Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

To get the faders to work in user mode with NanoKontrol you will have to set it up in the Editor screen. After that on the User screen you either have to make the channels you want to control HTP(highest takes precedence) or LTP(latest takes precedence). LTP would work better for live applications because you would be able to run your show then tweak as necessary.
Good morning Jingles, I used the Mydmx and the Korg lastnight worked great for how I have it setup now. What I would like to do is have a master fader, I can get it in Editor mode just fine but in User mode it's not there, I know the HTP LTP AUTO but I switch those the scene doesn't run the way I'd like.
I think the issue depends on "what do you mean by master fader?"

I saw a Leprechaun console that the sound company used with Bill Cosby, where they did in fact have a master channel that was able to have dimmer control over everything.

In MyDMX, you can't really have a master control that behaves as a GLOBAL, but I have some ideas that might help. Examples work best.

I'm going to limit this to LED fixtures I own just to narrow things a bit.

I have 8 ADJ 64 LED Pros. Each has their own address. Using a nanoKONTROL and MyDMX, in Bank 1 on the nanoKONTRO, I assigned Fader 1 to all red, 2 to all gree, 3 to all blue and 4 to dimmer on each light's assigned DMX channels. I get global control over all of those. To do this I had to repeat the process on each light: Go to fixture channel, right-click, assign MIDI, move fader- learned. Repeat per fixture.

So, if you want that kind of control, then sure.

Keep in mind:
You can assign the same MIDI control to multiple channels. You cannot assign multiple MIDI controllers to any channel
Hello Chris, I did exactly that to the dimmer channel and it worked in editor but not user mode.
The HTP and LTP tabs have me screwed up, I change those for this to work and my scenes do not perform as I made them. Example a chase scene do you know what I'm getting at?

Thanks,
Jim
Yes, I know what you're getting at, but I'm not sure how to best explain it.

I have done MIDI assignments from the USER page, I think. You right click the fader, the "learn MIDI" thing comes up, you select that, do some MIDI function and it goes away. But regardless of WHERE you've done that, you've done that, so we can move past that.
(the above was mainly to help newbies on the product).

I set my foggers for LTP. The rest I leave in AUTO mode these days. I manually control most of the foggers. There is a button that switches between AUTO, HTP and LTP in USER mode. You select this PER CHANNEL that you want "show control" MIDI capabilities to.

In EDIT mode, your MIDI controls flat out WORK, but can alter scene information if you're not careful. This is why in every show I do, the first listed scene is a "Work scene", which is done to just accept any garbage done and is NOT used in the actual event.

HTP and LTP functionality can only be set on a per channel basis in USER mode and must be set in order to have any sort of control while in a show/scene, which would include mousing up/down faders or MIDI control

Here's my suggestion:
Using your choice of the 3D Visualizer(since you don't have to set anything) or lights or both, DO play around with this. You really have to mess with this to ensure that what you've chosen works how you expect it to work. I think LTP will over-ride a fader position since the scene might be called AFTER the fader has been set. HTP is sort of wierd and often works best for correcting a dim setting that is just not bright enough.

In regards to a chase scene, what would you want to do do for that? I think I need to know what you intend to accomplish in this multi-step scene to advise or make suggestions as to how to go about addressing it.
Thanks Chris,the chase scene is for a few songs the band plays, right now the singer has his 360's and scanners on his controller along with a couple of led bars. Anyway we have a blue chase scene they like.

EDIT:I did what you said with the LTP mode in user on the dimmer faders and assigned them to a fader on the Korg it works great with chases. Only problem I have some lights on the scene 2 on the Korg and cannot get the fader to respond the same
Last edited by Former Member
Good.

The LTP/HTP stuff is "global" for all scenes. It's like I said, you have to experiment with that to see what works for you.

Personally speaking, if you have your scenes programmed right, you ideally shouldn't need the controller a whole lot. That's not entirely true though. Say you have a complex scene(complex because of movers), you can use the controller to bring up banks of other lights.

