Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think the bigger question is not how far, but really effective range.

OK, my comparible is the Chauvet Follow Spot 400G or whatever the hell they call it(they use some goofy product names vs real names, don't ask me why they do that crap). The bulb is 375 watts, and it is really a re-packaged ADJ FS2500(which uses a lower rated bulb).

I'm not sure how far it throws, but in white, I can throw nicely across the street, from my 20+ foot driveway, across a 40-foot wide street and another 20-foot driveway and onto the garage door. Usable, definately. I think this throw is similar to what I was using at my big show(there's a photo from Spot 1 position highlighting someone). Of course, when I use a color from the color wheel, effective range tanks. I would expect the same results from the ADJ model for the exact same reason.

In your case, with your choice, you're using a 575-watt bulb for the fixture you've chosen. What I like is the size at 60 feet. But, without the photometrics, the beam width isn't really an indicator of effective distance.

The weakness I see with the FS1000 is that its white only unless you use the gel/gobo holder. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, this is too restrictive as I need colors to help set moods/character identities. Even so, most of the bigger shows I've done, all they used was white for the most part.

I don't know what your application is, but I'm assuming a school theater, I would think 120 feet would be a pretty average throw. And since you're doing white only, I think you'd be rather happy.

For me, I really want DMX control whenever possible. I don't see this being a necessity, as long as you have an intercom and spot operators who are paying attention. I had to go into manual over-ride mode at my last event and had to build a quick intercom using my wireless in-ears and headworn mics and bodypack transmitters. It worked pretty good. It was necessary because of some DMX quirks going on. They paid attention with few errors. Went well.

Bulbs:
Seriously, unless support says it's OK to use something BIGGER, I would really stick with the recommended bulb. Failure to do so could blow the fuse or cause a fire. Most likely, you'd blow the fuse or breaker on the fixture(that's why it's there). Support knows best. Of course, if you have questions about bulbs, support can also offer alternatives IF they exist.
Then that settles it then! Plus, it appears according to the ADJ site, the fixture is fairly affordable.

Don't forget, it does include a gel holder so you can get a second color should you ever need it.

You also have adjustments so you can get a soft or hard edge beam. I like a hard edge beam personally.

My only other advise is to just go ahead and get spare bulbs and have them handy. I'm getting "up there" on a few of my fixtures, soI want to just be prepared for when the inevitable happens. Of course, that's part of the reason I am going LED whenever possible.
I've had, and used an FS-1000 for 10 years now with no problems at all except the occasional need to change a bulb here and there. Last Tuesday I installed a new bulb (specs wise the same bulb I've always used)and all was fine for the better part of 2 days. On the second day, which was the first day of my show, the fuse blew, I installed a new fuse and it blew again right away. Another fuse and the light worked for one whole show on Friday night. The first time I went to use it with the Saturday show it blew again. I installed another fuse and it worked for one cue and then blew again. So are there any ideas out there as to what I can do or what might be the problem?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.