Skip to main content

Ok so i decided to search for all vids on namm 2009 and i came across one that caught my attention and well so should the R&D guys for ADJ.
This vid has both ADJ and chauvet lights, now the interesting part is what chauvet has as a prototype which is well basically an X-move2 id say....same 20watt LED source but features that i think a few of us have been askin for such as rotating gobos and a prism.But enough with the talkin heres the link and please post your thoughts on this.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=...ww.djnn.com/namm.htm
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, let me put my 2-cents in based on my experience comparing "apples to apples" between the 2 companies you mention:

Let's say it's a COlor Changer 250 vs and Intimidator Color. The Cha.... is cheaper and has more colors. And it breaks bulbs in transit, transport and just plain goes through bulbs. The ADJ equivalent has fewer colors, costs $20 more, and works better. yeah, more colors would be nice.

Forget it.

I'm sticking with ADJ regardless. What do I get for my money? Better customer service, better quality components. Parts, help. That's where my money is going.

Also, let's face it, many of the fixtures are OEM'ed by the same company, and probably shipped to ADJ and Cha.... raw, ready for custom silk-screening, branding and custom chip sets. Case and point(uh oh): cracking open the back of a DP-DMX20L and a Cha.... 4 channel dimmer pack: same dimensions, and SAME internal guts using the SAME internal design, specs, and components. Coincidence? Not likely. BUt who has the better paint? ADJ. It's more muted while the Cha..... is SILVER. I want "blend or become invisisble" The Cha..... paint is THICK so scratches get nasty fast. And it costs like HALF what the ADJ one costs, BUT: uses an IEC connection instead of a hard-wired cable. That was the ONLY difference. If ADJ could send me(or sell me) updated chips for my 3 older DP-DMX20L, I'd appreciate and use the new per channel switching feature!
Don't get me wrong i love ADJ, just puttin it out there whats new and up coming and what to expect.....another vid i just saw showed in the back ground what looked to be a TRI mace which looked pretty damn sweet..but judge for yourself.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFUNI9opSQ . also the new fusion series looks like it will be a killer rig to build up on.I'm hoping these new fixtures will be out before i renovate a local club here.
I'm sure ADJ has something in the works. I've been getting the Chauvet catalog and the ADJ DVD and catalog for the past few years now. I notice that the Chauvet and ADJ lines have so many similarities, that I know for a fact that the base for most of these fixtures is coming from the same plants, which Chauvet and ADJ putting in different DMX chipsets, different gobo and color wheels and maybe other nifty things like gobo spin(shake is just a change/move function) and number of gobos and colors.

I bet given a bit more time, ADJ will release a similar if not better fixture, or as a minumum, same quality.

Here's another thought:
We all like to shop by dollar, especially when we have the knowledge and skills to use a fixture. And this does make sense, we don't need to just spend like mad. But, some of us don't. Now, I do have the skill to use the lights. I also lack the creativity at the moment of a rgular lighting designer because my skill-set is based around audio, which is an art unto itself. That's not to say my lighting design is getting better, it is, but it's not able to progress as I'd like because I never get help setting lights and audio is the priority. I make do.

But here is a key reason why it makes sense to stick with one brand: Support. One point of contact, one support base.

Different companies have different release schedules. They all try to one-up each other, only to have it taken away by the other company a little while later, only to have the process repeat. They flip-flop. It's an ongoing circle of marketing "one-upsmanship".

When it comes down to it, both ADJ and Chauvet do make quality fixtures aimed at a the low/mid and DJ market. And sometimes, for whatever reason, one company may not make a fixture that you need/want/can't live without and so you have to jump ship and break away. That's life.

My experiences with Chauvet hasn't been as comforting as with ADJ. So, while I'm no giving up and trashing my Chauvet fixtures, I've chosen instead to stick with ADJ. Yes, sometimes ADJ can cost more, but rarely never a huge amount more, maybe a $25 price difference, generally enough to be absorbed. Also, since my "needs" for lighting are rarely ever urgent, I can afford to wait for ADJ to release their lights.

I am not some small timer. I've estimated my investment to be well over a quarter million dollars in hardware, and that number keeps growing. So, I'm not some nobody with a box of stuff in the back of my pick-up truck and trying to "just get by". But that's the difference between a professional and a weekender as well. But my focus is on live-sound production, so my investment is going to be MUCH MORE than that of a DJ, mainly since a DJ's requirements are not as extensive.

I also think it's good to let people see what the other companies are working on, even if it is a competing brand. Marketting people need to hear what WE, as their customers, have to say. Sometimes they take a chance on new innovative lights, hoping we can find an application for it, or some of us will run out and get the "latest and greatest new cool light". This is good, because sometimes just having something different makes you stick out in a good way. But sometimes ADJ has to look at existing lights and sometimes re-engineer them or improve or upgrade them.

Yeah, I definately hear you. Hoping things will be out before you do an install job. That's never a fun waiting game to play. I'd get yourself on the phone ASAP and get schedules and find out more information.

Thank goodness DMX-512 is a universal protocol. Sure makes life easier and lets us mix and match brands. Of course, that's the whole purpose of such standards!
Yea the waiting game sucks, but when i've got 2 clubs lookin to upgrade and one wanting to spend 10K....basically im takin everything of theirs down which are geni mojo scanners and replacing everything with LED. now the 2nd club i get to spread my wings a bit ive got a budget of 100K so theres gonna be some elation products in there. Being a dealer i get heads up when my supplier does, be it bein in canada we tend to get all adj gear later but what can you do.

I have always noticed that ADJ always out does chauvet in the end in one way or another. ANd yea thank god for dmx 512 with out that coudl u imagine all the color organs and chasers haha. I'll be takin before and after pics of these jobs and postin them up here. maybe get a few suggestions from you guys.
One thing I'd warn about "right off the production line new fixtures" is that they may have issues. Not saying a bad thing, but perhaps not fully tested in a real world environment or not fully documented. It's always best to let a few others take the plunge and then chat up about them.

One thing to consider about trade shows:
Sometimes products aren't ready for production yet that they show. Let's not forget Nintendo and their vaporware that has gone with darn near every console they've ever made. And Allen & Heath didn't have their iLive ready for over a year from when they debuted it at AES. But I am leaning more towards a DigiDesign Venue system for better rider friendliness and tie ins to ProTools. I just happen to like the iLive mindset better. That is, unless I could afford a Midas XL8

The video previews sure are a help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.