Skip to main content

Ok, here goes. This question may have come up before but I cannot find it. Sorry for re-visiting if that is the case.

I have just converted my Star Cloth to DMX from manual control and now need to add it to my set. Problem 1 is that the controller is fixed to DMX channels 1-4.
Problem 2 is that I already have a PAR64 (1st of 4) starting at channel 1.

I therefore need to move the 4 PAR64s up the channel list to make room for the Star Cloth controller.

Thankfully, there is a gap between the PAR64s and the next fixtures so they are the only units which need moving.

OK, I can just shift them up the list, but this is where the problem raises its ugly head - The programmed steps in my chases DO NOT get re-addressed with the fixture profiles. They stay put. Not good.

My question therefore is:

Is there a way of moving the fixtures which will also update the fixture step data or will I need to re-program every god-damn step in my chases to make room for this new item?

I have tried to examine the saved data file but it just shows as garbage in a text editor so I cannot even manipulate the data outwith MyDMX.
That could be a nice little project for our home programmers out there.........

You comments and help would be very helpful and appreciated, but I think I already know what the answer will be...... Frowner
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sucks that fixtures would only allow themselves to use only a certain set of addresses.

I can see your frustration and I see that as a valid point. People such as yourself or myself may buy lights, which then due to the logistics of addressing, may require additional movements of other existing fixtures to get the new ones into the universe.

I think this may be a reasonable feature request. Before you dive in too deep, are you using the latest MyDMX from the web site?

I may try this out later as I can save as my show and then tweak it a bit and see what happens.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I never realised that a further update had been released. Just installing on test machine now.

Unfortunately, the addressing is fixed on the Star Cloth because it was not actually meant to be used in this way. I have mod'ed the unit with instructions from the manufacturer as it uses DMX internally, hence why it is fixed addressing. You can see the mod on YouTube.

I will have a play with it over the weekend.

I agree with you that this issue should not have even arisen. The authors must have know that someone would like to shift addressing at some point in their set build and design. But they probably though everyone one was perfect so it was not required?!?!?

Regards,
It is one of those higher end things. My Hog doesn't think of fixtures as addresses(aka a set of numbers), it thinks of fixtures as fixtures and doesn't care what the address is. I can program massive shows and re-address everything and the Hog will line everything up automatically.

It is much easier to code for fixtures being addresses instead of fixtures being fixtures. If you don't code right, you can cause problems/crashes real quick. There are also a lot more variables as well that can cause even more issues. This basically means a lot more R&D as well as trail/beta time before you can make a product. Simply put, it comes back to the same old saying that seems to keep popping up, you get what you pay for.
Well, not MyDMX's fault really this one, is it. I have to be fair.

This is, I suppose, a non-issue as under normal circumstances, the fixture will be re-addressable. Its purely down to the fact that this one item is fixed to addresses 1-4 and cannot be changed.

It would have been nice to be able to move fixtures about though. We are considering adding some more fixtures the same as we currently have for the set, but there is no space to insert the 22 channels needed between the existing fixtures and the next types in the set, so they will have to be placed further up the list, making programming just a tad more awkward.

I still, therefore (and I think Chris will back me on this), think that this is something that should be added.

Thanks all for your input on this one.

Regards.
This seems like a relatively rare issue. A part of a lighting designers/Programmer is to plot out your addresses before you start programming and stick with it. Who's ever heard of a fixture that can only use channels 1-4 on a dmx universe? Isn't there a way to e mod he fixture to work at higher address numbers?
Sincerely,
There are oddity fixtures out there that have fixed addresses. They are few and far between, but they are out there.

Again, its not a MyDMX or any other controller's issue so much as a fixture/designer issue. If you design a show that has those type of fixtures, you must be ready for those types of issues. If you don't want to deal with those types of issues, then design the show with different fixtures.

