Skip to main content

Hi guys!
OK, I've had 4-Pocketscans/DMX Operator for well over a year now but I just right now signed up to the forum...First of all I'd just like to thank AMDJ... This setup is a godsend! I've been able to utilize this setup to the max and was able to get rid of so many lights with this setup by being able to "mimic" the par cans,strobes,slow lights,etc all from this setup...First I programed all the mirrors facing forward with the same "big spot" gobo on all 4 but each scan had a different color...From there I saved this setting across 8 different scenes so when it would chase in music mode the colors,gobos,mirror position would stay the same....Then I went in and turned some on/off on the different scenes so when they chased to the music,they would simply just turn on and off like a set of par cans...I use that setting for Top40/Country type songs....Then I programmed all of them facing the same way,same gobo only making the color white on all of them with the strobe effect turned on...That setting works great with Hard Rock/Metal and did away with my strobe lights...Last, I made them all blue,same gobo but turned the mirrors all in different directions save to a scene, turn them all in a different order save to another scene and did this til I had 8 scenes with the mirrors going in all different directions,lights all stayed on in every scene but the color stayed blue and gobo stayed the same...I use this chase in auto mode with the speed slowed way down...This works awesome for slow songs! The mirrors move really slow and in no particular direction...That takes care of the slow songs and the programming was more intense for the Dance type songs and when I really want it hopping, I just turn the operator off and let the internal programs really steal the show...I do still take some beacons and 1 strobe along but the Pocket Scans are definately the heart of the show...It's amazing at how many jobs they can do...WHEW!!!Heck of a first post eh? Eeker
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

YEAH!!! i get to greet a new member!! welcome to an absolute plethora of info on this site!! sounds like you have a great show, the only thing i would recomend getting for slow songs is a mirror balls. ahhhh intels and a mirror ball...can't be beat! this way your show stays fresh. I can watch intels all night but variety is always a plus. again welcome to the board!
Did you get the Pocket Scans with the "Laser" built in?

Geez, I feel like Dr. Evil when I say that - LOL.

I estimate you paid about $2,500.00 for the 4 ps and the DMX Operator. Is that about right? Are you lighting a band or are you a DJ?

I'm new to this, so I'm fact finding, hope you don't mind.

Al
Hello Light It Up! The mirror ball idea sounds really cool...Just program two of the scans with the spot gobo pointed at the ball...You could even make the color gobo slowly change from color to color sort of like a color wheel...I like it!...They really do cut down so much on light set up time...
kbrkr...Yes, All the pocket scans come with built in lasers...I have a few programs with just the lasers and honestly it doesn't do anything for me smoke or no smoke,It just looks kind of lame... OTOH I think the lasers look pretty cool and adds a nice touch in the factory scenes working together with the regular scan stuff...I didn't pay anywhere near your $2500 quote....I got the 4 PocketScans,******* controller which IS a DMX Operator with the ******* name silk screened on it because it was cheaper at the time, 4 Hosa XLR cables,4 clamps,light stand with 10' truss with a T bar at the top of each stand and an extra bulb for around $15-1600 brand new..Are you excited? Grab your credit card and go Go GO! Big Grin I do DJ work so they work great for that...I'm not sure how they would work for a band because they are only 100 watt bulbs and you would have to compete with the stage lights lighting the band...I think if I was doing the band thing, I would seriously look at those new Concept intels...Even the Concept 1 has 250w bulbs which sure looks very exciting to me!...
Hello DJILUSION02....I got them at Washington Music Center in Wheaton Md....They buy in bulk of everything and pass the deals on...I was really happy with the price as well...I've seen them refurbed on ebay for $249 each so you could actually get a system together for less than I paid...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.