Skip to main content

I'm currently looking into lighting and was wondering if someone could help me with a question. I'm new at the lighting bit and live out in the boonies so trying to find a place that has the light to check out has been difficult. What is the difference between the Punch LED Pro and the 64B LED Pro? Is there something I am missing about the 64B LED Pro that make it worth the extra investment?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The LED Par 64 and the LED Punch Pro are very similar. The Punch Pro is more of a "general wash" type fixture, designed to cover a larger area, but probably with a "weaker" overall wash. The LED Par 64's are more directional and focussed.

Personally, I am right now getting 8 of the black Par 64 Pro's. I may later on get the Punch Pro's as well to augment/replace my Color Fusions.
Here's my concept:

Most of my stages are SMALL with tight confines, say a 8-foot deep(maybe 6), and anywhere from 12-20-feet wide. So, I really don't have a lot of room to work. Cramming a whole band with 2 guitar, 2 keys, bass, full drums(oh please be acoustic!) and a lead vocalist or two(Depends on song), that's a lot to cram into a small location.

Use the Par 64 LED Pros to aim at musicians fronts, use the Punch Pros for back lighting from rear truss and for general washes over a larger area, such as a drum kit.

Since my musicians tend to stay put any my vocalists tend to not move around a whole lot, I can get away with that.

Should the "lead" need to wander, that's what follow-spots are for, and it wouldn't surprise me fo LED follow spots aren't too far behind.

Jingles, to me, the ADJ product demo videos just don't do much for me. They give me ideas, but not a real great A/B comparison. I think it's more tha nature of the product.

My statement still stands as far as I am concerned: Par 64 LED's are more of a focused wash(not much), and the Punch Pro's are a general wash(no real beam confinenment).

I'm going to just have to go all LED soon with DMX and forget about my older stuff. Greatly simplifiy set-up and tear down.
Stephen,

I have both and will agree with both Jingles and Chris. They are similary priced (so shop around, I got my far below MSRP)Chris is right on with the 64B Pro's focused and narrow. However the punch has no weakness what so ever. It rocks, lots of bright light that washes a larger area. Other than that I can tell you to go with the PRO versions of these ADJ lights, they have more features and are considerably brighter than the non-PRO versions.

Ric
Well, I just spend(or read: about to) my budget for the year, so until my next check comes, I'll have to wait for more. But 8 new Par 64 Pros will so be mine.

From what I've read, the Pro's are the way to go. Nice to see some better descritpion of the Punch Pro, you must own a set of each. I made my observation on how the fixture was put together. But people have to consider that you get what you pay for, and the Pro models cost more because they are brighter and have a more complete DMX feature set. In my opinion, it is worth it.

At the rate I am going, I'm looking for LED everything now. Should work for big shows and small shows. I'm getting all excited being able to light the heck out of a stage and dance floor and still have room left over on a 15-amp circuit.
Chris,

I have 8 64 PRO LED's and 2 Punch PRO LED's. I actually like the Punchs' a bit better than the 64B's. I had 8 non pro LED 64's and can tell you without a doubt the PRO versions are the way to go!!! More options and a lot brighter. Well worth the extra $$ i will tell ya that I got mine for only $50 more than the non-pro's. Now if I can just learn to contol all of them...

Ric
I almost forgot.... The most importand feature of the PRO versions (My opinion) is the LED sync feature. They will sync up with each other. Something the non-pro versions will not do. But I did try using my punch's to sync the non-pro 64 LED's and it worked. But I would still recommend spending the extra $ for the PRO's!

Ric
Wel, I need the more "focus throw" that the Par 64 Pros will give me, but I can see getting some Punch Pros down the line as well.

The sync function is neat. Can definately see potential for that as well.

Yeah, comparing price of Pro vs. non-Pro, when you look at things as a business, it makes sense to spend a little more and get a lot coming back at you.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.