Skip to main content

Hello.
I have a question about both the fantasy 250 (non-scan) and the accu roller 250.
The problem I am having is that I can't control if the lamp is on or off via my DMX controller. For DMX I am using sunlite for pc. Do these lights have the option to turn off the lamp when not in use?

So my question is what channel is the lamp located on and how can I turn it off via dmx?

Thanks.
Dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've just enduring a traumatic experience so forgive me for not downloading a PDF and educating myself for not doing some research before responding.
(Traumatic experience: Drunkioke at the inlaws for a 3rd thursday in November awkward-fest, contact me off-line for juicy details, or rather non juicy details. I lost 9 feedback eliminators to those people).

Let me relay a different item. For example, a light I own, the Chauvet QSpot-150. It's a decent mover, but, the bulb is ON full time. There is a shutter function. it works, but it ain't great. It can do strobing via the shutter that's sort of nifty. For me, it works fine because it's either FULL OPEN shutter or shutter full on. There IS NOT DMX CHANNEL that contols the lamp. Based on how I use this fixture, it's not an issue.

There are multiple reasons for this type of feature. One of which goes with the type of bulb, some bulbs prefer to be on full, while others can take dimming. It's a design thing. Doesn't necessarily mean a cheaper fixture if the bulb stays on full time, but it typically is seen used in that way.

Had I known THEN what I know now, I'd see if I could buy a mover with the same feature set but with dimming.

So, in closing, some fixtures have the option to turn off or dim the bulb, some don't. Download and check your manuals for further clarifications as to what a fixture is capable of doing.
That's what I figured was the answer. I have looked though both of the manuals and found nothing about dmx and lamps.

I was hoping to hang these two lights on a truss that was high off the ground but that would mean they would always be on when not in use.

So I guess I will have to work up a new plan for them. They are rental anyway so its not that big of a deal I was just trying them out to see if I liked them.

Thanks Chris.
Well, I can certainly see your issue. Putting a set of lights up on a truss, that means they are going to be there full time and not accessible easily, so bulb changes can be a hassle.

While you don't attach DMX fixtures to dimmer packs, you can tie them to a light switch and just power them off at night. Or, a more low-teck approach might be to unplug a cable that goes to them or perhaps a power strip. I know of a club that used to switch off certian breakers at night to ensure things went off. I don't remember if it was for lighting or not, but the end result is the same.

Just some ideas. Nothing original, all been done before.
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.