been up and running a bit faster with a bit less cabling using a DMX Branch/4. I don't like taking racks apart if I don't have to. Sure, I could save money, but for the price and if business takes off, the DMX Branch/4 would be an ideal add-on that I've been considering for quite some time.

In this case, it's not a matter of "right tool for the job" but more of a "which correct tool best fits in with your situation". It's nice to have choices like that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.