Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, let me give my input really fast:

The Tech21 controller is definately oriented to be a guitar controller. Why? It uses patch changes, not note changes. But, MyDMX can learn Patch changes for scene calls, so it's fine. It's not something I would buy myself, but I will say it looks all metal and rugged, which are 2 things you definately DO want. But the limitations may be a butt kicker especially if you're not running your show sequentially.

Regarding the Alesis device:
Well, I just flat out dislike devices like that, and that even includes an M-Audio device(I forget the model, but it's the same thing). I prefer a BOX with ports for cables, so if something breaks, chances are it's a cable and it can be swapped out. But, will it work? Well, I honestly don't know. It depends on how it installs. MyDMX MUST have the device install as a MIDI device and not an audio device, even if it IS a MIDI device. So, without having one to try, I can't know for sure.

In my examples, my Korg nanos show up as MIDI devices, but my Akai LKP-25 shows up as an audio device. MIDIOX sees them both and they are all working, but MyDMX doesn't work with the LKP-25.

Similarly, the older M-Audio MIDISPORT 2X2 works fine because it installs as a MIDI device, while the newer but otherwise identical MIDISPORT 2X2 Anniversary Edition, last I checked, instaled as an audio device, rendering what I was using behind it for MyDMX useless. I am upgrading that computer I use those with to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit right now, and since I gotta start fresh and M-Audio uses the same driver for both, they may have addressed that problem.

Similarly, with the upgrades, maybe the LPK-25 will work fine now. But I'm not there yet. I'm still installing applications for other stuff right now. MyDMX and Compu Show, which SHOULD be high on that list, are LOW!!

In regards to the Keith MicMillen unit:
Long USB cables are expensive and break as easily as shorter ones, so buy 2 to be safe. It does have the advantage of being stand alone and bus powered, meaning less crap to lug to a gig. This device is very soft, which means you can use it to control damn near anything. This is good, but it could be bad as it is touch sensitive, which for a foot pedal, might not be the best thing in the world as most of the time, you non-guitarists(I'm one of them non-guitar guys but I'm very guitar aware) need to realize that pedals are meant to take a thrashing. They aren't called STOMP BOXES for nothing. The company claims they are durable and "beer proof", which honestly, for club use, COULD actually be an important factor to consider! The bad thing is that it can only do 6 things at once. This might not be enough.
Arrrrr ... after spending 5 hours with the Keith McMillen SoftStep, I have put it back in the box to be returned since it does not play well with MyDMX.

As most of us have learned, MyDMX does not like to have other programs running at the same time.

The SoftStep requires its own program to be running in order to make it function.

I may check out the Tech21 Midi Moose and let you know how it does. It is just a control unit, similar to the Behringer 1010 which works nicely with MyDMX. A friend of mine has the Behringer unit and, other than being a little clunky due to the two expression pedals, it does work. He's using the M-Audio MIDI to USB interface with no problems.
Well, I have gone on at length at how MyDMX doens't work well with not only being in the background, as well as "don't run MyDMX and sequencing on the same machine and expect it to not explode in a fireball of FAIL on stage" type of discussions. But we are all stubborn in one way or another. Some of us gotta learn through our own trial and error.

Step 1:
Does the SoftStep install as a MIDI device or an audio device? If it installs as a MIDI device, you're going to most likely be alright. But if installs as an audio device, you're not going to get anywhere.

Step 2:
Does installing the proper drivers help any? Sometimes class compliant devices work better with a dedicated driver, but this driver also needs to make your device install as a MIDI device.

Step 3:
Even if MIDIOX is happy and even if your favorite or least favorite MIDI package likes the device, if it's not installing to the OS as a MIDI device, you're not going to get anywhere.

Case and point: The Akai LPK-25 is a MIDI device, but installs as an audio device, and as such, MyDMX won't even see it.

Now, more similar to your SoftStep, the Novation Launchpad needs a bit of extra software to run properly and fully, but it does install with it's driver as a MIDI device. You don't get FULL compatibility but you do get more than basic functionality through MyDMX, but I just wouldn't trust anything past basic triggering. Reason being is how MyDMX handles MIDI. This is among one of the many reasons I'm asking for proper MIDI implementation of MyDMX into the OS and as a bridging device. If the developers will address this issue, it may be possible to open a whole new universe of controllers to MyDMX. However, even so, without plug-in support, users will simply be required to do a lot more configuration work on their end.