In the big show I do,(in this case it's programmed), I have things pulse between red and blue. If I had banks of regular cans, I could do some sweeps with my movers(they are just static up with a rotating gobo, which is fine for now), I could let sweeping movements go with the movers while using the faders on the controller to bring up/down the red and blue banks.

The reality is that since i'm using all LED, it's not really a possibility based on how I programmed the scene, but that's OK.

You might want to use LTP mode, which is "last takes priority". That IDEALLY should be your over-ride mode at least until another scene comes in, which would be the new "latest/last".

For a while, when I was doing more manual control, I had some set for LTP, some for HTP. I can't say anything other than with your experimentation, you'll figure what you need to set in which manner.
I had a great response all typed up, I click "submit now" and seconds earlier my ISP took a big steaming dump on me(ain't the first, ain't the last).

So, I'll cut out some of it of what I recall.

To clarify you're talking about the second Scene in the nanoKONTROL?

Each bank in the nanoKONTROL is assigned a unique controller and/or note as applicable. Now, assuming the software and/or controller will allow, you could say, sacrifice fader 9 in each bank and assign it the same MIDI CC information in each of the 4 banks using the configuration tool that you have to download for free from Korg.

The thing is, and this isn't a weakness with MyDMX, you can't assign the same multiple MIDI controllers to single DMX channel.

For those newbies or confused, let me explain:
While I wouldn't wnat to or need to do with the original poster is inquiring about, it's actually quite a valid concept. In digital audio consoles, things are arranged in banks, and sections(and/or depends on each desk). Engineers want to have their "money channels" in a consistent location that while they maybe CAN switch it, often won't for safety purposes.

This is no different except we're talking a controller that sells for around $65 and is made of plastic. Having a master channel readily available in each of the 4 banks CAN logically make a lot of sense. But the only way this will work with the nanoKONTROL is to give up a fader or controller in each bank(kob perhaps, and maybe a button for blackout).

For me, this isn't something I would need as I'm not doing TONS of control live and using the scenes to drive things. I just want a little bot of control here and there for certain devices to deal with problems or make adjustments. For me, the ground fogger has to be timed properly, so it can be difficult to get it to come ON and OFF properly, so DMX controlling helps but isn't 100% practical, and I often find having to go from auto to LTP and taking the fogger OUT of the scene at the request of the director. On a different note, the hazer is turned ON by me but the director requests it go off several times, so I just manually control that one.

If you're wanting to do everything on the fly, then it makes more sense to keep a handy master fader around. Just seems a poor utilization of MyDMX though, but hey, whatever. The last thing you want is to have to switch banks and miss it and have to come around again just to dim everything down. In the thick of a show, you ain't got time for that. But for me, I programmed 3 blackouts: A SNAP blackout(immediate ALL ZERO values to ALL channels) and then a slow blackout(10 seconds), and a somewhat fast blackout at 3 seconds of fade, and all are available via hotkeys on my keyboard for easy access.

Back to MyDMX:
When you program a MIDI control(learn), it only remembers the last one you did.
Since the controls programmed into the nanoKONTROL are different on each scene, you'll have to either jump to the right scene, or see if the software and/or hardware will allow you to use the same programming parameters for a chosen fader or knob on the nanoKONTROL.
Back to MyDMX:
When you program a MIDI control(learn), it only remembers the last one you did.
Since the controls programmed into the nanoKONTROL are different on each scene, you'll have to either jump to the right scene, or see if the software and/or hardware will allow you to use the same programming parameters for a chosen fader or knob on the nanoKONTROL.

Ok the reason for this is, I have someone who runs the lighting for one of the bands I work with and they asked.I tried assigning the midi control in scene 2 on the Korg to the fader#2.
It works for a minute, but I lose the assigned fader I had in scene 1. I'm not using the same fader either, #1 in scene 1 and #2 in scene 2.
I agree with alot of what you said,but if I can make them happy I will.

