Skip to main content

Hi All, I'm writing this literally from the North Pole, at a place called ALERT. As part of the Canadian Military, we operate a remote SIGINT collection site, on the Northern tip of Ellesmere Island (go ahead and check your atlas...).

Anyway... We operate a non-profit bar/nightclub with a dance floor (20'x 30', 10' suspended ceiling) for the 70+ residents here (150 in the summer).
Currently we have a Vertigo (with 2 blown bulbs...),a 12" Mirror Ball, and a pair of pinspots.
Needless to say, not very welcoming.

It has been suggested that we improve our lightshow, and have allocated $3,000-4,000US to the project. I've got an image in mind, but I'm open to any ideas on actual products that those with experience might have.

I envision a basic DMX controller to control it all, with the ability to create scenes. This system will be operated by anyone with a desire to spin a few tracks, so it must be EASY to use, with little training once set up.

For lights and effects:
Black light ( uv cannon??)
rope lighting for the circumference
chasing pinspots
a centerpiece of some sort
a few sound activated hightech effects (agressor?)
a laser effect
a haze generator

Would this be overkill for an area of this size?

I'm open to any and all ideas, even if they don't reflect my vision. Basicly, if this was your setup, what would you do??

Thanks in advance.

Cpl Daryl Horniak
LM Tech
CFS Alert
Nunavut, Canada
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
For lights and effects:
Black light ( uv cannon??)
rope lighting for the circumference
chasing pinspots
a centerpiece of some sort
a few sound activated hightech effects (agressor?)
a laser effect
a haze generator

really that not a single bit of overkill...

UV cannon is a great BlackLight but is extremely heavy and big.

chasing ropelights are for some reason used commonly these days in nighclubs...just make sure you have a controller for that.

On the pinspots it depends on where you are pointing them towards.

I would reccomend the Epsilon or Raider for a center piece or the new Blade light

Well the luna4, fab4, or the Saturn4 are great high tech FX. or the Tempest Series lights.

The best two lasers that ADJ have are the Emrald Beam & the Emarald Star.

Not to big in to hazers but this is the best that i can do with those things... is the Volcano it has ETS on it so it'll never quit once plugged in. (10 ft. cable with controller)

hope this helps.
I would use the Tempest ll AS. ,4ft black lights 4 minimum(less heat) 2 Color 150's linked for the mirror ball, 2 Centurion's also linked. I used to do installs for clubs and this would be a easy to operate lightshow that would impress. Also the Haze machine could be used. For simplicity I would control all this with the Light copilot and three different power packs . Make sure each power pack is hooked up to a different power circuit. This would allow you to slowly chase the different effects and for added pizzaz to turn them all on once in a while.
I would go with supports idea of the tempest, color 150s on the mirror ball (cool effect!!!), but I would also look into the luna 4 system, and the simple scan system...

also...you might want to look into instead of getting all that, just the mirror ball with color changers, and the Mini C Remote, and you can probably find a Mighty Scan system for 3 grand (I think...) where you would get 4 programs build into the automate controler...

__
Actually I think the tempest can be controoled by another Mini C as well
HEY! I know where Alert is, they had it on Forbidden Places on the Discovery channel. Razzer

I suggest, a few of the normal 48 inch black lights.
A Tempest for centerpiece.
A Millenium, and a Electra II.
I don't like the cheaper laser effects, I prefer the lasers from Mobo***er, or the more expensive lasers from ADJ, but they cost a whole lot. So for now I would suggest leaving out a laser for now.
A Fog Storm 1200 fogger.
My suggestion is a ultra scan package and a tempest II for a centerpiece. Spend the rest on par cans or cheap color changers to add some color fill. Also a fogger is neccesicary

The prices listed above are alittle high. The ultra scan package cna be bough for $1800 and teh tempest $750-$700 not sure. And then the rest (about $450) you should buy a controller and or color fill such as par cans or a few cheap color changers.

E-mail me if any questions about the pricing Wink
ryan@soundwavedj.net
i agree with dj sound, some of the prices out there are a little high, i picked up a new mighty scan sytem with controller for 1750

as far as amdj lasers...they are ****..sorry, but they just aren't bright enough, if you start bumping up your greens to around 50-100mw then your talking.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.