Ask the vendor if the unit installs as an audio device before wasting your time and your money.

As I'm still installing WIn 7 64-bit and drivers and such for all my stuff, I'm having to re-visit all this crap all over again.
Do post!

Just as a note for others:

The fact that something doesn't show up as a MIDI device doesn't make it a BAD device, it just means that MyDMX won't be able to recognize it due to how MIDI is currently implemented. Thanks to this new class compliant standard that many devices use, its actually provides a better general interface that makes it easier for many developers to design cost-effective hardware for(USB devices). Even so, class compliant doesn't mean that's as good as it gets. Many devices aren't fully functional in class compliant mode and work best with their own driver installed, which may move them from being an audio device to being a MIDI device. However, this can still be true with class compliant devices.

On a tangent, devices that only have the round 5 pin DIN traditional MIDI ports, this doesn't apply. Now it's all up your MIDI interface! The MIDI interface is the item that acts as the conduit between MIDI and the computer. Since barely anyone is doing MIDI via serial connectivity anymore, I won't go into the async conversions to a USB stream. The other option is Firewire, but that's typically going to be integrated in a unit that's doing more than just 1394 to MIDI, it will also be an audio interface.

The MIDIMoose doesn't appear to connect via USB, so the audio/MIDI device discussion is irrelvant and non-applicable. You're going to need a USB MIDI interface to use this with MyDMX. No need to waste their time with a phone call. Get to the music store to investigate a MIDI interface!
MyDMX can work off patch changes. It works better with note on/off, but patch changes are fine.

Again, the key here is your MIDI interface. You're sort of putting the cart ahead of the horse here. IF your MIDI interface is seen as an audio device, you're already dead in the water.
Yippee .... success at last Big Grin

The Tech21 Midi Moose foot controller and the M-Audio Midisport 1X1 MIDI-to-USB interface play nicely with MyDMX.

The Midi Moose gives you access to 5 scenes at a time via foot buttons. You simply hit the Up or Down foot controller buttons to get to the next bank of 5 buttons/scenes. (1-5; 6-10; 11-15; etc.)

There is a catch ... the scene names in MyDMX must be unique. For example, I have a scene named Blackout. I want to go to a Blackout scene on each bank using foot controller buttons 5, 10, 15, etc.

Each of the MyDMX scenes will respond to only one MIDI command, so I can only use the scene named "Blackout" for one button.

The simple solution is to copy the Blackout scene and give name extensions such as Blackout 1, Blackout 2, etc.

Additionally, if you use the Next command for one scene to trigger another, you will have to disable the Next feature while that scene learns the MIDI command. Otherwise, it may have jumped to the next scene before it learned the command.

Now ... what button did I program for the strobe? Hmmmm ... I'm going to have to create an overlay so I know which button does what! Cool
Doesn't sound like an ideal solution, but definately a working one.

Your issue here is that you need a compatible MIDI interface, which in this example is the MIDISPORT 1X1. After that, it's all MIDI on the back end, so if the interface is compatible, you're gold.

No, you don't need to make different black-out scenes, but I won't say don't unless you're running at the limit of scenes in MyDMX(I think it's like 249 or something like that). If you program pad 1 on each bank as your blackout by giving it the same parameters(including MIDI channel), then it SHOULD theoretically work because MyDMX is just looking at channel and "instruction", which for scene changes should ideally be either patch changes(not the best but usable) or note on commands.

Regarding the NEXT:
MyDMX is simple. Program the MIDI trigger, it handles the rest from there, provided you set it up properly in the first place. But you are right in the fact that you want to make sure you're still in the scene you want to trigger when you show it the trigger! My suggestion, make a LONG step at the top or bottom that you can delete later on.

And last but not least, the one we almost ALL have problems with: remembering what goes where! Definately come up with some sort of cheater system that works for you!

Good to hear about another controller success story.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.