Skip to main content

hey all! i am having problems with my performance scan 250! it is a little on the chilly side in my basement but it is not too cold! but when i turn on my light it goes through the self test mode and then i tap my black out button(disabling blackout) the lamp turns on and the mirror moves into postiion but the shutter does NOT open!!! then i looked through a screw for the mount i took out to see in it and the color wheel was scrolling through the colors counterclock wise, it should not have been! basically the only thing i can control is the pan/tilt and lamp on/off and that is it!!! colr wheel does not respond gobo wheel does not respond, shutter does not open nothin! i have also manually taken over the light and it still does not respond! only on the lamp on/off values and the whole 0-255 for pan and tilt!!! i have always used a terminator and i tried switching the dmx cables which are the mc-10 foot mic cables from adj and still nothin! anybody got any ideas??? i would ship it in but am unable to do so till after june 10th! any help is greatly appreaciated! thanks! jingles out! Mad p.s about the temp in my basement it was colder in the winter and it didn't act up at all!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

well i unhooked the dmx line and put the fixture on internal programs via the control panel on the unit. the mirror moves and the color wheel still keeps spinin! no light! i haven't tried sound active program yet but i figure it will do the same. is there any way a dmx line could cut your channels? cause all i can control is the 0-5 on my shutter channel and all of pan and tilt. anything else u can think of? so yes with and without a controller hooked up to it! thanks tech! p.s. just tried unhooking the line and put it on sound avtive. did the same! mirror moves no light and color wheel spinin! also last night i did a direct line directly form my controller to the light itself and still nothin! it looks like performy has to go to the doctor! let me know tech if u think of anything or if anybody else has somethin to say! PLEASE!!! post it here! thanks! jingles out!
I had something similar happen to me with my mighty scans, but I've been able to correct it via changing cables.

If the color wheel keeps spinning, that tells me that it is not sensing a stopper or position for it. Whether this is the cause, I don't know. It may just be a symptom of a larger issue - unless the color wheel must successfully 'test' upon startup before anything else can happen....

If the fixture wasn't under warranty, I'd recommend opening it up to have a peek inside, but since the warranty is still in tact, I'd just send it in.

You say the lamp strikes, but the shutter does not open?

A bad cable can do many bad things, but since the fixture acts up in stand-alone mode, it tells me something bigger is wrong with the fixture itself - not the cable.

When you re-addressed the fixture into sound active/stand alone mode, did you power it off first, then change the dip switches, and then power it back on?

Hav the light and controller been left plugged in while unattended? (surge?)

I'll keep thinking about it...
yep the lamp strikes but the shutter does not open! "When you re-addressed the fixture into sound active/stand alone mode, did you power it off first, then change the dip switches, and then power it back on?" i did not power it off but i will try that and get back to ya!
"Hav the light and controller been left plugged in while unattended? (surge?)" they have been plugged in but shut off via a power strip/surge protector. i first put the light in blackout state then i turn off the controller on the controller itself and then i turn off the power on the power strip. is that ok? thanks let me know what u think! jingles! p.s. i can't power it off then put in to internal programs when the power is off cause it has a led dmx display! do u mean unplug the dmx line and then shut it off then power back up and put into stand alone mode? i will try that!
ok this is really weird! i went to try what u said tech and i press a scnene button and it works!!! i don't know why or how! but it works! the weird thing is though i left it on with the lamp on for like 2-3 hours today while i was at work and then i had somebody shut it off over the phone! and now it works. the lamp was off and the controller but not the fixture itself just the lamp was off! what do u think! regardless once i get the money i will be sending it along with my cables to adj for testing! let me know tech! peace! jingles!
ok now this sucks Azz! i turned it off for a little bit just the bulb and controller the fixture itself was still on and now it is not working again!!! it is time to take it to the doctor! LOL! tech whatcha got for me any ideas? i tried turning it off and unplugging the dmx line and turned it back on and put it in the sound active and nothin! then i turned it back off still without a dmx line and put it in internal program run mode and still nothin and i also looked inside my lil peep hole i have and yes sure enough the wheel was a spinnin again! i must say this is not pleasing me at all. too much up's and down's for me! nothin against adj but this is troubling me! i think when i get the money i will def. send it in. but in the mean time u got any ideas tech? or anybody? thanks sincerely jingles! peace out! Mad p.s.s. i left the light on for an hour and it worked fine except i think the shutter was a little louder than normal when it strobes. but i put it in the internal program mode then i turned the controller on once it was done and put it back into dmx mode(did not unplug light)now it is stuck again! Mad Mad Mad
told ya! didn't i? yeah im hoping to either get them fixed by adj or in the meantime the weather improves a lil bit over here. cause i swear they work without problems when it is a nice and warm/hot day! i don't know why but they do! so weird! dj butter send me some pics man! lightech u got any more info?? thanks jingles out! p.s. i might try buying actual dmx cables this time! i ordered dmx cables but the guy sent me mic cables from adj as well. i didn't complain cause i figured oh well but maybe if i get some new cables it might improve! hopefully!
The cables can definitely play a role, but since the fixture is acting up when in stand-alone mode, I think the problem is the fixtuer itself. Whenever chaning modes, given the digital DMX display, I'd set it to stand-alone, then power it off, then turn it back on just to power cycle it, so it can reset anything if necessary.

Nice shielded and braided cable can help tremendously, particularly from preventing AC interference among other issues.

If there is any way for you to isolate the condition, correct it, and then duplicate the problematic condition, it should allow you to troubleshoot what may be causing the problem. Have you tried relocating the fixture to another part of the house? Outside? Upstairs? etc...

Given it should be working in all locations, a severe atmosphereic problem like dust, humidity, and sudden/drastic temperature changes could have adverse affects on your fixture.
It's really difficult to figure out without actually seeing the light in person.

Why not give Support a call on monday. That's what you always tell us... Smiler Maybe they can help you determine the cause better than we can, and if not, they can set you up for sending it in for service (given it's so new). Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
i could try bringing it up stairs for a while and see how that affects it. the reason it is downstairs is cause that is where my drums are! but it wasn't actin up at all and i had it for some really cold days during the winter here in WI. in that basement and some not so cold days in the basement. and yes i would've called adj support sooner but it didn't start doin this to me al the time till friday night! so im telling myself to call support the number is in the manual! lol! i will try a new location and possible new actual dmx cables! thanks lightech! peace out!
I've had this problem before with my Active Scans, except it was the gobo wheel that wouldn't reset. Here's what you need to do. Now first of all, if you are uncomfortable doing this, then don't do it...send the light in to American DJ.

Ok, what I found is...there are magnetic sensors that tell the light how to reset all the functions. The FX wheels line up with the magnetic sensors and stop. Once one completes itself, the light moves on to the next function in order to properly reset the fixture. Open up the light and plug it in. If the color wheel continues to rotate forever, that is why it can't reset the shutter or mirror and let the controller command the light to operate. It is still waiting for the color wheel to reset. Here's the part where you have to be careful, but again this is how I have fixed the problem before. Find out where the magnetic sensors are on both the color wheel and the fixture...meaning figure out where they line up to reset properly. When the wheel keeps turning, press down on the wheel to keep it from turning but line it up exactly with its correct sensor. After a few seconds the light should recognize that it has been lined up correctly and it will have "re-learned" how to reset the color wheel.

Now you all might think I'm crazy here, which is why if you don't think its a good idea, then DO NOT attempt to do this. Good luck with your light.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.