Skip to main content

Is it just me or does the VMS4 sound flat/dull???

My other setup was a Hercules RMX connected to a AA Q-SD mixer running Virtual DJ in external mixer mode and the sound quality was awesome.

However the VMS4 sound doesn't appear to be as rich. I have also had distortion issues with some tracks even when the VU meters showed the track peaking at less than -0.

Gains and master we all well under 50%.

Anybody else?

Roy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Always...

Have just tried out my setup for tomorrow night so will be taking it live - yes live!!!

I will have VDJ on midilogs 2 & 3 and my RMX on midilog 1 in analogue mode.

Have already tried and I can switch from the VMS4 to the RMX and back again without restarting the software. Just needed to change the sound setup and the mapper.

Did all this mid track, the only side affect was a very slight break in the track as I switched from the RMX to ASIO.

But I am confortable that I can take the VMS4 live and have a backup literally seconds away!

Roy
quote:
Originally posted by MisterC:
quote:
Originally posted by Deephouser:
I'm using a mac and the sound is very bad, unusable half of the time. Couldn't possibly use it to perform live. I'm pretty gutted Frowner

Hey deephouser what Config / set up have you got

ie Sound card etc.

the quality of the driver is more than good, the sound problem is because the configuration, looking for the solution is found, the solution is that the EQ is enabled driver (PREMIX) then we are using two wing equalizacions again .. . the solution is to delete the mapping of eq traktor or put the controller in (postmix) for this has to squeeze and hold the Cue button 4 (3 or 4 seconds) and wing again turn on the controller. in the configuration of the controller will see how the serial number beginning with 0, start by 1.y now thats all! , The sound is very very good
Here's the report from my first night out with the VMS4.

Output level seemed really low. I kept at around +4 as the manual states but it still sounded low compared to the clubs pioneer mixer and my own AA Q-SD mixer I used to use.

The gain affects the phones volume substantially. I was running with gains at about 50% with the fades up full. This meant I couldn't turn the master volume up much over half. With this setup the booth output was also quite low.

I could obviously try running the gains higher which means the phones and the booth would be louder but would mean the master would be much lower - which seems weird to me.

Even with VDJ set to gain+remember I did have to adjust levels to get a consistent output. And the VU meters in cue mode are at a lower level to the main output so it's difficult to set up front.

Plus I also find the VU's in cue mode annoying as I prefer to watch the master VU's while mixing, but can't if I have the phones on.

I've also narrowed down the cue issue which only happens when VDJ is running, but I plan to re-document in a new video.

Found the Mic gain very, very sensitive. Had to turn the gain on the radio Mic receiver waaaay down and then I could get a decent response out of it. Again, didn't have this problem on the AA Q-SD mixer - one would have thought that common components would be used!

That's all for now.

Roy
quote:
Originally posted by Corneloues:
Here's the report from my first night out with the VMS4.

Output level seemed really low. I kept at around +4 as the manual states but it still sounded low compared to the clubs pioneer mixer and my own AA Q-SD mixer I used to use.

The gain affects the phones volume substantially. I was running with gains at about 50% with the fades up full. This meant I couldn't turn the master volume up much over half. With this setup the booth output was also quite low.

I could obviously try running the gains higher which means the phones and the booth would be louder but would mean the master would be much lower - which seems weird to me.

Even with VDJ set to gain+remember I did have to adjust levels to get a consistent output. And the VU meters in cue mode are at a lower level to the main output so it's difficult to set up front.

Plus I also find the VU's in cue mode annoying as I prefer to watch the master VU's while mixing, but can't if I have the phones on.

I've also narrowed down the cue issue which only happens when VDJ is running, but I plan to re-document in a new video.

Found the Mic gain very, very sensitive. Had to turn the gain on the radio Mic receiver waaaay down and then I could get a decent response out of it. Again, didn't have this problem on the AA Q-SD mixer - one would have thought that common components would be used!

That's all for now.

Roy

I`m thinking ,,,the problem is the firmware to control the hardware,,i have some mistakes before upgrading
@Corneloues: You may be getting distortion in the audio even at 0dB because the channel gains in software are set too high. In this case the audio would already be distorted once it gets sent to the VMS4 and the VMS4 can't undo the distortion.

You can easily fix this by running the software gains lower and the EQ gains on the VMS4 higher.