Thanks,
Jim
1:
You're dead on with the learn. It only recalls the LAST learned command assigned to a DMX channel and/or trigger for a scene.

2: Again, right on as far as you getting the concept down perfectly. You will have to jump to the right scene and/or see if you can replicate programming for elements on different scenes. So, again, you've got this concept down 100%

You don't want to use the faders and knobs to trigger scenes, you'll want to use the buttons IF you're planning to trigger scenes with it.

When you switch scenes, you don't really lose it, but you do lose the ability to DIRECTLY control it. As in, you do this that and the other in scene 1(as in on the nanoKONTROL, for those of you following along), and then switch to scene 2(on the nanoKONTROL). What happens is that when you come back to Scene 1, it's in a soft/clutch mode, where it is retaining the values last used on that scene. The clutch feature comes when you adjust anything, that controller element then immediately jumps to the NEW VALUES, not each one, only ones adjusted.

But right now you're not really utilizing MyDMX as it was intended to be used. You're right now making a LOT of extra work for the person requesting it, but hey, if they want to work their butt off, then so be it, right?

Use the nanoKONTROL to help program, but when it comes showtime, it's not quite as critical an element.

Personally, also, I don't see why you just don't use fader 1 & 2 on the nanoKONTROL in Scene 1 to do whatever control you're trying to aaccomplish.

Not to lay another example, but here it goes:
Scene 1:
Faders 1,2,3,4 are RGB and Dimming for my 64 LED Pros(8 of them). Faders 5-8 do the same thing for my Mega Panels. Knobs 1-4 are used the same way for my Mega Bar 50's, while knobs 5-8 are used for my Color Fusions.

Scene 2: I forget exactly how I did this, but I think Faders 1 & 2 were X and Y control for Mover 1, and 3 & 4 are X & Y Control for Mover 2. Knobs 1 & 2 were X/Y FIne for Mover 1, and knobs 3&4 were X/Y fine control for Mover 2. I think the gobos went to another fader or knob, and color went to another, but these were for BOTH. I know I had sufficient channels left over to use Fader 9 for my Chauvet Intimidator Color dimming, and the knob for the color wheel.

I think going back to Scene 1, Fader 9 was used for spotlight dimming, and knob 9 for color wheel.

Scene 3, I think I used for High-tech FX and other crap on dimmer packs.(laregely NOT used).

Scene 4 is Fader 1: ground fogger.
Fader 2: Fogger
Knob 1: Hazer
Knob 2: Flame effect off a dimmer pack.

Works fine.

I think you might need more clarification but it's best for you to ask now to see if I've confused you or not.

I think I need to know what he's asking for specifically and his logic behind it to see if there is a valid reasnon for it.

One must keep in mind that in MyDMX< a scene is a collection of steps with values. On the nanoKONTROL, a scene is a bank of controllers, thus expanding functionality at reduced proce, and turning a small 9 fader/9 knob, 18-button surface into a 36 fader, 36 knob and 72-button unit with no footprint adjustment at minimal cost.
Hi Chris,
I think we're talking the same thing here. I'm just not getting it across what I'm doing. Ok I'll give it a whirl, I have all the scenes in Mydmx assigned to the buttons and on scene 1 in the Korg I have fader 1 setup to be the master dimmer. Ok now I have a scene 2 in the Korg with a few more Mydmx scenes also assigned to the buttons. Problem is this I cannot get a Master fader to work in scene 2 on the Korg as I do in scene 1, I even tried a different fader.

Jim
This goes back to duplicating the programming of a controller within the nanoKONTROL.

If it was me, I'd make fader 9 the master fader(OK, that just sounds bad..). Why? Goes with console logic, that's why.

But, screw that logic for a moment, because it's trivial.

If you want to use Fader 1 in each scene as a master dimmer/fader, you'll need to duplicate the COMPLETE configuration of that controller in each of the 4 scenes in the nanoKONTROL. If you think you've done it and still aren't seeing it, you probably forgot to duplicate the MIDI channel as well. That's an easy one to overlook.

