Skip to main content

I am trying to address 4 P64 LEDs that we have. All the other ADJ lights came with a helpful addressing manual that seemed to work. Some thing like this.

Dip-switches in DMX mode: This unit uses dip switches to assign a
DMX address. Each dip switch represents a binary value.
Dip Switch 1 address equals 1
Dip Switch 2 address equals 2
Dip Switch 3 address equals 4
Dip Switch 4 address equals 8
Dip Switch 5 address equals 16
Dip Switch 6 address equals 32
Dip Switch 7 address equals 64
Dip Switch 8 address equals 128
Dip Switch 9 address equals 256
Dipswitches 10, 11, and 12 - Some units omit dipswitch 10, and most
units do not have dipswitches 11 and 12. When a unit does include

If these work the same then I have bigger problems.

Ideas?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

hey. I dont think it is possible to ha e bad channels on compu live. They are either being used or not. do you have anything addressed at these other channels? Go through your set up for me step by step including how many LEDs how many channels they use and how they are cabled. Also are you terminating the last fixture in the line?how long is your cable run? And are you using DMX cable and not mic cable? Let me know, sincerely,
OK, SO, here is what I have and what is happening.

Compu 2006 DMX controller in the back of house, cable run about 150' to stage right-5 LED Pars (DMX 90-120?)then 10' to front of stage through 4 LED Pars(250-270?)then 10' to stage left through 5 LED Pars (160-180?)...Finally 200-300' to the ceiling 2 ADJ Performance Scans through 2 fantasy's, then two more Performance Scans(27-50ish)

When I hook everything up the third set of LED Pars does a weird random flicker. Everything is addressed correctly...I have triple checked. If I end the chain after all the pars(before it runs to the ceiling), everything works great(except the fixtures on the ceiling, of course).

Yes I have a terminator on the last Performance Scan, No not mic cables (at least not on any run over 18 inches)

Again, any ideas???

Thanks!
I appreciate your response. How long is too long for a DMX run? Is there a way to test if my signal is not strong enough?

The last lights in the chain (performance scans and fantasys) work ok..just the LED Pars in the middle of the chain.

Sorry for more questions...as with almost everyone $$$ is always an issue. Want to avoid unnecessary spending if I can.
I routinely ran DMX down a 200-foot XLR cable(a pair in my whip) that went as follows:

Short XLR with right angle XLR plug OUT from my DMX operator(needed the clearance, had to go right angle) into a XLR M to 1/4" balanced. Into a patch panel, across a balanced patch cable into another patch panel, which in turn was loaded onto the whip. Hit channel 56 on the whip and on the stage box, a turn-around XLR cable I made for another application(since discontinued) and then onto more XLR cable for going to lights. Worked great.

No more. All DMX cabling. 200foot run right off the DMX Operator to NEAR the stage box, then tied in with additional DMX cabling.

Personally, it works, it works great and I like it. BUT, agreeing with Jingles, I personally also feel that "holy crap, I'm pushing this signal down a LOT of cable" and honestly, 100-foot is really my threshhold of pain where I'd want something in there. But, what I'm going to end up doing is getting an OptoSplitter at the stage side to break it out. I have follow spots and a front and back set of lights. Should clean up cabling issues as well.

Instead of a long serial run now, split yours up at logical points to avoid issues. And since the Optosplitter will basically clean up your DMX signal, that gives you a "fresh signal" to send out again.

Make sure you're using DMX cabling(please!!) and use a terminator. Sounds like you got this.

BTW: a lighting company I know uses a 350-foot cable for events. Never had a problem.

Sometimes we got to spend. I am already planning my next purchases, and lighting is in that budget, and yes, the optosplitter is probably gonna be in there as well.
quote:
Originally posted by CGBF:
I am trying to address 4 P64 LEDs that we have. All the other ADJ lights came with a helpful addressing manual that seemed to work. Some thing like this.

Dip-switches in DMX mode: This unit uses dip switches to assign a
DMX address. Each dip switch represents a binary value.
Dip Switch 1 address equals 1
Dip Switch 2 address equals 2
Dip Switch 3 address equals 4
Dip Switch 4 address equals 8
Dip Switch 5 address equals 16
Dip Switch 6 address equals 32
Dip Switch 7 address equals 64
Dip Switch 8 address equals 128
Dip Switch 9 address equals 256
Dipswitches 10, 11, and 12 - Some units omit dipswitch 10, and most
units do not have dipswitches 11 and 12. When a unit does include

If these work the same then I have bigger problems.

Ideas?

Just wondering about this as well. If dipswitch #1 is used to determine DMX mode- how would one address the fixture? Is it 2-9 and ignoring 10?
It really depends on the light itself what the DIP switches mean.

Looking at my Color Fusions, DIP 1 and 10 UP are Master mode, while the slaves also use DIP 1 up but DIP 10 down, and using switches 3 and 4 for identifying which head they are to the slave.
At the same time, in DMX mode, DIP 1 does indicate 0/1, thus signifying even/odd numbers in DMX addressing.

Other lights, there is a clear "DMX mode toggle) switch.

There is no rule or standard, although in an analog-type addressing(using DIP switches), switches 1-9 are typically used for addressing and with the same values.

It is necessary to read your owner's manuals. It is also necessary to perhaps print the entire manual or pages and keep them with you in what I call a "show binder". This binder contains any elements I consider "critical" for any gear I have. Since audio is more "standardized", I don't find myself needing much literature for my audio rig outside my RTA and console, just for safety. With lights, I carry the pages for all my fixtures that pertain to addressing, DMX charts and a few other things. I also keep a few pages of instruction for my DMX Operator in regards to programming mode. But, if you want to make your own cheat sheets to carry around, that would be great too. In fact, since you wrote it yourself, it would serve two purposes: hammer it into your head mode AND provide reference. Personally, having that reference handy is what I need. I got a lot of stuff to deal with at shows and the less I have to memorize, the better.

Just read your manuals. Most of the time they'll tell you everything you need to know. Often, the stuff left out of manuals is the stuff you learn by using your fixtures.
I totally don't get this address thing.. Maybe someone can help me out. I have 8 Par64 LED and Elation DMX.. I hook it all up.. I addressed as Dip1, Dip2, Dip1&2, Dip3. for 4 Par64LED cans.. would this be how to use 4 cans? the 1st light just goes crazy. does what it wants with all buttons OFF and sliders down on controller.. I'm totally lost?
Just a note for privacy purposes:

Don't post your phone numbers. I advise this because spammers are scraping and harvesting any information and then selling it off. Also, some bill collectors will use such information to harrass you and others. Got a funny story about that, but I won't share.

Seriously, a feature of this site is that you can email easily, but you have to make an extra step. Protects against spammers abusing this. Notice how Jingles uses an easy to read munging of his email, yet it's easily human readable?

Same with phone numbers. Save it for email. Mine is different. Mine is business and my life. I need my phone number out there.

You need help. Fine. Get help. Just think "privacy protection" as well. Too many dirtballs making life hell for the rest of us these days.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.