Skip to main content

OK, new question. The mirrors like to move in spurts. Like a sweep across the room is very jerky. Is it supposed to be like that or am I missing a setting to turn the X/Y resolution up?

This is what I get for trying new lights. I should be pretty well versed on these thing by the time I actually put them in a show.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Fixtures with built in lasers are good for focusing a show in daylight or during times when you don't have full black-out in the venue yet.

I agree though, that a laser is kind of goofy in a scanner. Now, if it was a laser that was similar to a regular standalone laser unit (galvos, etc.), then it would be quite a unique feature. Then, you'd have a scanner that could feature something like the classic liquid sky effect.
Chances are, by the time you're done experimenting and swapping motors, you'll find to get the results you want, you'll still need to get the proper fixture. And it would be cheaper too.

Of course, there's the valid case of "modify and your warranty of shot", which is true.

You also have to consider HOW the light was designed to operate. It's not just a matter of swapping gears and belts and motors and drive assemblies. You also need to reverse engineer the entire fixture(violating patent protection laws) as well as re-write the chipset EPROM(Probably a ROM, cheaper in quantity, but then again, eproms aren't all that expensive either).

My advise:
Get the fixture that does what you want. Trying to make a light do something it wasn't intended to do is just not wise. Then you get a confused fixture that doesn't understand it's chipset properly, which will eventually lead to mechanical failure. Worse case scenario is all the suddent there's no move movement since this is pretty much all internal, and you're left scratching your head trying to figure out WTF for a few minutes.

Right tool for the right job. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to find my hammer. I have some jewelry I need to polish.
I agreee... But this would be an experimentation... As far as warranty on that experimental unit, that doesn't concern me... It's all in the name of science Wink...

Last I checked when you BUY something it's yours, you can reverse engineer/modify it for your own personal use all you want.

It was just a random thought to have to tinker with. BTW I love the lights, they are working great.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.