As far as the output level is concerned, the VMS4 is set up to run directly off of either USB power or an external adapter which are both 5V. Because of the lower supply voltage, the output level is also a bit lower. If we made this a full +/- 15V product like a typical mixer, then the power drain would go way up, and the product would need permanent external power. So if you lost the power adapter you would be completely stuck.
Mr Elliot Marx.

You say the problem of low output is down to the unit taking power from the 5V USB Bus and not from an external 15V source.

Okay - granted.

It's also said that the unit doesn't perform as well as it could, unless the external power is plugged in.

Again - granted.

So why didn't some bright spark say lets go with the conventional 15V input (as it needs an external PSU anyway) and fix the output issues !

DUH !

So if we loose the PSU before a gig, use the industry standard IEEE plug that everyone else uses, use a low noise sheilded PSU inside the unit - it's not hard to think of these things.

This unit has not been fully thought out, or if it has some major compromises have been made, that affects the most importnat person that comes into contact with it .. i.e. the bleedin' DJ.

Fortunately I managed to send my unit back for refund, but i did loose out £50 for couriers both ways, leaving me with nothing but a bad taste from dealing with your company.

The promises your company made have been far fetched and undelivered, many of the support staff sound condesending to their customers (and without then you'd all be out of work - so remember that !).

This is my first and last purchase from ADJ, now the season is over for the professionals, I'll wait unitl Native Instruments have there controller released at Christmas.

Their launch of the X1 earlier this year went without problems, it worked directly out of the box and has almost no support issues.

Take a leaf from their book and on your next release GET IT RIGHT ... especially the electronics ..
topic is sound related!

@ Groovin DJ your last post has nothing to do with this issue. except line 1, so please edit or will get deleted!

@ JSM: Sorry that we couldn't satisfy your needs.
But comparing the NI S4 with our VMS4 is quite hard, since the specs are quite different. Even so the pricing. And of course it will perfectly fit to their software, since it's the same company.
Wanna discuss the NI S4, start new thread, not in here!
Harmut,

It's not just my needs, it's the needs of everyone that uses it. You chose to reply to one little comment about a rival unit, rather than focus on the REAL issue ! The VMS4 has some serious problems.

Okay you are paid to defend this device, but please don't be condesending, many of the people on these forums could run rings around you in education, background, skill and knowledge.

Those people are having problems with a device you are here to support, these guys are not novices, many are working professional DJ's, studio engineers or artists . so please be a little more respectful.

BTW the VMS4 and the NI "S4" are VERY similar in specifications.

Both 4 channel MIDI mixers, with built in sound, assigable buttons etc.

There's a big difference though, NI's will work with 4 decks as advertised, the VMS4 doesn't without some major upgrades to the software and the user mapping it for themselves.

The pricing is not far off the cost of a VMS4 and the pro software it needs to get it working with 4 decks .. think about what you are saying.

The final price and specs have not been released as yet anyway, but i guess it work like their X1, both as native HID and 20point MIDI.

The VMS4 promised all these things and more (I went to NAMM2010 to veiw this and spoke at length with Tom and a few other people, they all told a different story to the final product.

The delays on this device were to "iron out" all problems before release, however on release we find that the sound output isn't good enough to be used in a decent sized club - big mistake, as this has now become an expensive bedroom DJ unit, it's supposedly aimed at the pro market, where I am sorry to say - you've dropped the ball.

This was your first entry into a very dynaminc and technology rich environment, the controllerists. We make many of our own unit's, we sit for hours programming PIC's and mapping buttons, re-designing fader controls etc. we know what is required from a unit, number 1 is the sound quality, number 2 is functionality, number 2 is reliability.

As I said before, on your next unit, GET IT RIGHT or get out ...

EDIT...
I guess the next posting will be

/ LOCKED Wink
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by emarx:
@Corneloues: You may be getting distortion in the audio even at 0dB because the channel gains in software are set too high. In this case the audio would already be distorted once it gets sent to the VMS4 and the VMS4 can't undo the distortion.

You can easily fix this by running the software gains lower and the EQ gains on the VMS4 higher.

As far as the output level is concerned, the VMS4 is set up to run directly off of either USB power or an external adapter which are both 5V. Because of the lower supply voltage, the output level is also a bit lower. If we made this a full +/- 15V product like a typical mixer, then the power drain would go way up, and the product would need permanent external power. So if you lost the power adapter you would be completely stuck.