Some days I design a show with all Martin fixtures, others all Vari-Lite fixtures, and others still with all Elation fixtures. It is ultimately a preference, cost, and what I need out of the fixtures that determine what I use. Mostly preference, but I can fit custom gobos from a Mac 2k into a VL3500 or visa versa, which is a what I need instance. The cost instance is bang for the buck, which Elation absolutely rules right now.
Couple of issues here:

Firstly, the item in question which has raised this post was not initially designed to be used in the DMX chain. It uses a manual hand controller which happens to use the DMX protocol. There are no XLRs on the unit so what I have done is implement a simple mod to be able to link it into the DMX chain. As it was not designed to be part of that chain, there was no need to implement variable addressing, hence the addresses been fixed at 1-4.

Secondly, as this mod was only discovered in the past week, the set designs were already in place and programmed, so it was not an error on the designers (myself) part.

So, what you are telling me is that there is never a circumstance where a set has needed to be changed to add in or clean up a set layout in this type of program?

Ah well, shit happens I suppose.
'Stuff' does happen. However, being a designer and knowing this, I leave myself room. For example, you could have started all your fixtures at address 101 and left the first 100 channels of DMX for additions. I do this with consoles with one universe a lot because last minute things can quickly be added. For bigger consoles, I would get around it by just putting it into another universe or the Hog again just doesn't care.

I rarely use all 4 universes at once on the Hog, and even the it is to save on cabling and not so much that I need 2048 channels of DMX. There have been a few times where I have brought in another DP8000 (processor for the Hog which adds 4 more universes) again just for cable saving. One Cat5 to back of house gets me 4 universes back there and 4 out front then.

I guess it isn't really a designer should know as much as designer experience in this case. When I design, I know what the set is, I spec the fixtures, console, do the patching, spec all the cabling, etc. Within all that however, I leave room for changes and/or additions based on what I am using/doing.
Don't have to tell me lol. I am sitting in the convention center in Philly right now starting at a 32 channel Midas with 8 box a side line array and a 10 pack of UHF-R for a deaf interpreters convention. They literally are signing everything and not using the PA at all. I have no idea as to why I am even here, lol.
Since I am bored, here are a couple of photos.

Here is my view from front of house. Yes, those screens are massive (25'x15' with 2 10k projectors stacked and merged on each).

And this is what 15,000 watts of line array looks and sounds, literally, like for a deaf interpreters convention.
Thanks. This is actually a smaller set up believe it or not. We only have the flown double 15" subs here instead of the ground stack double 18s (client wanted everything in the air). Likewise, it is talking head so I really don't get to have any fun.

As for the empty seats, it is just a breakout session right now. Last night and again to night, everyone will be filled.
Getting back on topic:

There are always multiple choices when adding lights.

First, since MyDMX apparently has some new issues we need to address/resolve:

PLAN AHEAD. There is no valid reason to bunch fixtures right on top of each other with no space between them. In my case, I have my fixtures addressed to be compatible with my DMX Operator in the event I need to fail-over.

Logical assignment: While this one doesn't apply to me, SerraAva provides a great example of how he assigns lights. Go find it elsewhere ehre. While it doens't work for me, it may work for you, or at least a variant of it may work for you.

Duplicating addresses: No sense in burning addresses if you don't have to. If you don't need such control, double up, triple up, whatever.

Didn't leave space? Add to the end. Ain't that hard.

The thing I am getting at is that even though I am a sound guy and not a lighting guy, I have enough experience and knowledge to know how to use some vision and plan ahead. In my current MyDMX universe, I'm happy with how things are. When I get some LED wash bars, even though it may make more logical sense to stick them near the 64 LED pros, I'm going to throw them at the end of where I need to place things. If I add more 64 LED pros, I'll double up. If I add more wash bars, I may add on or double up on addresses.
Thank you all who have repeated said that planning ahead is the key. After 23 years in this industry, I am now being told something I already have learned time after time. Thanks.

