Skip to main content

I urgently need a computerized lighting console, and I have worked with myDMX 2.0 before. However, I have never owned a dongle, I have always borrowed one from the venue.

I was recently considering purchasing a myDMX Buddy, however I was distraught at the fact that it is advertised as not having MIDI capability right out of the box.

I have designed all of my shows to be run off a Launchpad, and I would be upset to purchase this device and then learn that I cannot do that anymore.

If a MIDI upgrade is necessary, I will gladly pay for it, as long as it is available. I definitely do not have the budget to purchase the myDMX 2.0 main dongle as I work for a non-profit organization.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi, there will be a Web-store for the upgrades for the MyDMX buddy. It is currently down, but we have been giving the link to people who want to test the store for us. you can buy a MyDMX buddy for under 100 bucks and then in the store the yearly full version subscription is about 50 dollars, so you should be well under the below 299 cost of the full version. Just note that the MyDMX buddy only gives you 256 DMX channels, but you can purchase more for another fee as-well. Ask me again in a few days for the link and if it's working I have no problem sending it to you, but you'll need to have a MyDMX buddy first.
You can purchase a lifetime upgrade but it is about $199 dollars. And yes 50 bucks for one year of the full version. Which really isn't a bad deal at all. But at minimum you'll need the full version to get midi support so the two price options for you without any added channels or stand alone channels is 50 or 199 plus cost of the buddy which is under 100 bucks.
Hope that helps explain it. If you have any questions please let me know or email me. Jamesk at amwricandj dot com.
Last edited by Jingles
So, I just purchased a Buddy, and have run into a small problem. I used to be able to run Ableton and myDMX simultaneously from one Launchpad. However, whenever I have Ableton running, then start myDMX, I get an error message and am unable to use the Launchpad with myDMX:

"RtMidiIn:Red FacepenPort: error creating Windows MM MIDI input port."

It seems that I can only have one of the two talking to my Launchpad at one time, with Ableton taking priority. If I start myDMX first, Ableton just takes control and steals the MIDI port from myDMX. I am using Windows 10, so there may have been a few changes in the operating system that are conflicting with your MIDI code. Is there a workaround that you are aware of? Thanks!
to the very best of my knowledge, I had thought MyDMX 2.0 only supported one midi device/signal.

Also the MyDMX buddy by default, does not offer midi support, it only offers midi support after you purchase the upgrade full version in the webstore. Have you done that? It's not fully ready for worldwide debut but some users we have had try it for us. Let me know.
So I've got a relatively big problem. I need the dongle for a show from Monday-Sunday, and I can't get it to work. It is not sending out a DMX signal as I believe the chip is fried. Is there a way to get a speedy replacement without paying an exorbitant price?

At this point I don't really care about the upgrade, as it is not necessary for this show.
Last edited by lonewolf
Lonewolf, did you use ableton to run your lights from a midi track? Or just use the launchpad. Can get to work from the lanchpad mini have bought but would really like to automate the show with a midi track, but cant figure it out at moment, sure more my knowledge of ableton than anything.

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
So, I just purchased a Buddy, and have run into a small problem. I used to be able to run Ableton and myDMX simultaneously from one Launchpad. However, whenever I have Ableton running, then start myDMX, I get an error message and am unable to use the Launchpad with myDMX:

It seems that I can only have one of the two talking to my Launchpad at one time, with Ableton taking priority. If I start myDMX first, Ableton just takes control and steals the MIDI port from myDMX. I am using Windows 10, so there may have been a few changes in the operating system that are conflicting with your MIDI code. Is there a workaround that you are aware of? Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Traynor:
Lonewolf, did you use ableton to run your lights from a midi track? Or just use the launchpad. Can get to work from the lanchpad mini have bought but would really like to automate the show with a midi track, but cant figure it out at moment, sure more my knowledge of ableton than anything.

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Sorry for the ridiculously late post, but yes, I was once able to get the thing to light up AND trigger scenes in MyDMX. However, it just worked when I started the programs, and it doesn't work anymore. I've spent at least 50 hours trying to figure out a solution.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.