What I suggest is you donwload the free MIDIOX program, which you can use to test stuff, and you'll see your problem quickly.

If you can CLONE the configuration of a controller on the nanoKONTROL to another controller, then you're gold. All myDMX cares about is the MIDI channel(could care less which ones you do use) and MIDI data. If you assign on the nanoKONTROL, scene 1, fader 1 to a certain MIDI channel and certain CC, and repeat ALL of that to the same controller but in different scenes, MyDMX will see what it is looking for.

Now, keep in mind, the JLCooper CS102 only uses MIDI channel 16, but by default, the nanoKONTROL uses more MIDI channels than that.

Keep looking around, you'll find it and fix it. I don't screw with my unit, I need it for ProTools so I'm not going to dink with it if I don't absolutely have to.

Oh, and don't forget to write those values to the controller. That's another one that's easy to overlook.

Honestly, I think you're SO close to getting this done that you're probably frustrated as to why you're THIS CLOSE but stil failing.

Incidentally, why do you need this master fader and why is your light guy so insistent on having a controller? Not to say you don't need a controller, but it seems he's trying to emulate a manual operation of something that can be heavily automated.
At the rate you're going, you should be quite pleased with yourself. I'd take that momentum and keep plugging away. You're SUPER close, so don't quit now.

For me, switching to the correct nanoKONTROL scene is not an issue, as I have no choice. But if you do have the option, go for it!
Well, I can't say what's going on for sure. It seems like you've got it.

Double check your MIDI channel. I honestly don't have the time to play around with mine as I'm under a tight deadline to get another project done.

I will say this:
You'll of course have to make changes to the nanoKONTROL before you open up MyDMX, and don't forget to write the values. But, I think you know this and have done this, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'll see what I can do but don't expect miracles.

Here's some insight into my situation:
I have to FIGHT all day long to be able to work(starting as often as 5AM...), which can take until 10PM when the fight can stop(when the kids pass out from exhaustion and wife stops throwing attitude trips at me), and then I have from 10PM to 2AM to try to cram in all the work I was trying to accomplish the rest of the time. And by then, I'm too burned out to want to work.

Ah, the joys of being self employed.

But back to your situation:
I can't see why copying a scene would result in different or non-working results. There's no hardware layer sub-addressing going on, at least not to my knowledge and it's not within the MIDI spec. I know some devices use a device to device proprietary protocol for certain things(like cloning 2 Roland keyboards), but you have to throw at least one of them into that mode.
The original poster is trying to satisfy someone who can't be bothered to make an effort.

The original poster IS making a massive effort, because someone else is too lazy to pay attention. We all have to accomodate those types until we say "hey, there's no "I" in team. There's no "U" either. Get it? You're fired!"
Ok I'm back playing around with the Nanokontrol and multiple scene fade assignment. What I've tried so far is this opened the Korg editor selected the Nanokontrol and copied the fader setting from scene 1 to scenes 2,3,4.
But I still cannot get this to work, any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim
Double check your MIDI channels.

I'm not tweaking mine. I have too much other applications that rely on it so I'm not taking the chance on it.

I can't see why you're bending yourself over backwards to accomodate someone else who refuses to make an effort. Forgive me for being crass, but I'd have fired their ass by now for being a pain in one. Tell them "hey, retard, this is how it works. Adjust to it or go hit the pavement."
Yeah, WRITING will make all the difference.

Korg is somewhat old school in some regards. They really want you to COMMIT to whatever it is you're doing. I prefer this for some things. If I'm doing something massive like tweaking a controller, I wwant it to be deliberate.

When it comes to my lighting, I want the changes to be easy to save and easy to make. MyDMX does both. Compu Show is relatively easy to change, but makes a real effort to save properly. I prefer an easier save process as I like to save fast and frequently to keep the work flow going.

Reconfiguring a controller is something that is very deliberate. Amazing what functionality you can get out of a cheap $65 controller!(cheap in price, not anywhere else!)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.