Everyone seems to be missing the point here. How the fxxx could I plan that something would come along six months after initial set design which would have FIXED ADRESSING.
I doubt there is an LD out there who could foresee and plan for that to happen.

I, like you chris, am not an LD, but a very experienced DJ with many years of DMX programming behind me. I am new to the software variant of control, but the basics are common no matter what kit you use.

This issue will probably never arise again in my remaining years on this planet (many may they be) but it has happened and I need to fix it.

I am pretty fed up now with this to the point that I am considering saying stuff this program. If I am going to have to sit and reprogram the set, I am going to move to something else instead. I am hacked off with the number of basic features which are missing from MyDMX and the fact that development has ceased so we keep getting told.

Freestyler & Entec, here I come.
Well let's look at the facts now shall we?
Facts: You already have a show programmed and addressed and working. You added a fixture that can only be addressed at the very first address on a dmx universe. Now you want to move your existing fixtures to a new address to make room for the fixture. Now you have to re program your show to allow programming for your new fixture. This is something you WILL have to do whether it be my dmx, compu live, DMX operator, Magic 260, Show designer, Chauvet board, Etc ANY other dmx controller and you would still need to do the same exact thing which is RE PROGRAM. So if you leave my dmx and go buy freestyler or Entec guess what? Your still gonna have to re program your show.
Now I understand none of us could foresee the need to have to reprogram a entire show just to fit a fixture in that will only work on a certain set of channels. So while I can understand your frustrations however they seem to be misplaced. This is not a fault of my dmx this is a fault of that fixture that will only work on dmx address 1. So let me say I hope you will decide to remain a my dmx user. but if not I understand and that choice is completely up to you.
Sincerely,
Personally, having fixtures that only work on certain addresses shows me poor implementation of DMX into the fixture, which would also indicate to me that this company may have other issues with "the universes, both DMX and actual", making mandates and demands that are clearly a product of non-forward thinking on the part of the company making the fixtures.

Now, could I fault MyDMX for having some limitations? SerraAva brings about a good point which I did respond to, but as happens many times, my wireless connectivity decides to take the big pooper on me right as I click "post now" and it chucks those bits right on the floor. His Hog consoles tend to associate instructions to FIXTURES, not to channels. The fixtures are then associated to channels, hence dragging the data with the fixture. Of course, let's look at a few things here. Since I am not only not allowed to talk pricing and on top of that I don't know the pricing, we're not talking about an "apples to apples" comparison either.

The HOG console is designed for a lighting professional, and lighting professionals have to have a lot of options and flexibility to accomodate such "additions". Having a better understanding of lighting, especially thanks to SerraAva throwing in his 2-cents(or maybe a dollar fifty) worth, it's plain to see why he makes the choices he does, and why other lighting professionals make the choices they do as well. Also, as I've learned by talking to some very talented lighting programmers/operators/designers(who work for a company called SPL, yeah, that's right Dion and Kevin, I'm giving you guys a shout-out!), they tell me that "real lighting guys use consoles". And so do other "Real lighting guys". There must be a reason why they are doing things that way, don't ya think?

MyDMX is a cost-effective software lighting controller/programmer, designed for those who what more than a basic to middle of the line MI/small company oriented hardware controllers. A Hog costs a considerable amount more, maybe somewhere in the range of 10-50 times greater, depending on the model, firmware, configuration and features. They simply can't compare.

As such, MyDMX has limitations. It sucks, but that's why there is Compu Live, which has considerably fewer limitations.

Now, going back to what SerraAva said about how it's easier to code the software to just associate the istructions with channels as opposed to associating instructions with fixtures, he may have hit the nail on the head. I am not testing this theory out right now, but I will say it may have merit that is worthy of investigation.

Looking at this from the angle of "professional lighting designer" to "weekend warrior/DJ/small sound company", a Hog can't and won't make sense to me, and it's not something I am about to buy unless I get big and have a full time lighting designer/operator who comes to me and says words to the effect that business demands a Hog console. For me, MyDMX works just fantastic and it honestly does serve all my requirements. Easy to use, lots of goodies, easy for others to learn to use. These are all good things.

