Skip to main content

I live in a fraternity that is adding lights to our party room.

I have about $1300 to spend on this little project. I want to go DMX so that we can easily upgrade later when we have more money.

I was thinking about getting two PR Panda II's, a Mega Flash/DMX, and a mini fogger (I know it's not DMX but we need very little fog.

I need help picking out a DMX controller for about $150-200 and some kind of wash lights for about $315 or so all together. I was looking at the p64 LED (thinking about two of them) and the DMX operator for the controller.

Are the p64 led's going to be enough to give me just a little bit of wash effect in a room about 25' by 30'? About half of the room is really used for dancing and the other part for just chilling. Also, are there better controllers for the money than the DMX Operator?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Maybe the DMX Programmer (64 channels) would be slightly cheaper. The Operator would allow for more expansion later down the line (128 channels). That's about it for intelligent DMX controllers in that price range. Controllers like the Magic 260 and Show Designers are much more powerful, but cost more too. The par64 LEDs have fair output, two should be just fine for a little wash. It may not be dramatic, but it'll do just fine.

I know nothing about PR lighting, so I can't help you there.

Think about the strobe before you comitt to buying one. Think about how much you'll actually use it at parties. People might find it annoying, maybe they will not. It may be something to cut out to save a few bucks. An 800 watt strobe is going to be brutal in that area. I've sent people running for the back of a club, 50+ feet off with a 750 watter.

Leave yourself some cash to take care of accessories/incidentals. You''ll need extension cords, DMX/XLR cables, and anything else you'll need to 'install' the lights. Make sure you have sufficient power in the room, and that any wiring or electrical issue is handled appropriately and safely.

Heat-related, ventillation, wiring, and rigging issues are big things to consider particularly when undertaking a do-it-yourself, in-home lighting install. Many lights come with manufacturer recommendations not to install club lighting in your home, particularly heavier, heat-producing fixtures.

Just make sure you think things through and do your homework. Saftey is paramount. Don't cut corners. Spend the money to do it right.

Best,
-Tech
The Color Shot looks kind of interesting. Shouldn't be nearly as bright, but it is a DMX fixture with color mixing (so you can strobe in different colors).

Many of the other less powerful DMX strobes by ADJ have been discontinued, but may still be out on the market somehwere. It might just take a little more research to find them.

The Operator will be able to control the LED Par cans and the DMX strobes just fine, as long as the fixtures you are trying to control use a DMX control signal.
Just as a sideline note on the strobe issue... I own 2 LED64 par cans and they can strobe in any color you wish including white. I basically don't use my regular strobe very much anymore. You can most likely forget about the strobe completely if you go with the LED64's. Also, you can vary the intensity of the light output from a soft to very hard bright strobe. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.