Skip to main content

Ok, I bought two Scan 250's a couple weeks ago and used them at a show once. They worked great. Today I was running them at a friends teaching her how to use them so that she can run them at our next show, and after about 30 minutes, the mirror on one of the units stopped working correctly. The tilt became erratic, as if there was something caught in the motor. The mirror would only tilt halfway, and it was shaking. My setup is pretty simple.. DMX Operator > 25 ft DMX cable > Scan 250 #1 > 5 ft DMX cable > Scan 250 #2. No terminator. I tried just hooking it directly into the operator and running it alone, same problem.
So, I am going to the place I bought them tomorrow and will probally exchange it for another. But I'm posting this just to see if it is me being stupid about something. I'll check back before I leave. Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did a reset from the system menu, that didn't work. I don't know what "channel 7" is, so if you could help me out on that one, that'd be good. I know I should terminate lines, but I haven't been able to find one yet, but I don't think that is it because the other light works fine. I'm still pretty new to all this however, so I could be wrong. Thanks for the help.
In the channel assignments for the fixture, I noticed that channel 7 mentions RESET between values 96-97 or right around there.

As far as I know, something like that is designed for resetting the fixture remotely. For instance, my Mighty Scans have a reset value in the gobo channel, meaning that if I set that channel at a certain level, the fixture goes into a reset mode where it resets the color and gobo wheels and resets the mirrors, shutter, etc.

This is particularly helpful during a show if a fixture misinterprets data and goes askew.

I doubt DMX termination is the culprit, but it is a good idea for covering yourself later on. Dozens of places sell them, but you can always make one. All it takes it a little soldering work and you're set. The instructions are all over the internet.

If resetting the fixture doesn't fix it, and you've called tech support, I'd exchange it if it's still under warranty. Sometimes it's more worthwhile to get a fixture you know doesn't have a flaky history.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.