Now, let's address the blame game. Who is at fault? We can't cleanly point the finger. We're cramming a fixture in that clearly has a very limited DMX addressing structure, which is forcing everything else to bump up addresses. This bump requires excessive reprogramming. Ugly, annoying, I hear ya, I feel ya, and I sure am glad I am not ya, but I am not any better off, as sometimes my scene designs require me to do "tons" of extra work. The difference is that I don't have time to whine about it, I have time to get it done, or rather I have to take the time to get it done since my clients don't give a damn about anything other than results. Yes, it sucks. Life sucks. Wear a helmet. It ain't gonna get any better. Best you can hope to do is limit the damage life is gonna throw at you.

You can even check my post histories and past postings. I've raved about MyDMX, I've ranted about MyDMX. It ain't perfect, it has shortcomings, it has limitations. But, it also works really well for me. I rave because I can share insight and information with others, who I hope in turn can benefit. I rant because the product has issues that need to be addressed, and I want to see the product be as good as it can within the limitations that the design of the software has chose to work within.

I guess the bottom line is that either way he goes, he's going to have to reprogram. He can either do it in MyDMX, or sell MyDMX, buy something else and have to start the process over again. Or, I guess he can move up to a high end console at considerable cost.

I've got hundreds of scenes in MyDMX now. I'd hate to have to reprogram them all, even if they aren't all that complicated. But, after I yell at a wall and beat the crap out of a pillow to vent my anger, I just can grumble over the time I wasted on that and get to fixing my issues instead of just getting to it in the first place. But hey, that's how I am. My customers will NOT suffer over "my problems".

It sucks that MyDMX appears to associate programming to channels, rather than associating programming to fixtures. That is apparently how it is. I would expect a higher end product like Compu Live to perhaps take that issues into consideration, and maybe they will since it's more of an "evolving product" despite being in production.

You get what you pay for. No matter how you slice it, you still get tons of bang for that buck using MyDMX. And yes, I'm gonna complain about things from time to time, but you know what? I'm still going to use it. I had my major rant-a-thon about the product, and you know what, I still took it out and proudly used it at my big show on July 25th and well, through faults not my own(facility lighting), MyDMX wasn't about to shine(ahem), but I still did my lighting show anyways and it wasn't too bad. MyDMX itself performed flawlessly as I progressively had to stage in the lights.
Start show, assemble trees, put trees on stage, fire them up, power them up, add DMX to cross the stage... add some fixtures to fill in gaps.... MyDMX kicked butt for my event.

So let me rant all I want. I rant to help improve the product.

Now, what were we talking about?
Lol. I am just going to touch a little bit on the coding aspect of instruction on fixture vs instruction on channel.

Say I have a DS575 E. It is a 24 channel fixture and I address it to channel 1. I program a scene with it and then I need to change the address to channel 101. Instruction on channel still keeps the 512 channels on the universe the same instructions, so I have to reprogram my scene. Instruction on fixture has to move and assign all 24 channels of that fixture and then empty the 24 channels where the fixture was originally addressed. While it does this, it must update the scene instructions as well for the new address. Not exactly a simple task. Well, imagine that with say 10 DS575 E's or 100 scenes or even worse, 100 cues or even worse still 100 cue stacks with 100 cues a piece. It gets real complicated real fast.

With regards to designers only using consoles and not software based controllers, the biggest reason is dedicated to the task. A PC has to do much more then just run DMX software. Now the PC has to do much more, just look at the above. Since it is also dedicated software and hardware on the console, less comparability issues and conflicts. It is a much more controlled environment. I can tell you that my Road Hog has an Asus motherboard, an Intel P4 2.8 ghz processor, a 40 gig Seagate hard drive, and 512 mb of ram. By today's standards, a below average PC. Most have dual core processors and at least 2 gigs of ram with 300+ gig hard drives.

