Skip to main content

i downloaded the free software from elations website. i was wondering how i can connect my computer up to my dmx operator? is there a special interface and if so where can i get one? i also am thinking about buying a mac laptop is there software for macs that anyone knows of? any info at all will be great
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Practically any MIDI sequencing software that runs on the MAC platform can be used to control your DMX Operator. Brands like Logic and Mark of the Unicorn distribute powerful Mac-based software sequencers.

I'm much more familiar with the Windows platform than the Mac but in any event you will need a MIDI interface and a MIDI cable to connect your computer to the DMX Operator. I'm told that most Macs have a built-in MIDI interface. If not, you'll have to purchase one separately (like us PC owners).

Is your Elation software designed to run on Mac or Windows?
the elation software is made to run for pc. the thing is im not sure what laptop im gunna get. a friend is pushing me towards the new notebook but ive been using a pc all my live so thats what im used to plus all the software ive found for lighting is on a pc i might go with a pc laptop im not really sure what to do.
quote:
Originally posted by jonnyblazed420:
[qb]i downloaded the free software from elations website.

1. i was wondering how i can connect my computer up to my dmx operator?
    2. is there a special interface and if so where can i get one?
    3. i also am thinking about buying a mac laptop is there software for macs that anyone knows of?

any info at all will be great[/qb]

there is a cable, although i am really stumped (OH RHUE time 4 yur help)
the best bet of finding one is at radioshack Big Grin
but a mac OS isn't that good (of what i've been told.)
ATTN all Apple users
There is an OSX based DMX controller for you. Its called LanBox and the software that goes with it is called LCedit.
I have apples and was really worried I might have to by a cheap PC for PC based DMX software till I found this.
Its not exactly super easy to use but its not terribly complicated either. I just got mine up and running and I am slowly learning to program. From what I can tell in my early stages or learning, this is a very nice little system.
For more info go to <Links NOT Permitted> Its from a company out of the Netherlands. The boxes range from about $300 to about $550. Sure beats the $1500 you pay for PC software from ******. The program itself it free for down load and you can play around with it with before you buy the box.
As far as I know this is the only apple solution out there. Email me if you want to know more about the box, patrick@crystalmustang.com
Most Computer with soundcards also have a built in MIDI Interface. If your soundcard has a joystick port, then it will do midi. You can buy an adapter cable at a music store, it goes from the DB15 to 2 5pin DIN plugs for MIDI In and Out. And there are lots of inexpensive MIDI sequencers for the PC platform out there. Look at Cakewalk's Home Studio 2002 or Cubase. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Paul DeRocher
Technical Service Manager
ALPS/Advanced Lighting
hey speedbump could you email me that link and any info u have on the lanbox that would be awesome. i heard that you dont need a certain box for your software since it is midi it should just work. someone also told me i might be able to find a dmx to usb cable. do you know anything about this? also dose anyone know what midi means? thanks everyone

my email is lightinguy@gasfoodandlodging.org
Hey Jonnyblazed420 - the software is free from elation because you need the "DMX Dongle" (connection box) to make it drive the lights. The software and the dongle replace the Operator. If you want to continue using the operator - don't use the elation software to output MIDI (I don't think it even does...) - use a sequencer (any one will do) for that. (Remember when driving lights on the DMX Operator with midi - it only responds to "note on" messages, filter anything else and set the note lengths to the same, short, length)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.