Skip to main content

sup everyone, im new to the forum but ive been reading the posts and they are great.

Ive had my mighty scans for about a year and i love them, I run them off the dmx opereator, and i jus ordered a dj scan 250 to see if its worth it to buy more of them, I jus need to kno what to set the dip switches to, the dj scan would be the 3rd light on the chain, can anyone help me out

thanks alot
KC
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For the DMX Operator you need to address each fixture in increments of 16 channels starting with 1. So the first fixture should be addressed to channel 1, so dip switch number 1 should be on all others off. For fixture 2 you need to address it to channel 17, so dip switches 1 and 5 should be turned on all others off. For fixture 3, you need to address it to channel 33, dip switches 1 and 6 should be turned on all others off. For fixture 4, should be addressed to channel 49 which is dip switches 1, 5, 6 turned on all others off. Hope this helps.
Please note these setting i've provided you with are to establish control of each light through the dmx operator control board. You can not link djscan's to mighty scans through daisy chaining, the effects created will not be the way they are supposed to. Only "like" fixtures can be linked together to operate without a controller. Also, in regards to dmx lighting the number of the fixture in the line has no meaning for example if i have four lights all hooked up to a dmx line the last light that is plugged in does not mean it is fixture number four, the fourth light can be assigned to be fixture number 1, or the 2nd fixture on the line can be assigned to be fixture number 4. The physical location of where the unit is linked up means nothing in dmx lighting it's all about what everything is addressed at. -Mike
quote:
Please note these setting i've provided you with are to establish control of each light through the dmx operator control board. You can not link djscan's to mighty scans through daisy chaining, the effects created will not be the way they are supposed to. Only "like" fixtures can be linked together to operate without a controller.
Well I got board the other night, so I was playin with my lights and I daisy chained the Mightyscans to the Djscans with no dmx controler except the mini/c blackout controler and i used a djscan as the master and the mightys reacted to it, it was interesting to watch, the mightys actually looked better with the djscans built in programs than with its own (mighty scan has horible built in programs),The mighty scan was just doing random movements but it still looked nice ,the mighty scans even blacked out with the dj scan blackout controler (only thing is is that the mightys blacked out with the shutter with the bulb still on and the dj scans bulbs shut off)

Just sharing some thoughts, anyone who thought they couldnt daisy chain 2 different lights together, you can!

KC
As for the blackout part. With a controller, you can specify whether or not a fixture turns the bulb off or closes the shutter.

Closing the shutter is actually the best option because it puts less wear and tear on the bulb. The only times to turn the bulb off is when 1. you won't be using the light for a lengthy part of the show or 2. before you power them down you should leave the bulb off so the unit can cool down (fan still running) before moving it. Having the bulb switched on and 'primed' also gives you the best light out of the fixture through the colors and gobos. Everything has a chance to warm up for movements, etc. You'll get nice even color from the moment you open the shutter, assuming you gave it enough time to get set.

Plus utilizing the shutter allows you to accomplish 'clean' moves with the lights, meaning setting a scene up in the dark and the opening the shutter to reveal it. That way you don't see the color and gobo wheels spinning furiously all over the place to set up the next scene (this is particularly helpful when you need a color and gobo that are on the opposite sides of the wheels).

Best,
-Tech

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.