The other major advantage to having a console is the interface.
Having all that at my finger tips is much better then trying to to get a mouse and hit all that. It would be like having a cell phone with a mouse and to text, you need to use the mouse to enter letters. Doesn't work real well. Likewise, the touch screens make things much quicker as well. Instead of having to move the mouse across two or more screens, just simple touch and its there.

Those are the two major things with regards to consoles vs software controllers. There are other advantages but those are the two major ones that come to mind.
Thanks for the wonderful images of kit I neither own or can afford. It makes me wish my shares were doing just a bit better than they are at present Smiler Keep 'em coming. I love it.

Now, many moons ago, when I was about 12 or 13, I used to program computers...some of which you have probably never heard of. I programmed in BASIC, COBOL and Assembler. Unfortunately, most of that knowledge has melted awy with time and the odd drink or twelve.
However, if I recall correctly, when we were programming with lots of related and movable data, we used to use something called data arrays. Basically tables of numbers which were able to be quickly and easily accessed and manipulated.
Now this may be a simplistic analogy, but with DMX data, there 3 principle fixture elements: 1) The starting address. 2) Length of address string (number of channels used by fixture. 3) The data value held by each address.
There is a fourth element which relates to the number of values held for each data value box, i.e. the number of steps within the total chase count, but we will come back to that.

So the above is held in array. The array does not know anything other than it holds numbers.
Now, If we need to move an item in this array, we need to know its starting address and the string length and the position it needs to move to. We can then test the destination to see if there is space to place it. If there is, a simple copy & delete routine is carried out to move the values. The length of time the execution takes is determined by the fourth element as mentioned above.

Now forgive me if I got this wrong, it is some time since I did this sort of thing, but with todays processing power, even with hundreds of steps in a show, this should only take several seconds to execute.

There is no reason why, if the data structure of the application is thought trough prior to coding, any sort of data manipulation should be possible with minimal additional coding. Hell, they could probably pull this type of routine from open source coding libraries these days, something I never had so had to code from scratch.

Anyway. As Chris previously said, I have too much time to waste here and should just get on with the job in hand.
See you in a few days.

Regards.
Never say never. I didn't think I would be doing what I am doing now with the gear I am playing with, certainly not at my age.

Hard work is key. And the Hog you can play with, just download Hog PC. You can't actually use it to control lights without a dongle, but you can at least check out the software/interface/setup/etc.
SerraAva hit it with "hard work is key".

Programmers "back in the day" would have to be mean, lean and do everything they could do reduce the size of their coding to make the apps fit on say a single sided floppy 5.25" floppy, and I can't even remember how small in data those held. 360K? It wasn't much.

Nowadays, RAM is cheap, drives are cheap. Programmers have gotten lazy as well, and so they don't code efficiently(or even properly so it seems a fair amount of time). Quality control is down the toilet and "tested" apps are often no more than "late beta releases" or in some cases, Alpha software(ugh, even buggier), then the world gets to test it and be the test platform. Never a good thing.

We have to examine if MyDMX is based on another product. I won't say what I think I know, because what I think I know I am fairly sure I think that that information may be flawed.

For what MyDMX costs, I get a lot. I expect a lot, but as a sound engineer, from what I get from MyDMX, I sure as hell am happy with it, despite my documented rants on it. I make the point that I am a sound guy and not a lighting guy deliberately, so you can see a lack of expertise in the lighting arena. Lighting for me is more of a "everything you never wanted to learn about lighting but were forced to find out anyways", and there is only so much I can take in at any given time.

Considering what MyDMX costs, you honestly can't expect a FULL set of features, it's simply not economically possible. We're talking a package designed for DJ's and I'm not going to take the low road and express my generally low opinion of DJ's here. It's just, DJ's for the most part have tied their investment into other gear, and if for a few bucks more can get a software package instead of a console and it means easier to use, if they have the laptop to spare, they'll probably go MyDMX. Since more and more DJ's are going with products like Torqe and Serrato, they are already bringing computers anyways, so what's another laptop, IF they can afford it.