Some background on myself if I may:

DJ - 25 years +
Digital DJ - 5 years +
Virtual DJ Pro - 2 years +

I am actually upgrading from a Hercules RMX to the VMS4. The gains are set as they should be within the software - This hasn't changed in over 2 years - I know what I'm doing!

If you read the post correctly, it's the mic that disorts, the issue with the output is the overall volume is low even when peaking at +4dB.

Cheers,

Roy
quote:
Originally posted by Corneloues:
the overall volume is low even when peaking at +4dB.

Compared to what?

I'm used to using A&H DJ mixers, and I have not noticed any significant difference in output level.

If you like, I can measure it - I have a suitable meter, test tones etc.
quote:
Originally posted by Jackpot Slot Machine (JSM):
Harmut,

It's not just my needs, it's the needs of everyone that uses it. You chose to reply to one little comment about a rival unit, rather than focus on the REAL issue ! The VMS4 has some serious problems.

Okay you are paid to defend this device, but please don't be condesending, many of the people on these forums could run rings around you in education, background, skill and knowledge.

Those people are having problems with a device you are here to support, these guys are not novices, many are working professional DJ's, studio engineers or artists . so please be a little more respectful.

BTW the VMS4 and the NI "S4" are VERY similar in specifications.

Both 4 channel MIDI mixers, with built in sound, assigable buttons etc.

There's a big difference though, NI's will work with 4 decks as advertised, the VMS4 doesn't without some major upgrades to the software and the user mapping it for themselves.

The pricing is not far off the cost of a VMS4 and the pro software it needs to get it working with 4 decks .. think about what you are saying.

The final price and specs have not been released as yet anyway, but i guess it work like their X1, both as native HID and 20point MIDI.

The VMS4 promised all these things and more (I went to NAMM2010 to veiw this and spoke at length with Tom and a few other people, they all told a different story to the final product.

The delays on this device were to "iron out" all problems before release, however on release we find that the sound output isn't good enough to be used in a decent sized club - big mistake, as this has now become an expensive bedroom DJ unit, it's supposedly aimed at the pro market, where I am sorry to say - you've dropped the ball.

This was your first entry into a very dynaminc and technology rich environment, the controllerists. We make many of our own unit's, we sit for hours programming PIC's and mapping buttons, re-designing fader controls etc. we know what is required from a unit, number 1 is the sound quality, number 2 is functionality, number 2 is reliability.

As I said before, on your next unit, GET IT RIGHT or get out ...

EDIT...
I guess the next posting will be

/ LOCKED Wink

Ok JSM you are bitching about promises which never have been made and refering to features, which, at that point of time, where a “fact”. From the Namm show to the release some facts changed, which leaded to the release which it is now. Didn’t you inform yourself about the unit before you bought it??
Support: yes, we are supporting and or on the forums the whole day. All of them is being helped in person via our service departments and help desks. So what are you complaining about?
I’m being not respectful to any one on here? Proof it?

OK, you wann go into the S4 VS VMS4 discussion, go ahead.
Midilog channels
VMS4 = YES - S4 = NO
You talking about VMS4 does not work with 4 decks, well, sorry, but now I need to be unrespectful to you and need to say, that you did not understand the VMS if you say that.
Pricing
VMS4 = 399.- euro + TPro = 189.- Euro = 589.- Euro
S4 will be something around 799 to 899 euro, and will NOT come with TPro, some other version
We never advertised HDI!!!
No need to hide from you and /close the thread – closing threads is needed because of user simply don’t understand the rules.
Compared to a Pioneer DJM600 and one of AA's own Q-SD mixers.

How do I know? Well in the club they use a cloud multizone mixer and when I've used the DJM or the Q-SD the zone mixer output gets set to 6 and I can then control the volume from the booth. Very rarely do I have to peak the mixer.

On connecting the VMS4 I had to turn the zone mixer up to 8 and even then when it was peaking at +4 there was an obvious lack of sound - to the point of almost loosing the sound against the background noise in the club!

Turning the zone mixer up higher and no affect whatsoever...

But I'm now thinkng the problems may be down to individual components - some being good some being bad. If I returned my VMS4 for an exchange I might get one back that's perfect or with different issues.

Roy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.