Skip to main content

I have a FC 400 controller and two LED Mystic lights, and I plan on buying the Par64 LED lights. Is there a way I can set up the FC400 to control lights and the Mystics as well? I am not able to figure out how to use the controller to set up a scene to just turn the Mystics on or off. Any suggestions?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No.

The FC400 is designed to be used with a 4-channel dimmer pack and cans. So, you could use a switching pack and control a non DMX Mystic since all you'd do is turn it on and off.

Upgrade to a controller console or perhaps MyDMX. Your new lights require such. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You're stepping into DMX, so you need to ensure you have the right back end equiment to accomodate it.
You didn't, but that's OK. You said enough to point people in the direction you're headed, so that was just as helpful.

You're definately growing past what the FC-400 is intended for with the lights you're buying and looking to get. So, my suggestion would be the following:

If you're using a MIDI-based foot controller, you could go to something like the DMX Operator, which has MIDI input. You can use note values to select scenes. So, if your foot controller can send note-on commands, you can use that to trigger scenes that you've programmed into the DMX Operator.

I saw a MIDI foot-based keyboard type controller, something like I saw on the Def Leppard Historia/In The Round In Your Face video. Wow, over $2300. A definate "don't buy this because it's too expensive" item!

I mention the DMX Operator because I know it. Elation and ADJ make other controllers with MIDI capabilities.

Another option might be MyDMX if you're looking for software on a PC for your lighting control.

What it comes down to is making sure that whatever way you go, you plan ahead and have more capabilities than you need so it can grow with you.

Any other questions?

Have fun with the new toys. If you want to try MyDMX, you can download it from the ADJ site. As far as other controllers, hopefully you have the chance to try before you buy. It's sometimes not an easy thing to run out and buy a controller. I got lucky with the DMX Operator and even though I'm barely using this unit based on what it CAN do, I've been very pleased with it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.