Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome wdup. Most problems I have heard with respect to reading cd-r's is not because of the player itself. Most issues are from burning the discs at fast speeds. To prevent reading errors always burn at speeds 4X or less.

Hope you enjoy your new gear. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
wdup,
The one big difference between the CDI's and the ProDJ series, is that the CDI's support allot more features. To do this they needed a high speed CD ROM drive, this drive reads ahead much faster, an unfortunate side effect is that the CDI's may pick up minor errors that a normal speed cd player won't.
When you burn CD's especially at higher speeds, you often times get "burn errors" they are usually minor, and won't be picked up by normal CD players. The high speed reading CD roms used in many of todays advanced players will hit that "bad spot" on the disk, and sometimes miss a big chunk of data due to a minor burn error. If you don't believe me, check some other forums from major manufacturers such as Den0ns, or Pio's you will see this brought up about some of their players as well. Since they use the same technique of using high speed CD or DVD rom drives so they can buffer the data fast enough so they can offer all of the advanced features.

BTW, in almost 2 years of having my CDI's I never had a read error. I also only use Mitsui Gold CDR's which are Hospital Archive Grade (the only ones trusted by hospitals for archiving) and at 4X sometimes 8X if I'm impatient lol.
Really the CDR's you currently use may work just fine, you'll never know until you try. Can you go to a local store that sells the CDI's with a couple of burned tracks and try them in a demo unit? Demo units are usually used pretty hard so you could be rest assured that if the demo will play your burns, a new one should have no problems.

Also as far as other CDR's. I have heard of good success with Sony and TDK's. But in reality neither of those companies make CDR's. There really is only a couple of companies that actually manufacture CDR's, they make them, throw a brand name on, and then they go to market. So the only issue with that is you may be using Sony's which work great, but then the next batch may not be so great, since they might be manufactured at a different company with different tolerances. Companies like TDK, Sony etc subcontract their CDR's to whoever will give them the lowest contract price.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.