Skip to main content

I have 2 scan 250HP which I'm very unhappy with. The movement of the mirrors are jumpy. They don't slide from one point to the other. They jump. I'm using a Eliminator DMX operator and even when I have them in stand alone mode they jump. They also do not line up properly. If I point them both in the same position one is always higher than the other. I don't know if they're all like this or not. If someone would like to purchase them from me I can give you a good deal. They're only about 3 or 4 months old and have never taken them out to do a show yet. I just hung them to see how they looked.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The movement is 8-bit, which tends to be jumpy. If you want smoother movement, you need to upgrade to a fixture that has better stepper motors and most likely also has 16-bit movement control(X+Xfine and Y+Yfine channels, 4 channels total in the case of a moving yoke fixture). It's not a controller issue, you'd have the same problem with any controller surface or software, because it's a motor and control issue. You could adjust your fade times to try and get a bit of the jumpiness out of the picture, but it won't really address the problem.

If you point them both to the same location and one is higher than the other, then one of them is aimed higher on your stand or truss, which is a super easy to make mistake, which of course is happening by accident anyways.

If you get a fixture with better stepper motors, even if you don't use 16-bit movement addressing, you'll at least be able to get the smoother movement you want. I'm using some Chauvet Q-Spot 150's(moving yoke heads) and despite issues I have with the fixtures, movement has always been smooth. They only jump when I want them to jump. My main problem is that there is too much movement between values on X or Y, which is why this fixture has X and Y fine movement channels. Of course, it's no secret that I'm looking to replace these with some sort of equivalent fixture from ADJ soon, perhaps a VIZI series fixture.....

Also, thanks for respecting the "not a marketplace" rules. You did well. You're not listing prices and are requesting people to contact you directly. This is an excellent example to all for how to do things properly on this forum.

My two suggestions for you for future purchases are as follows. First, see if you can see the fixture in action before you buy it, and see if they'll let you play with it at the same time. Two, before you do step 1, see if you can download a manual and/or see a preview video if the fixture in action. This step should help you narrow down selections or let you kick out things you for sure don't like it.

At least you seem to have a good grasp of what you do and don't want. That's a major advantage when it comes to light shopping. Too bad you made a purchase that didn't work for you, but I hope the learning experience gave you everything you need to help you move forward.
I have the same lights and yes they are as smooth as a mack truck over speedbumps. be that as it may, they are hung at the club and I am happy with them. I use these lights as fillers or as the background while the main lights wow the crowd. its hard to explain, its almost like painting ... you use them in certain positions to add to the big picture. I still use the luna 4's and they look great with the newer lights. really, its about how you use what you got, I think its safe to say that I have the best light shiw (club scene) in my valley. I have 12 different light shows that i change periodicly to keep the atmosphere constantly changing.
but hey, if you want to get rid of them, i already know where i can place them.

fyi... like i said before, you donot need the top of the line most recent coolest new way out lights that aare new in the market. with some imagination, and you could have something special.

let me know if anyone outhere has the charismas, lunas, dual gems, dj scans, reflex you might want to get rid of.
I wholly agree that you don't necessarily need latest and greatest to do a good light show. It really does come down to using what you have and knowing what you can do with it.

Older lights just need a litle extra care. Keep them clean, change their bulbs and they should last a lot longer. Of course regular maintenance is always a good idea no matter how old your fixtures are.

In my case, I am looking to buy stuff soon. I'm going with mainly recent fixtures. Not sure what exactly it will be that I get yet.

At the same time, there is an active used market for lighting. DJ's and clubs come and go all the time(mainly DJ's, but around here, all the stripper clubs are going under due to new laws, and their transition to non-stripper isn't going so well). Then again, sometimes people decided to sell of lights they don't use anymore. For someone just starting out, used gear in good and fully operating condition is a great way to save big money. Then, if you decide "not for me", you can sell it off as well and it's not quite a big deal. If you do decided to continue forward, again, you saved money.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.