Skip to main content

If I set my colors with channels 1-3 and then use channel 5 to activate strobing, I find that the duty cycle for the lights on is very brief for most of the range 16-255. In other words, the strobe value changes the rate at which the light comes on but it's only on for a brief time (like a flash going off), e.g., it's off most of the time then flashes on at a rate controlled by the strobing value. At a value of 255 I get a very nice flash that I'm satisfied with, but at values less than 255 it doesn't seem too useful.

Perhaps this is the intended behavior but I'm questioning it because I also have some lights that appear very similar to these (Venue Lighting from Guitar Warehouse) and on those lights when I change the strobe value, the lights maintain a 50% duty cycle, e.g. on half the time, off half the time, but the rate is affected by the strobe value.

Are my lights behaving as they should?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have the 64 LED Pros, so I can at least be intelligent in talking to you about this.

Please explain whjat you mean by duty cycle. These lights do not have a duty cycle. A duty cycle is a period of usage followed by a period of rest/no usage.

You might want to adjust your dimmer channel since the strobe does operate off RGB and dimmer values. In my case, while I do use strobing, I'm not a BIG fan of strobes. There is one scene that I use in a show wher I slow strobe 4 lights in different colors and at different speeds.

Also, for your strobing,(I'm not looking at a manual so forgive me if I'm wrong), there should be another channel that should be controlling the rate of strobe unless your strobe range goes from slow to fast strobing with the range of it's functionality.
What I meant is something like this. Let's say the setting of the strobing channel (channel 5) which does set the rate of strobing provides a repetition cycle of 1 second. What I meant when I said duty cycle is how much the light is on relative to off, thus I'll get something like:

.9 seconds off
.1 seconds on
.9 seconds off
.1 seconds off
(repeats)

So what you get is the light mostly off with flashes every 1 second. To me this is like a strobe light so perhaps this is the intended effect.

To contrast this, the Venue Lighting light, which on the surface appears 100% identical, and the manual shares much of the verbage, does this with a 1 second cycle.

.5 seconds off
.5 seconds on
.5 seconds off
.5 seconds on
(repeats)

Let's say the cycle is 2 seconds, on the ADJ light I'd get

1.9 seconds off
.1 seconds on
1.9 seconds off
.1 seconds on
(repeats)

But the Venue would do:
1 second off
1 second on
1 second off
1 second on
(repeats)

Since I own both sets of lights, I was surprised how different they are.

Here's what my manual has. In my examples above I'm just using the RGB channels and changing channel 16 from 16 to 255 to change the rate. Channels 4 and 6 are set to 0.

Channel Value Function
1 0 - 255 RED 0% 100%
2 0 - 255 GREEN 0% 100%
3 0 - 255 BLUE 0% 100%

4 8 - 255 COLOR MACRO

5 0 - 15 NOTHING, 16 - 255 STROBING

6 0 - 31 NOTHING
DIMMING CONTROL
32 - 63 DIM -> BRIGHT
64 - 95 BRIGHT -> DIM
96 - 127 DIM -> BRIGHT -> DIM
128 - 159 COLOR MIXING
160 - 191 3 COLOR CHANGE
192 - 223 7 COLOR CHANGE
224 - 255 SOUND ACTIVE
No, that sounds about right, more or less. I think the think you're looking for or thinking of is a traditional strobe where the strobes are more evenly spaced out.

Slow strobe speeds are going to give you results more like what you just described, more or less.

On my 64 LED Pros, it's more event. On/off in e regular pattern. STROBE(flash once), then off, repeat, timing varies based on the speed I programmed or am using at the time. Is it doing that or is it "I'm gonna strobe for X amount of time, then rest for Y amount of time"? It can be hard to actually see this because our eyes can get confused very fast, and strobes will often do a soft overload on video cameras trying to adjust their iris to keep up(which they can't).

Seems to me the ADJ fixture is "normal", while the venue light would be something that I probably would find unusable. In my opinion, the strobe time should be "how long/short between strobe flashes", not "at what cycle do strobing and then do resting".

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.