It's not to say this "moving of channel data" or even "tie programming to fixtures and have the data follow where the fixure ends up" can't be done. It can be done, it could be done. WILL it be done and should it be done? Not questions I can answer. If you can do it on a dedicated lighting console, which is just after all a dedicated platform with its own software, it can clearly be done on a PC or Mac based software package. It shouldn't also take a lot of time to move the data if you don't have to do it by hand.

Since this functionality wasn't thought of in the first place, I doubt MyDMX is going to add it in there. Honestly, this seems more of a feature for Compu Live or should be in Compu Live.

In my opinion, too many people aer buying MyDMX since it has such a great price point, but then not fully researching the product ahead of time. It's these more advanced users(read: sure ain't me!!) who through their experiences, just flat out end up needing more. I feel lucky that I don't have those problems, and many problems I do know of, I know and have access to work-around solutions, mainly thanks to the simple fact that I have multiple laptops at my disposal to help me get around most of these issues.
As I've stated, based on the MSRP and street cost of myDMX, this feature is something I honestly wouldn't expect in MyDMX. It would be nice, but for me, this is more of a "Feature add" and hence it would fall outside of what they are willing to put into it.

As far as Compu Live is concerned, based on a previous posting you made, you said that this sort of functionality is also not in Compu Live. I would like to suggest that this sort of functionality be inplemented into Compu Live. After all, with Compu Live, you're getting a more full featured lighting package, so based on costs, it makes more logical sense to put this into Compu Live.
I think back to when I was buying my new mains and my new console back in 2004.

Digidesign wouldn't give me the time of day. Soundcraft? Same deal. Midas? Well, it's Midas, I couldn't afford it anyways. Yamaha? No love there. Digico? Laughed in my face. Crest, nobody home. Studer? Right, whatever. Even Mackie was copping attitude. Allen & Heath? They'd talk to me and got a $60K sale. I guess since I don't have a million bucks to spend, apparently some of the big boys don't feel the need to talk to some lowlife such as myself.

Looking for mains, got a little better love. Mackie was still acting as if their poop didn't stink and I stepped in dog doo and EAW copped the same attitude. Nexo wouldn't talk to me. Meyer didn't seem to take me seriously. MacCauley would talk to me, but it was just too much to buy, but that's how line arrays work. KV2 Audio brought me in and let me check things out. L-Acoustics wasn't into even giving me the middle finger. JBL decided I wasn't worth their time. There were other vendors, but I can't recall. $40K later, I have my KV2 Audio rig.

Money talks. Now all those vendors except Midas is trying to pretend to be nice to me. Midas won't even talk to me, bt they know where I sit with their products: Nothing I can afford, but we're otherwise on good terms. I can't afford an XL4, much less an XL8 or even a Pro6.

I hae to say that Paul clearly didn't do his homework ahead of time, best that I can tell. Then its suddenly everyone's fault but his that he's got issues/problems that let's face it, he created by buying a severely "restricted" fixture.

Jingles pointed out some good points: He's gonna have to do the work pretty much on any package anyways. I made the point of you can either whine and not get it done or just go get it done, or even "drop a product, spend more money, have to redo the work anyways and probably have to redo the work the next time something like this happens again".

Should I get all graphic? It's like I bought a Shure SM57 and now I expect Shure to kiss my butt up one side and down the other because "I'm a customer". I know, not a fair comparison, not applicable, not appropriate.

Now, if it was me, I'd probably have ranted about this issue, then it would be "whine time over, I gotta get this working" and I'd be gone and making it work. Why? Because honestly, my clients only care about end results, they don't give a crap about what it takes to get the job done. They want results. They don't care about my aching back, loading 2 tons of gear by myself, custom wiring harnesses, assembling and testing racks of gear, the grief my family gives me over this, the hours upon hours of otehr work that I won't even mention rihgt now. I just go and get the job done. And if that means a buttload of work, then I better home I have to get it done. I don't have time for excuses that my clients don't want to hear and don't care about anyways.

