Skip to main content

Red and Green is nice,
but why are most lasers these same colors?

i own Galaxian 3D, love it as i chose it over the Chavet which is also red/green

was going to pick up micro galaxian, cuz it's so cute :-)
but again, it too is red and green,

ADJ, please come out with new Galaxian 3D
with 2 DIFFERENT colors..not red/green

how about:
Blue/White (my personal choice)
Purple/White
Blue/Yellow
Purple/Yellow

i think it would sell TONS,
anyone else agree?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

White lasers are, unfortunately, an impossibility. Visible lasers emit a very narrow wave length of the color spectrum and that is it. White light, by definition, is every color in the spectrum combined. There are RGB lasers, but like LED RGB, they really don't make white so much as a shade of pale blue.

The closest I have seen had 6 different laser wave lengths joined together. It wasn't very powerful because off all the refracting done and was still more of a pale pink then a white.
musicle,

Serra is right with what he says. Most of the high power lasers on the market that project full color will consist of red, green, and blue laser diodes. By modifying the power and wavelength of each laser, we can adjust how the colors mix. For instance shooting red and green at the same time will make yellow, however if your green diode is 100mW and your red is 100mW, the yellow will be basically lime-green because the color green (at 532nm) will appear much brighter than a comparably powerful red. Likewise, if you use a 405nm 'blue' diode instead of a more primary 455nm, all your blue mixes like cyan and violet will look dark and harsh. Ultimately, when you mix the red, green, and blue diodes you should get white, but like LEDs, this doesn't really happen in practice. To even get close to a blended white you really have to tinker with the projector's power and source wavelengths (by changing out the physical diodes). Something more for a hobbyist or professional laserist to play with, not so much for a weekend DJ. Aside from driving the price of this laser well out of what I think ADJ would want to ask. Not to break rules and bring up prices here, but I have yet to see a LEGAL full color laser with even 10kpps glavo scanning that's not in the four digit price range. And of course you'd most likely need an FDA variance to even use it at a gig, unless ADJ can somehow work it into the Class IIIR bracket.

In regards to youtube videos, you really can't trust them. Lasers act weird on video. Sometimes lasers look shaky or choppy on video due to the laser's scan speed. Oftentimes the colors aren't completely accurate either. I've seen a video of a green laser that looked white! These are things you really just have to see in person.

Hope this clears some things up!
Low light situation will throw off the white balance of even the best cameras quite easily. Its why camera's have a white balance. I can make blue or orange look white on camera if I balance it to that. A common trick I use in fact is setting the camera to 3200k source and CTB'ing my lamps from 3200k to 4100k (or more simply, using an R60). It gives a nice glow on camera but looks slightly cool to the eye. This is a great example I can give:

Above is a shot of the show I am currently working (Don't worry Jim, I will post some more photos for you Big Grin). The stage is lit by four 19 degree 575w Source Four Lekos and two 575w S4 Wide Pars for backlight, all gelled R60. The backround is a bunch of Colorblaze 48s, with the banner in the middle on LED white and the sides lit in a medium blue. The ship on SR has two 10 degree 575w S4 lekos on it. The room and ship looks slightly amber because they are 2800k (room) and 3200k (lekos). My camera thinks the stage is white despite the presenter looking slightly blue to my eyes and the room a lot less amber. The projector looks even more blue because the camera at back of house is absorbing a lot of the LED white (aka slightly blue) from the banner behind it.

The camera was most likely set to auto white balance and kept changing depending on the colors in the picture. That laser, most likely, would have been more pink in hue if you saw it with your own eyes. Note the color at 44s in the video. With the red in the picture, that white looks pale pink/lavender rather then white. Also note the massive setup required to do that and amount of lasers required.
thanks for that...

come on ADJ
release them new lasers already :-)

why not put them (advertise) on your web NOW?

i mean if one needs a RGB laser and goto to your website searching they will see nothing even though they will release soon,
and one will goto your competitors website, which do have em...

just a thought

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.