I want to just spout off and say what I spent on MyDMX, but that's against policy. I mean, I enjoy my DMX Operator, but MyDMX smokes it, however, it still has lots of strengths in it. Both are great products and ideal for what I do, but MyDMX is definately how I am moving forward.

Since ADJ/Elation is offering sponsorship deals, and despite my rants, I think it's well known my position. I don't even need no fancy endorsements, just a link and a shout out and I'm a happy dude. I'm a pleased ADJ customer. see lights by other brands, see what they can do, find the ADJ equivalent and then I go buy when I have money. I buy the ADJ fixture only. I won't buy non-ADJ fixtures going forward if at all possible. Yes, there may be exceptions, but I'm for the most part sticking with ADJ.

In closing: Make sure you have the right tool for the right job. Know waht you're getting into. Whining doesn't resolve anything.

I probably won't be a Compu Live client but it helps me to have some basic awareness of it. Both MyDMX and Compu Live are good products. Do your research, find what you need and purchase wisely. Common sense in business.
First of all, sorry I even brought this damn issue up. All I wanted to know was if there was a way of moving a bloody fixture address and its associated steps/chases so I could insert a new fixture. All I then get is abuse for asking a program to do a relatively simple job.

1) I did do my research before buying MyDMX. Unfortunately, my crystal ball was away getting repaired so I never forsaw this issue arising.

2) Is the task I am asking the software to do so difficult? Hell, when I was 14 I wrote a program for a Tandy TRS-80 machine to play music. For those who don't know, there was no such thing as audio cards back then & the only noise that computers made was the humming of the fans. But I did it and passed my exams with distinction. That was 29 years ago.

3) Everyone seems to have missed the fact that the product which raised this question was not DMX'able at the time I purchased it. I modified it to do so. That IS my fault. I should have left it in the dark ages. Silly me.

Ok. End of rant. I've got some work to do.

P.S. Jingles. If you could let me know what format the data is saved in when you save a show file, I will examine it and see if there is way to modify the date outwith MyDMX. If so, I may write an app to do what I need and share it with everyone, just in case someone else would like to move a fixture in future.
Please close this topic.
Sorry. I admit that when I first posted, I thought it was lack of research but corrected that error to lack of experience. I am by no means questioning intelligence. You stated that you modified an old fixture and it is fixed to channel 1. Experience gained on two fronts, controller setup within limitations and modifying old fixtures for DMX compatibility. It is just one of those things that happens.

Also, to clarify the cost situation, the cheapest console that I know of that can do what you are asking is a Road Hog or Grand Ma Ultra Lite. Both are around 20 grand a piece. There are consoles that cost more that can't do this, like the ETC Eos for example. I am not sure if the Jands Vista I3 can do this, but if it can then it is the cheapest at around 10 grand. I know the T2/T4 can but cost much more.

If you can modify the software to do something like this, I would say well done. I just feel that you will run into more issues then you think there will be and its not as easy as copy and paste. Modifying the software to do as much might as cause stability issues and unforeseen issues. I am not questioning your experience as a programmer, just your experience with regards to moving light controllers.

Again, sorry if you took it as me ripping into you. I enjoyed speaking with you however and hope this experience doesn't sully your opinion of AMDJ and/or these forums. Best of luck with your show or break a leg if its something theatre related.
Serra you will now know of a controller worth probably about anywhere from 700-3,000 cause compu live will get this feature according to a source of mine.

Djpaul the show files save as a .dlm file. i think the main coding is C++ for this program.
This thread is now closed. Anybody has any other questions please feel free to start a new thread.
I thank you all for your valuable opinions and i am glad i am a part of this community.
Sincerely,
Link copied to your clipboard.